Smart consumers don't have brand loyalty, or said another way, smart consumers are open minded enough to not be blinded by brand loyalty. Smart consumers evaluate their needs with new products and evaluate what solution meets their needs better versus just sticking with one brand even if it is lacking...

The above applies to all products, really, not just smartphones.
    12-01-10 10:03 AM
    Smart consumers don't have brand loyalty, or said another way, smart consumers are open minded enough to not be blinded by brand loyalty. Smart consumers evaluate their needs with new products and evaluate what solution meets their needs better versus just sticking with one brand even if it is lacking...

What is this Mythical Smart consumer?

though I do agree with you
    12-01-10 10:11 AM
    What is this Mythical Smart consumer?

though I do agree with you
    I am a good example of a mythical smart consumer. I had a Curve, the Tour met my needs better at the time I was eligible for an upgrade (1yr early upgrade) and this time I reevaluated my needs and found the web to be more important than BBM and BB email, so I switched to a platform providing that which met my needs.

12-01-10 10:16 AM
    Me too! I got a WinSlo Treo 700WX. I found it wasn't meeting my needs because it had to pull my emails; was unstable. I was pretty anti-BlackBerry at that time. But, after realizing my job relied on email, and I wanted to get my job done more effectively, I bought an 8330 on ebay. When I first ran it, I really fell in love with the fact it got the job done with lesser hardware. I was all about getting the most out of my lemon, I started using hybrids. At the same time, I found myself pushing my devices more than I wanted to admit.

When my upgrade was due, I felt I really needed an uncastrated GPS, real 3G speeds (uploading was slow); not wanting to deal with trackball issues; etc. When the Tour2 was being discussed, I had thought about it, but felt I wanted the new phone sooner, than later. I, then, picked up a Storm 2, because of this, thus using my upgrade eligibility there.

Long story, cut short, I found my Storm 2 was getting long in the tooth, and so I sold it to a fellow member, and bought the phone I have now.
    12-01-10 10:35 AM
    I am a good example of a mythical smart consumer. I had a Curve, the Tour met my needs better at the time I was eligible for an upgrade (1yr early upgrade) and this time I reevaluated my needs and found the web to be more important than BBM and BB email, so I switched to a platform providing that which met my needs.

I consider myself a good example of smart consumer. I started with the Tour, got bored with it and went to a Storm 2.

My priority is email. When I look around to see what devices give me the ease and simplicity of email management, I see nowhere to go except to stay with Blackberry, except possibily WinMO7.

I'm not an apple fan, don't really like DROID. WEBOS? I'm keeping an open mind, but I like what I like and so far don't see anywhere to go except to an S3.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by i7guy; 12-01-10 at 12:31 PM.
    12-01-10 11:23 AM

It also applies in politics, but look how many voters go straight party!
    12-01-10 06:34 PM
    I don't think I ever had any loyalty to any device, or brand name. Whatever is good and works and suits my needs. If something doesn't suit my needs anymore it's going bye bye. I don't care what they have done before, what counts is right now in this present time, not yesterday and neither tomorrow. No man can convince me of something about being good if it isn't good, and vice versa.
    Last edited by Shodan775; 12-01-10 at 10:44 PM.
    12-01-10 10:41 PM
    I don't think I ever had any loyalty to any device, or brand name. Whatever is good and works and suits my needs. If something doesn't suit my needs anymore it's going bye bye. I don't care what they have done before, what counts is right now in this present time, not yesterday and neither tomorrow. No man can convince me of something about being good if it isn't good, and vice versa.
    We all say this, but the fact is we all have some kind of brand loyalty to some extent. When you have a great experience with X product, you tend to gravitate towards X product's company. Its human nature to get into that "comfort zone". We like reliability. With that being said, a user should be smart enough to recognize a bad purchase decision, regardless if its from said favorite company, and not hold onto it when there are better products on the market.
    12-02-10 12:23 AM
    I for one am NOT loyal to any brand and would prefer to ignore it and just search for a low price and quality device or product.

Brands mean nothing to me.

12-02-10 02:24 AM
    I for one am NOT loyal to any brand and would prefer to ignore it and just search for a low price and quality device or product.

Brands mean nothing to me.

I can not say the same

Brandname means a lot to me in many products.
    I like my Ford Trucks, because I know what is going to go wrong with them at what mileage intervals, I like how they position the instrument panel, When Buying a new Truck I don't even go and look at the other brands. it isn't blind loyalty, but it is familiarity, and no one else is offering any significant differences.

I only buy Heniz Ketchup, don't care the price differences I like Hinez, so I buy it.

I like Calvin Kline and Van Huessen Pants, they iron well, and they fall well, I don't tend to go into stores that don't sell other brands, I might look at others, price almost never being the factor, but ultimately I go to who I am familiar with.

When it comes to Smartphones I wouldn't say I am blindly loyal, as I did Leave my WinMo phones for Blackberry, and do keep looking for otherphones that might replace my blackberry, but as drifter pointer out, familiarity and positive experience plays a major roll, Taking the time to learn a new platform better offer me major advancements in the things I do before I change, if not I wont be changing.
    12-02-10 09:31 AM
    I appreciate your honesty there, derusset. I prefer Levi's. I had a bad experience with CK jeans. I like the comfort of adidas footwear, but I like New Balance's options. Heinz isn't so bad, I only boycotted them after realize it was Teresa Heinz Kerry's outfit .

On the ford front, derusset, how's the pricing of such cars in your neck of the woods? Toyota's pretty competitive out here stateside.
    12-02-10 09:41 AM
    We all say this, but the fact is we all have some kind of brand loyalty to some extent. When you have a great experience with X product, you tend to gravitate towards X product's company. Its human nature to get into that "comfort zone". We like reliability. With that being said, a user should be smart enough to recognize a bad purchase decision, regardless if its from said favorite company, and not hold onto it when there are better products on the market.
    With the markets and economy the way things are I don't know anybody who has "blind loyalty".

However, it's really none of anybodys business if someone is a stupid consumer and does have blind loyalty. After all, the product is not being bought with your money. You have to believe the consumer knows what they like/dislike, which may be the same or different from what you like or don't like.

To a certain extent, I do like brand loyalty. Just because I like Camrys and I bought multiple Camrys, doesn't mean I'm going to jump into an LS460 because it's Toyota. I may go with a 535. I also don't like Hondas, Sonotas, Mazdas, etc, even though some people may believe they are a better car for them. It's not a better car for me and I have no interest in test driving them.

The same with smarphones, I'm not blind loyal to RIM, but I don't want an iphone or Droid, that leaves Windows Mobile. Less choices for smartphones but the decision process is the same as for cars.
    12-02-10 11:28 AM
    I appreciate your honesty there, derusset. I prefer Levi's. I had a bad experience with CK jeans. I like the comfort of adidas footwear, but I like New Balance's options. Heinz isn't so bad, I only boycotted them after realize it was Teresa Heinz Kerry's outfit .

On the ford front, derusset, how's the pricing of such cars in your neck of the woods? Toyota's pretty competitive out here stateside.
    I don't wear Jeans often, and when I do Levi's or Tommy Hillfigure depending where I am shopping.

Running shoes are something I re try every single time I buy a pare, I don't think I have owned the same brand twice in a 2 year period, though in the last 10 pair I'd say that I have owned Asics the most.

As for Ford Pricing, The Trucks are well priced, I don't buy the Cars and Toyota still isn't worth it for a High mileage truck, the mirrors are not big enough and the visibility isn't enough when doing a lot of backing up of large trailers, and the fuel economy isn't anything to write home about, so they never even blip on my radar, even though one of my customers owns a dealership, I have clearly said to him, he can't beat my Ford F250
    12-02-10 12:16 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD