Stand in Grand Central Station or Penn Station between 7 AM to 9 AM or 4 to 6 PM , any Long Island Railroad platform east of NYC, the Metro North platforms north of NYC, Battery Park, Central Park, Wall Street or Water Street at Lunch time and you will see plenty of 9.7 inch tablets being used, carried etc..

It's a myth that 9.7 or greater tablets are not portable. It may not be your size preference, but that does not negate the fact that those size tablets are out and about.
    It's the standard CB.com retort, don't put too much effort into it.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    06-22-12 08:32 PM
    It's the standard CB.com retort, don't put too much effort into it.
    Yep. Had RIM made the PB a 10 incher it would be the best screen size ever!
    06-22-12 08:42 PM
    You know what's NOT portable for me? My Desk Top.

You know what is IS portable for me? My Laptop. Which is bigger than a 7" OR a 10" tablet.

In My Opinion anyways.
    kevinnugent and Rickroller like this.
    06-22-12 09:35 PM
    a shared kernel? it means the software architecture between microsofts desktops, tablets and phone are all identical, meaning if an app works on one device, it will likely work on all, as long as the functionality is there. which really, at this point, nobody has done, or even come close to doing, i guess maybe apple has come the closest but still not all the way, though it appears that's what they're trying to get to. MS is there already now. should be an amazing time ahead for microsoft, i can't really see their new systems failing, seeing as the possibilities are quite limitless for the potential of it.

imagine working on something at your desktop, but wanting to go to the couch, and simply dragging the window over to your TV. if the OS's all share the same architecture, functionality like this will be entirely possible.
    I am not sure how important this is anymore.

Back in the day, if you were not Windows compatible, you would not survive. It almost killed Apple, for example.

Today, we have several successful non-windows platforms.

It is an advantage for WP8, to some extent, but remember that existing Windows programs will not work on Windows RT. So, both Windows RT and WP8 are starting from close to a blank slate in that respect.
    06-23-12 06:17 AM
    Stand in Grand Central Station or Penn Station between 7 AM to 9 AM or 4 to 6 PM , any Long Island Railroad platform east of NYC, the Metro North platforms north of NYC, Battery Park, Central Park, Wall Street or Water Street at Lunch time and you will see plenty of 9.7 inch tablets being used, carried etc..

It's a myth that 9.7 or greater tablets are not portable. It may not be your size preference, but that does not negate the fact that those size tablets are out and about.
    Try walk around with the iPad in one hand in portrait and see how soon you need to put it down.

I also see people walking around holding up a 15" Dell laptop. Does that mean it's portable?
    06-23-12 08:00 AM
    Try walk around with the iPad in one hand in portrait and see how soon you need to put it down.
    I see men, teenagers, and women doing it all the time...it's hilarious to read grown men complaining about the weight of the iPad...

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    Rickroller likes this.
    06-23-12 09:15 AM

I also see people walking around holding up a 15" Dell laptop. Does that mean it's portable?
    Yes, the 7' tablet form factor is so portable as to be invisible.

What do you call it when a consumer takes a device from point A to point B and in between gets some use out of it.

What you consider as portable is only relevant to you, the public at large has an overwhelming different opinion of what is portable and has voted with their wallet.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 06-23-12 at 10:14 AM.
    06-23-12 09:53 AM
    I see men, teenagers, and women doing it all the time...it's hilarious to read grown men complaining about the weight of the iPad...

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    Maybe large tablet manufacturers should throw in the following for the those challenged by large tablets:

If RIM had a 9" or greater tablet out we would not be seeing these biased portability comments. It would be "genius".
    Rickroller likes this.
    06-23-12 10:03 AM
    I especially enjoy the "Playbook fits in my back pocket" comments..
    06-23-12 10:32 AM
    Unfortunately, I was a Betamax fan and I loved the form factor of a smaller video cassette but VHS eventually won although it was larger and heavier..
    People at times choose items which could be inconvenient but of course for tablets the comparison is a bit more extensive than comparing VHS and betamax.
    06-23-12 11:24 AM

if they are able to walk around with it, take it on the bus, in a cab, on a train, or throw it in a back pack and ride a bike, is that not portable?
    06-23-12 11:29 AM
    if they are able to walk around with it, take it on the bus, in a cab, on a train, or throw it in a back pack and ride a bike, is that not portable?
    No. It's not portable. Only 7" is portable because it's made by RIM. When RIM makes a 10" tablet then 10" will be portable. Until then all non 7" tablets are stationary devices, like a home desktop.
    06-23-12 11:37 AM
    So, my 9" blu-ray player, that clearly has the word "portable" on the box, isn't really portable

Ohh wait, its not a tablet or a PC. Never mind
    06-23-12 11:41 AM
    So, my 9" blu-ray player, that clearly has the word "portable" on the box, isn't really portable
    You're not understanding. It needs to have this logo to be portable:
    06-23-12 11:43 AM
    Made me laugh... buy an OS made by RIM for my PC/Laptop???

A PC that doesn't ship with native email ability till 12 months after purchase, and spell check an after thought. A PC that requires you to be bridged to a BB to just start to become useful...

MS making hardware is great, the Surface looks great.
    06-23-12 11:27 PM
    Wow this thread turned into a RIM bashing session. Probably because it turned into a MS bashing thread somewhere in the middle.

But anyway, Surface is awesome. Since MS did this. It's totally doable for RIM to let BB10 become a "portable workstation".

Which would pretty much be like a laptop OS. If you can install things off the internet on BB10. It's definitely able to become a what the Surface is put out to do.
    06-23-12 11:55 PM
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/25/te...steps.html?hpw

Here is an article that talks about how bad things are between Microsoft and its OEMs. It is clear that this dissatisfaction can be exploited.
    06-25-12 07:11 AM

Here is an article that talks about how bad things are between Microsoft and its OEMs. It is clear that this dissatisfaction can be exploited.
    Perhaps PC makers should start seriously consider making Linux PCs and/or tablets.
    06-25-12 07:16 AM

Great read. Thanks for posting.
    06-25-12 07:31 AM

I think what's clear is that MS can do what it damn well pleases in making hardware, and it is in fact doing so. It doesn't certainly doesn't need RIM, and to suggest that RIM can somehow avail itself of an opportunity here doesn't pass the straight face test.
    06-25-12 08:31 AM
    I think what's clear is that MS can do what it damn well pleases in making hardware, and it is in fact doing so. It doesn't certainly doesn't need RIM, and to suggest that RIM can somehow avail itself of an opportunity here doesn't pass the straight face test.
    I never suggested that MS needed RIM. Clearly, MS does not need RIM. What I am suggesting is that MS's OEM partners like Dell or HP might become RIM's new partners.
    06-25-12 09:56 AM
96 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD