I am a Crackberryian because I like the BB10 OS. I do not like move to android and all its issues. I do understand the reasoning for the move and the potential impact to my stock prices.

However, I am getting this bad feeling that my Passport could be my last BB phone as I will not move to an Android based OS. Sailfish and Ubuntu are my next choices. I am willing to put up with an unmature OS if the companies are showing an honest effort to move forward.

BB gives a great tool like Blend, then only develops it half ***. For a business tool it only goes half way. I see soooo much potential.

My rant
    10-01-15 10:38 AM
    I am a Crackberryian because I like the BB10 OS. I do not like move to android and all its issues. I do understand the reasoning for the move and the potential impact to my stock prices.

However, I am getting this bad feeling that my Passport could be my last BB phone as I will not move to an Android based OS. Sailfish and Ubuntu are my next choices. I am willing to put up with an unmature OS if the companies are showing an honest effort to move forward.

BB gives a great tool like Blend, then only develops it half ***. For a business tool it only goes half way. I see soooo much potential.

My rant
    What about Sailfish and Ubuntu make them more attractive than a BlackBerrized Android?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do... but Windows is about a "fringe" as I want to go. Both Sailfish and Ubuntu would be going backwards from where BB10 is.... and I personally don't see a point in that.
    JeepBB and Jakob Greve like this.
    10-01-15 11:00 AM
    What brought me to BB to start with a Storm 1 was attitude. Now it is more corporate. When is the last time we have seen a schedule for the future. I feel like a mushroom.

At least Sailfish and Ubuntu are actively trying to be better and to listen to user input. Heck, BB cannot even make a good business app for a business use. IE Blend - Potential unused
    10-01-15 02:28 PM
    At least Sailfish and Ubuntu are actively trying to be better and to listen to user input. Heck, BB cannot even make a good business app for a business use. IE Blend - Potential unused
    As long as you are limiting yourself to platforms with 1% marketshare, you aren't going to find a lot of applications nor choice of apps available business or otherwise.
    10-01-15 02:35 PM
    I to am not sure where to go I might grab a couple z30. Or maybe try the passport. But I will not go Android. That is a total deal breaker for me. As is ios. I guess windows or Firefox os. Maybe

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by silversmith75; 10-01-15 at 03:24 PM.
    10-01-15 02:43 PM
    I swear, it seems like some people only like BlackBerry because 99.9% of the world's population couldn't care less about them.

Is this some type of weird hipster behavior? Serious question. Are there people out there who go out of their way to use the most unpopular options available?
    10-01-15 02:44 PM
    I am far from the hipster movement, I fall into the early days of the hippy movement. Anti bureaucrats, anti sit on your laurels attitude, anti listening to those who pay for your product. Android wants to know and control everything, Apple and MS not far behind.

I am an independent thinker, control my own destiny. Do not like the victim attitude that exists for many today.

I swear, it seems like some people only like BlackBerry because 99.9% of the world's population couldn't care less about them.

Is this some type of weird hipster behavior? Serious question. Are there people out there who go out of their way to use the most unpopular options available?
    10-01-15 02:55 PM

My rant
    BlackBerry is still selling BlackBerry 10 phones, which means it will be supported for at least two years, the length of an average phone contract in North America.

Two years is a long time in the mobile world, so hold on tight and check back in two years.

Your Passport will serve you fine until then.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 03:05 PM

Nope, not at all.

I choose BlackBerry for its function.

For my computers, tablets, and cloud and mail services, I choose Microsoft even though they own the majority of the market.

I do not care for being different. I just want something that works.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-01-15 03:07 PM

Sailfish just got updated. I see reasons for not liking Android Windows IOS. I get what you're thinking I just don't think that's the way it is. I like BB10 cos it's unbloated and efficient. Also why I prefered BB10.2.1 over later releases.
    Powdah likes this.
    10-01-15 03:23 PM
    While I love BB10, to avoid using Android or IOS for some kind of anti corporate idealism sounds downright moronic. BlackBerry used a business model thinking people would actually care more about privacy than convenience. Consumers give lip service to anything that isn't free, cheap or very convenient. Like all the consumers against cheap imported goods, yet look what the largest retailers in all countries sell and how those retailers are ranked in marketshare.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 03:33 PM
    BlackBerry is still selling BlackBerry 10 phones, which means it will be supported for at least two years, the length of an average phone contract in North America.

Two years is a long time in the mobile world, so hold on tight and check back in two years.

Your Passport will serve you fine until then.

Posted via CB10
    Depends on what your definition of support is.

I doubt you'll see any major improvements or new features in the OS
    I imagine as time goes by the few developers that are still working on their BB10 apps will move on.
    I don't think you'll see SNAP or Cobalt put out a fix if Google changes the access to Google Play.
    And the chances of you being able to run newer Android Apps with the 4.3 Runtime are going to diminish.

A couple more minor updates and BlackBerry is going to be done with BB10.

Yes a Passport bought today will work as advertised by BlackBerry for two years... but if Google Play and Android Apps are important too you, good luck.

Nope, not at all.

I choose BlackBerry for its function.

For my computers, tablets, and cloud and mail services, I choose Microsoft even though they own the majority of the market.

I do not care for being different. I just want something that works.

Posted via CB10

That is the real key to picking a smartphone. We all have different needs, I hate that we are losing a choice with BlackBerry having to move away from BB10 for finical reasons. But I just don't see all these fringe OS being viable daily drivers for the average person. Those that like to fiddle, and don't mind missing apps... sure. But those of us that just want a phone to do the things we have come to expect.... the choices are pretty slim.
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    10-01-15 03:36 PM
    Depends on what your definition of support is.

I doubt you'll see any major improvements or new features in the OS
    I imagine as time goes by the few developers that are still working on their BB10 apps will move on.
    I don't think you'll see SNAP or Cobalt put out a fix if Google changes the access to Google Play.
    And the chances of you being able to run newer Android Apps with the 4.3 Runtime are going to diminish.

A couple more minor updates and BlackBerry is going to be done with BB10.

Yes a Passport bought today will work as advertised by BlackBerry for two years... but if Google Play and Android Apps are important too you, good luck.

That is the real key to picking a smartphone. We all have different needs, I hate that we are losing a choice with BlackBerry having to move away from BB10 for finical reasons. But I just don't see all these fringe OS being viable daily drivers for the average person. Those that like to fiddle, and don't mind missing apps... sure. But those of us that just want a phone to do the things we have come to expect.... the choices are pretty slim.
    We are just not sure what is going to happen, so let's just deal with the issues when they arise.

For now, the Snap store is working perfectly; and the majority of Android apps work great.

I know I rely on Android apps too daily on my even more dated Q10.

There is just no point in worrying about what is going to happen to BlackBerry 10 in the future, when we do not have any control over it.

All I am saying is that, right now, your passport and my Q10 is working perfectly, so enjoy it while it lasts whether that maybe 1 year or 3 years. You can worry about it, and post here once you get into real issues, not the ones in your head.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 03:48 PM
    Too much doom and gloom on here about bb10.

Right now as I rapidly flick this post on my reliable z10, I'm not sure that I really care if additional features are added to bb10. In fact I was happy enough with 10.2.1, let alone worry about 10.3.3.

Personally, I hope that the android slider is a great success. That won't change how well my bb10 phones are working.

Posted via CB10
    DolemiteDONS and Jay Wright2 like this.
    10-01-15 04:12 PM
    Too much doom and gloom on here about bb10.

Right now as I rapidly flick this post on my reliable z10, I'm not sure that I really care if additional features are added to bb10. In fact I was happy enough with 10.2.1, let alone worry about 10.3.3.

Personally, I hope that the android slider is a great success. That won't change how well my bb10 phones are working.

Posted via CB10
    That's a great attitude to have, but Blackberry probably wishes you were a bit more neurotic.
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    10-01-15 04:24 PM
    Myself, I am embracing the Android based Priv, it's still going to be a unique device with some of the features of OS10 and has the Blackberry name on the device and that's exciting to me.
    10-01-15 06:27 PM
    That's a great attitude to have, but Blackberry probably wishes you were a bit more neurotic.
    I don't think that I can get any more neurotic.....

To be honest, the great attitude you speak of stems from the fact that I don't like spending much money on phones which is what drew me to BlackBerry in the first place (inexpensive z10).

My guess is that the slider is gonna be expensive like all other top of the line phones, and I don't need specialty apps so it ain't for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 06:42 PM
    Myself, I am embracing the Android based Priv, it's still going to be a unique device with some of the features of OS10 and has the Blackberry name on the device and that's exciting to me.
    Yep. You would be correct.

The slider ( I just can't stand that P*** name) and the Passport will definitely be the 2 most unique phones on the market.

Posted via CB10
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    10-01-15 06:44 PM
    I don't think that I can get any more neurotic.....

To be honest, the great attitude you speak of stems from the fact that I don't like spending much money on phones which is what drew me to BlackBerry in the first place (inexpensive z10).

My guess is that the slider is gonna be expensive like all other top of the line phones, and I don't need specialty apps so it ain't for me.

Posted via CB10
    I have a feeling you are right about the price, which will probably hurt sales. Current Blackberry fans will pay whatever but I believe they want to draw more users from other platforms. I guess we will see what happens.

As far as using what you need, that is what we should do and why having choices is good. We all have different needs, likes, preferences, etc. Smartphones have been a bit of a hobby for me and I have spent way more than I should have over the years. I've sold most of my "collection" and am using a 2 year old device that covers my needs and was inexpensive. We'll see how long that lasts!
    10-01-15 07:13 PM