That's true for an ad campaign where there will be multiple commercials, but a 30 second SuperBowl ad? That's so little time that you can't show enough of the new features of the platform, phone and brand renaissance. Something has to have priority.
    Thanks to all for your inputs ... but the 30" point is very accurate here.
    Keeps me on the brand track ...
    01-27-13 11:07 AM
    Agree that both aspects will, by nature, be there. However, also agree that the priority at this point must be on product.

Due to the majority of americans(main superbowl viewers) not even knowing that there is a new bb platform. This will also avoid the casual shopper that couldn't figure out how to wake up the playbook at Future Shop. Use this platform to teach them how it works first.
    01-27-13 11:07 AM
    Outside of those who keep up with all things techs from all fronts (and of course all of the members of CrackBerry Nation), most folks are likely unaware that there are new devices and an OS coming to market. The commercial has to not only promote the BB10 line but also the BlackBerry brand being reborn like a phoenix rising from the ashes but do it in 30 seconds. It's no time to take potshots at competitors, it's time to show the world that the reports BlackBerry's death were greatly exaggerated. A great example of this is Chrysler's "Imported From Detroit" commercial featuring the current generation 300. Chrysler was looked at as a near-dead brand at the time Fiat invested in the company and the new 300 was the beginning of their rebirth just as BB10 represents the rebirth of BlackBerry.
    01-27-13 11:18 AM
    I think it should be done like this....3x8 second segments featuring the new product across different age groups/careers featuring a family. Then the final 6 seconds featuring RIMM the brand.

8 seconds of a business man running through an airport. Suitcase in one hand and z10 in the other as he types an email using the predictive keyboard. Flicking words up to create a perfect email. He then tosses the phone to his daughter who is at home.

8 seconds of the daughter playing a game while peeking into her social media hub. Going back to the game. Resopnding to lets say facebook and back to the video game. She then tosses the phone to her mom who is on the beach with the entire family.

8 seconds of mom taking a picture of the family and her using the time shift feature to get the picture just right.

Then the final 6 seconds featuring Blackberry the brand ...re-designed...re-engineered...re-invented...
    01-27-13 11:21 AM
    I think brand is important but I don't think brand means without device. The New BlackBerry should be seen as sexy. As something unique. They should show the BlackBerry being something that the perception of BlackBerry isn't.

However, in the hands of this marketing company, RIM will be fine. This commercial will hopefully bring them back to the spotlight.
    01-27-13 11:22 AM
    That's true for an ad campaign where there will be multiple commercials, but a 30 second SuperBowl ad? That's so little time that you can't show enough of the new features of the platform, phone and brand renaissance. Something has to have priority.

GM and Chrysler chose to go with the brand for their comebacks, but then they have so many products (Car Models) that it made sense to concentrate on the brand. I think with just two products, Z10 and X10, RIM should make the phones and the BB10 platform itself the priority and let the excitement of the product lead the brand renaissance.
    Here's what you're forgetting. They ARE hand in hand. The renaissance of RIM IS BB10 so naturally the demonstration of the phone will inherently be advertising the new face of RIM as well. Your point about GM/Chrysler is good....for established companies with a solid reputation. Seeing as so many people think RIM has already died, this is not the case with them. The ad WILL focus on both. It is a very simple concept. There is no one or the other, BOTH will be heavily advertised in 30 secs. It really is as simple as I initially stated. Basic concept of marketing. They go hand in hand.

Let me show you exactly what I mean. BOTH Blackberry and BB10 are advertised in this.

01-27-13 11:32 AM
    I think with just two products, Z10 and X10, RIM should make the phones and the BB10 platform itself the priority and let the excitement of the product lead the brand renaissance.
    In no way should RIM even mention/show/allude to the X10 in this Superbowl commercial.

The X10 has a physical keyboard and it doesn't matter what the OS is, people will see it and think it's the same old outdated Blackberry. All efforts should be focused on the Z10 - as that's the comeback device RIM has to showcase. Full screen touch devices from competitors are what's killing RIM - and therefore they need to be playing in that arena.

The more I think about it, the more I think RIM really needs 2 30 second spots... one in each half of the game. It's too late now, but I think it would've been more beneficial to them - even though it's a lot of money.
    01-27-13 11:39 AM
    The answer is both, they are not mutually exclusive. In order to market a new product, you must sufficiently market your brand (citing the recent renaissance). Equally, to market a renaissance of a brand, you need proof. Enter BB10 phones.
    Indeed - nothing says they have to do one or the other. Even in 30 seconds it should be possible to do both pretty effectively.

How many people here actually have a masters or even undergrad major in business? Very simple concepts.
    [/quote]
    Whoah Nelly! We're just having some fun, not submitting a marketing proposal or even writing a thesis.
    01-27-13 11:52 AM
    In no way should RIM even mention/show/allude to the X10 in this Superbowl commercial.

The X10 has a physical keyboard and it doesn't matter what the OS is, people will see it and think it's the same old outdated Blackberry. All efforts should be focused on the Z10 - as that's the comeback device RIM has to showcase. Full screen touch devices from competitors are what's killing RIM - and therefore they need to be playing in that arena.

The more I think about it, the more I think RIM really needs 2 30 second spots... one in each half of the game. It's too late now, but I think it would've been more beneficial to them - even though it's a lot of money.
    RIM will show the X10, if they didn't people would complain that RIM is abandoning the keyboard...
    It would be more likely that they extended their time frame if anything, but no news of that yet and it is getting late.
    The target audience is ex-blackberry people. People who switched because the platform was garbage.
    Those people will become fans again once they are shown the new phones and why they are amazing and a complete departure.
    I know people who were negative that I have shown the videos too had a 180 after seeing how amazing the new OS is.
    Show the product, that is what will save BB. No one wants chest pumping of a yesteryear giant trying to be relevant.
    01-27-13 11:53 AM
    Outside of those who keep up with all things techs from all fronts (and of course all of the members of CrackBerry Nation), most folks are likely unaware that there are new devices and an OS coming to market. The commercial has to not only promote the BB10 line but also the BlackBerry brand being reborn like a phoenix rising from the ashes but do it in 30 seconds. It's no time to take potshots at competitors, it's time to show the world that the reports BlackBerry's death were greatly exaggerated. A great example of this is Chrysler's "Imported From Detroit" commercial featuring the current generation 300. Chrysler was looked at as a near-dead brand at the time Fiat invested in the company and the new 300 was the beginning of their rebirth just as BB10 represents the rebirth of BlackBerry.
    Yes, but the reason that ad worked was because it had a sense of patriotism and tied itself not only to the brand, but to show optimism that Detroit, and by extension, America itself was coming back (The one with Clint Eastwood was very effective at that, I thought). So, the ad made you root for Chrysler because you're also rooting for America. RIM won't be able to do that with the BlackBerry brand. I just firmly believe that RIM needs to generate excitement. It's hard to generate excitement for a brand that people have already made up their minds about and think is dead. I'm not saying that the ad can't have elements of a brand renaissance, just that the focus should be on the product and let the excitement over the product carry over to the brand.
    JR A likes this.
    01-27-13 11:59 AM
    Here's what you're forgetting. They ARE hand in hand. The renaissance of RIM IS BB10 so naturally the demonstration of the phone will inherently be advertising the new face of RIM as well. Your point about GM/Chrysler is good....for established companies with a solid reputation. Seeing as so many people think RIM has already died, this is not the case with them. The ad WILL focus on both. It is a very simple concept. There is no one or the other, BOTH will be heavily advertised in 30 secs. It really is as simple as I initially stated. Basic concept of marketing. They go hand in hand.

Let me show you exactly what I mean. BOTH Blackberry and BB10 are advertised in this.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/...pse4632b62.jpg
    I mostly agree with everything you're saying. I just think the "focus" of the ad should be the product with elements of a brand renaissance to drive that excitement for the brand.
    01-27-13 12:05 PM
    Whoah Nelly! We're just having some fun, not submitting a marketing proposal or even writing a thesis.
    I wasn't trying to be a **** about it, sorry if it came across that way. I just think that people going around making assertive statements and blind statements about these types of things extremely misleading to people who DON'T know anything about the subjects. It helps nobody if the blind lead the blind.
    Apparently j e r k is censored, so for the record that is what the **** is. lol
    01-27-13 12:05 PM
    I think it will be a lifestyles/product ad. Not too heavy on the features because it is more of an introduction of the new platform. They have to inform people of the new product first and make it look desirable. Later they can drill down into the specifics.
    01-27-13 12:06 PM
    Here's my guess opens something "Blackberry 10...blah blah blah" Shows hub, flow, typing, camera w/ time shift, balance, and the hardware. Then "Blackberry 10 reinvented blah blah blah." We have combined both aspects in this simple and short ad effectively catching people's interest who will then proceed to research BB10 soon thereafter.
    01-27-13 12:09 PM
    I'd love to have a Stanley Kubric style one ... but 30" is sooo short (but the monolyth, eh ?)

of course with *updated/punched* Eumir Deodato's soundtrack ...
    01-27-13 12:19 PM
    SuperBowl add will be there.
    But what will be promoted ? The BlackBerry brand "revival" or the appealing BlackBerry10 features and devices ?
    I mean, this is a huge audience, and my personal knowledge will tend to lead me towards a "brand" communication.

01-27-13 12:22 PM
    In 30" ... that'll be an exploit. Can be done yet.
    01-27-13 12:24 PM
    My take on this is a simple Before and After ad.

Starts with one person playing with an Old BlackBerry and it starts to freeze up.

enter a new person.

Person 1: "Hey I was about to text you, but my screen froze."

Person 2: "Forget freezes in fact forget this phone." Takes it and puts it on the counter. He takes out his Z10.
    "Check it out."
    Person 1: "What is that?"
    Person 2: "This is BlackBerry 10."

He shows off the features: keyboard, time shift camera, the hub, peak and flow, multitasking.

Camera shows person 1, Stunned.

Fade to black.

BlackBerry 10

Re-designed.Re-engineered. Re-invented.
    01-27-13 12:39 PM
    My take on this is a simple Before and After ad.

Starts with one person playing with an Old BlackBerry and it starts to freeze up.

enter a new person.

Person 1: "Hey I was about to text you, but my screen froze."

Person 2: "Forget freezes in fact forget this phone." Takes it and puts it on the counter. He takes out his Z10.
    "Check it out."
    Person 1: "What is that?"
    Person 2: "This is BlackBerry 10."

He shows off the features: keyboard, time shift camera, the hub, peak and flow, multitasking.

Camera shows person 1, Stunned.

Fade to black.

BlackBerry 10

Re-designed.Re-engineered. Re-invented.
    Uhh probably not a good idea to show the shortcomings of the old platform. Especially since it will continue to be sold.
    donmateo likes this.
    01-27-13 01:09 PM
    Probably not a good idea in general to be bashing yourself in any way shape or form other than to admit there were mistakes made.

Here is a great example of accepting mistakes, but not overdoing it. Establish old problems, but explain and show the new face of the company.

Superfly_FR and anon(4018671) like this.
    01-27-13 01:23 PM
    RIM will show the X10, if they didn't people would complain that RIM is abandoning the keyboard...
    The people who would complain would know that ain't true.

I mostly agree with everything you're saying. I just think the "focus" of the ad should be the product with elements of a brand renaissance to drive that excitement for the brand.
    But that is the same thing ...
    donmateo likes this.
    01-27-13 01:45 PM
    It would be a big mistake if they did. It would confuse people.

The Superbowl is mainly watched in North America. The US is where RIM is getting hurt big time.
    RIM has only a small marketshare in the US now... and these are the physical keyboard people for the most part. This small market will get even smaller as these people jump to iOS/Android devices - which are full touch screens. Why risk confusing people into thinking it's the same old Blackberry with the X10 just to cater to a very small and shrinking market? They'll be doing more harm than good.

Z10 only... advertise/release the X10 a couple months after. Keep it sealed for the time being.
    JR A likes this.
    01-27-13 02:01 PM
    I am hoping the commercial doesn't even reveal the name BlackBerry until the very end so as not to bias the viewers. Show off the device and the slick gestures and interface -- say what needs to be said about it -- then at the end reveal "BlackBerry... Re-imagined...". Etc.
    01-27-13 02:24 PM
57 123