Does anyone use a surge protector to charge their bbry? I always thought they were for home theaters or computers, however a rep at t mobile was trying to get me to buy one and I don't know if it was necessary or not.
    07-10-13 11:30 AM
    Or do you just plug it straight into the wall outlet?
    07-10-13 11:35 AM
    They're not "necessary" on anything, but they can reduce the risk of damage, to home theatres or little smartphones, or any other electronics.

It's just a cost/benefit thing, based on how big the likelihood of a damaging surge is in your home, and what the cost of the damage would be, and the cost of the surge suppressor.

I have surge suppressing power bars on just about everything around here (though some were so cheap they would probably do nothing useful in case of a real surge.)

When I'm in a hotel, however, I don't spend a moment worrying that I don't have a surge suppressor protecting anything. (At least, not if I'm in a first-world hotel... and I haven't travelled anywhere with particular "dirty" power recently.)

Sorry for what may be largely a non-answer for you...
    07-10-13 01:05 PM
    I wasn't so much worried about large surges such as lightning- at that point I doubt any surge protector could suppress that. I was more or less wondering about little spikes that occur throughout the day for any reason and the damage overtime that may cause. I'm probably over thinking it to begin with..
    07-10-13 01:15 PM
    I actually have my Z plugged into a UPS, which of course gives surge protection.
    There was one bad weekend where I plugged in my mostly-drained device at bedtime. Power died during the night, and I awoke with about 15% battery and no way to charge it. I later picked up a UPS for my PC and thought "What the heck" and plugged my BB charger into it. So now, I'm assured of having a charged device no matter what.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-10-13 02:40 PM
    I never thought about plugging it into a ups, maybe I'll try that.
    07-10-13 04:34 PM
    I never thought about plugging it into a ups, maybe I'll try that.
    You'd be better off as most things sold as surge protectors are simply glorified extension cords.
    peter9477 likes this.
    07-10-13 04:44 PM