If the same app can be obtained either from the pre-installed Amazon store or from Google Play via Snap, is it in any sense more "supportive" of BlackBerry to use Amazon?

I realize that the Amazon version of many apps may not be the latest version, but I'm not asking whether there's any reason to prefer the latest version. I'm asking whether, if one actually wishes to support BlackBerry, it matters much or at all whether one gets an Android app from Amazon or...anywhere else.
    12-02-14 08:54 AM
    The only thing I can think of that would benefit BlackBerry through increased Amazon downloads, is that Amazon may be pleased with the activity and the increased user base, and may take BlackBerry users more seriously - better optimizations, better support, better terms with BlackBerry. Just a guess.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    12-02-14 09:00 AM
    I would think that as Amazon is BlackBerry's official partner, it can only lead to benefiting BlackBerry for Amazon to see BlackBerry people using the Amazon store. As far as I can tell, using snap really only benefits Google, as I don't know whether BlackBerry can see who uses snap and what for. By the way, I don't use snap, which may affect my position.
    12-02-14 09:07 AM
    Amazon uses a forked android OS meaning no google play services so apps downloaded from amazon run a lot more smoothly than ones from Snap. The drawback is that Amazon's app store doesn't have a lot of the so called top tier android apps people want.

Loving my Passport!
    12-02-14 09:09 AM
    I think no app in the Amazon store relies on Google Play services, so that's a clear advantage for BlackBerry, if that's true of course.

Snap is a 3rd party client and is no way actually useful to the image of BlackBerry, it's a user thing. Although I suppose you can argue that it does help BlackBerry's image.

Amazon can't alter the apps, it's up to the Developer's of these apps to optimise the various apps. I would recommend if you were to leave a review, mention what device you are using so people can see what apps are working well on BlackBerry devices

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 09:11 AM
    I would think that as Amazon is BlackBerry's official partner, it can only lead to benefiting BlackBerry for Amazon to see BlackBerry people using the Amazon store.
    Yes, this is the kind of thing I was wondering about. Suppose Amazon sees a sudden surge of app sales to BB10 users. What might come of that?

As for Amazon supporting a "forked" version of Android...that's an interesting concept. I tend to think of Amazon-compatible Android apps as more "generic" than those that depend on Google Play Services. If I'm not mistaken, any Amazon Android app should run on any Android device; not so for apps that use Play Services. The latter is the more restricted category, not that anyone cares about such logical details.
    12-02-14 09:28 AM
    Amazon uses a forked android OS meaning no google play services so apps downloaded from amazon run a lot more smoothly than ones from Snap. The drawback is that Amazon's app store doesn't have a lot of the so called top tier android apps people want.

Loving my Passport!
    Which "top tier" android apps are missing?

Amazon App Store has pretty much every app that everyone complained about BB10 NOT having when it first came out.

Going on memory, the only app I can't find among the ones that were always brought up is Instagram (although, there are a couple client apps). And, while not originally mentioned much, Hulu is also not there, but the at-the-time often-mentioned Netflix and Skype are.

However, I do admit that I can't keep up with the constantly changing list of what's considered "top tier". Remember when Candy Crush was the big game app everyone wanted? And Fruit Ninja?

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 10:09 AM
    The only thing I can think of that would benefit BlackBerry through increased Amazon downloads, is that Amazon may be pleased with the activity and the increased user base, and may take BlackBerry users more seriously - better optimizations, better support, better terms with BlackBerry. Just a guess.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    I second that guess. More user demand should naturally lead to better support and offerings...

? ? ? Zzzzwipetyped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    12-02-14 11:55 AM
    Why not both?

Posted via my superb Z10
    12-02-14 12:26 PM
    Good question OP. I think, an increase in the downloads from Amazon App store will definitely benefit both Amazon and BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 12:56 PM
    Which "top tier" android apps are missing?

Amazon App Store has pretty much every app that everyone complained about BB10 NOT having when it first came out.

Going on memory, the only app I can't find among the ones that were always brought up is Instagram (although, there are a couple client apps). And, while not originally mentioned much, Hulu is also not there, but the at-the-time often-mentioned Netflix and Skype are.

However, I do admit that I can't keep up with the constantly changing list of what's considered "top tier". Remember when Candy Crush was the big game app everyone wanted? And Fruit Ninja?

Posted via CB10
    I do know most of the apps that was high demand aren't the latest versions

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 01:13 PM
    Considering the reportedly poor sales of the Fire Phone I'd say it is reasonable to assume that BlackBerry users make up a low but respectable percentage of app downloads on the Amazon Store. I'd also think that it is reasonable to assume that the partnership stems partly from this. So, I'd say that it is also reasonable to assume that Amazon has a vested interest in seeing good sales numbers on BlackBerry devices.

They would have invested a lot into setting up the app store and offering incentives to developers. It is quite possible they are looking to BlackBerry to help recoup some of that investment, and thus seeing good app sales on the BlackBerry side of things would encourage them to move towards better BlackBerry support. Regardless if there are actual direct financial incentives for BlackBerry, there are positive aspects of supporting the Amazon store. As Amazon might find one day that BlackBerry makes up the larger percentage of app store sales.

But, with all that being said, I am the consumer and I will do what I fell is best for me and that is not using the Amazon store. Naturally, BB World would be my first choice, but failing that I go straight for Snap. Amazon, in my past experience, has been poor at having the apps I'm looking for and I always end up using Snap in the end. I just don't bother with Amazon anymore.
    12-02-14 01:34 PM
    If I had to pick, I'd go with Amazon. I'm not sure I'd put all my eggs (or any at all) in Snap basket over the long term.
    12-02-14 01:34 PM
    Fair point.
    12-02-14 01:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is true.

Also, the more Google forces the Google Play Services requirement on app developers (even when they aren't really needed for anything), the older the apps on Amazon will get.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 06:32 PM
    If BB10 really starts seeing success and lots of people download from Amazon, I can foresee good things - like more developers trying to make the apps compatible with BB10 devices and more integration of Amazon services and media options on BB10 devices.

If on the other hand, BB10 really starts seeing success and lots of people download through Snap instead, then Google is likely to take notice and pull the plug on Snap.

Amazon wants you to download apps from their AppStore onto BB10 devices. Google doesn't, and Snap violates Google's terms of service. Snap is only an option right now because of BB10's small marketshare.

If you want to support BlackBerry, I'd say download from Amazon. That's where the long term strategy has to be.
    12-02-14 08:16 PM
    I think people are overestimating the "partnership" between Amazon and BB. I suspect it's more like this: BB asked "can we pre-load your Marketplace on our phones?" and Amazon said "sure, go for it." I strongly doubt that Amazon has agreed to DO anything - they've just given BB official permission to use what already existed.

Unless someone has some evidence to the contrary, I don't see their relationship as a "partnership", but simply BB being an incidental user of Amazon's platform.
    12-02-14 09:49 PM
    I think people are overestimating the "partnership" between Amazon and BB. I suspect it's more like this: BB asked "can we pre-load your Marketplace on our phones?" and Amazon said "sure, go for it." I strongly doubt that Amazon has agreed to DO anything - they've just given BB official permission to use what already existed.

Unless someone has some evidence to the contrary, I don't see their relationship as a "partnership", but simply BB being an incidental user of Amazon's platform.
    This makes sense, but somewhere along the way I feel there is more to be gained by BlackBerry, if more BlackBerry users take advantage of the out of the box Amazon store offers. That should not stop anyone from using Snap though. After all it's your phone and your experience. Always nice to have options.
    12-02-14 10:11 PM
    If Amazon sees a lot of activity from BB10 users that may encourage them to support BB10 more.

If Google sees a lot of activity from Snap, they'll probably shut out Snap since it violates their T&C's.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    12-02-14 10:43 PM