SuperBowl add will be there.
    But what will be promoted ? The BlackBerry brand "revival" or the appealing BlackBerry10 features and devices ?
    I mean, this is a huge audience, and my personal knowledge will tend to lead me towards a "brand" communication.

As some elements of reflexion, I'd like to give some extra inputs :
    The agency that's in charge of the campaign : AMV BBDO (UK) amvbbdo | Work

Some samples (sexy, eh ?) of their campaings (only one by post, so two are following in next posts):

(in a hurry/lazy ? you may want to skip the 1st minute)

Around this topic (inspired this thread) : The Mad Men behind the first BlackBerry Super Bowl ad
    Our feeling on the matter is this: a simple rundown of the new features of the BlackBerry 10 (better camera, fast browser, “hub and flow” user interface) would be good. But a dramatic “we’re back” artistic statement is what most BlackBerry supporters are really looking for.
    So what you think/prefer we'll see; brand or product ?
    01-27-13 06:06 AM
    Video 2 (one of the most brilliant brand image ad ever IMHO)
    01-27-13 06:07 AM
    video 3
    01-27-13 06:08 AM
    The agency that's in charge of the campaign : AMV BBDO (UK) amvbbdo | Work
    A very good Global marketing and advertising agency. Actually good may be an understatement.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-27-13 06:27 AM
    I'm going to have to say product, at the Superbowl nobody will care if they are trying to replenish their brand if they haven't seen the new product.
    Show the product first, and then replenish your name.

ALSO: Just so you know, if you post the video's as URL's you can have more than one per post.
    Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 01-27-13 at 07:35 AM.
    01-27-13 07:14 AM
    Good question!

I had think for a second, but then my response was 'product.' The Blackberry brand itself will benefit more from a good product than anything else so that should be the focus.

I had second thoughts when I thought about the Blackberry TV ad you posted (isheep vs. sheep dog), but I'm going to stick with my original answer for now.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-27-13 07:20 AM
    The product makes the brand, not the other way around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-27-13 07:33 AM
    I'm not sure here. They have 30 seconds. In the USA as we know BlackBerry doesn't have the greatest reputation anymore so I think something showing they aren't the BlackBerry of old needs to come across either way they go. Brand and product kinda go together here?

Edit:

Do you think they will do something serious or will they make it a SuperBowl memorable ad?
    alan510 likes this.
    01-27-13 07:41 AM
    perhaps check the '84 Superbowl ad Apple had, and the answer should obvious, it will be the concept of
    Blackberry is back with a new OS, the OS of the future, or no need to be an Apple slave,
    something along those lines.

alan510 and astraith like this.
    01-27-13 08:00 AM
    perhaps check the '84 Superbowl ad Apple had, and the answer should obvious, it will be the concept of
    Blackberry is back with a new OS, the OS of the future, or no need to be an Apple slave,

And that would be the death of BB. If they were a new company or had a good reputation, that would be fine. They have neither.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-27-13 08:10 AM
    Why not both.
    Show clips of famous football players saying things like "BlackBerry is back" and "this phone is amazing" etc.
    01-27-13 08:13 AM
    Hmm Good question. Probably start with product, but give some hint that it's just the tip of the iceberg. You know, the whole M2M not-just-phones mobile computing stuff.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    01-27-13 08:14 AM
    Hoping they have a lengthened version of the commercial, so that people will be tempted to click on youtube to see the continuation/conclusion.
    01-27-13 08:17 AM
    I was thinking the phone should be the catalyst for people to see a new BlackBerry brand in the commercial. Some things about the phone but a theme going that keeps the brand in mind.
    01-27-13 08:23 AM
    Hmm Good question. Probably start with product, but give some hint that it's just the tip of the iceberg. You know, the whole M2M not-just-phones mobile computing stuff.
    I agree. I think they have to show a bit of product - but emphasize that this is a new paradigm. - mobile computing - and this is just the start. I think they have a good company for the ad - but I would hate to have to come up with a 30 sec spot. Guess we'll see in 1 week!
    01-27-13 08:38 AM
    Items unveiled on Wednesday my change prospective concepts.
    01-27-13 09:29 AM
    Also, I really don't think there should be any mention of the competition. You want people to come away from it thinking about BlackBerry, not BlackBerry AND Apple and Google and Samsung and Microsoft...
    01-27-13 09:32 AM
    They need to concentrate on the product, not the brand.

Everyone knows what Blackberry is and most have the mindset that's it's an outdated smartphone. Advertising the brand only lets people know that Blackberry is still around, but it doesn't get anyone to buy the product and avoid iPhones/Android devices.

RIM finally has a product that can compete technically - and it's make or break product for them. They desperately need to make people aware of BB10.

RIM needs to change people's negative perception of the Blackberry brand, and the way to do it is to show off a positive product.
    You can advertise the brand all you want, but the perception wont change if people are only aware of the products they don't like.

Brand advertising can come a few months down the road.

All eyes are on the Superbowl and RIM only has 30 seconds to let people know about BB10. They can't afford to let this opportunity pass them by.
    Admorris and anon(3896606) like this.
    01-27-13 09:32 AM
    I guess products seems more important IMO.
    01-27-13 09:45 AM
    I would have to say PRODUCT. As RIM re-establish itself in the Smartphone market then you can sell from a brand point of view. Right now its important to show consumers what the NEW BlackBerry (RIM) can do. Its almost like a win win or lose lose situation. GREAT product sells the brand ......at first and once established that seems to turn around and becomes Great brand must have great product.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-27-13 09:51 AM

Amazing how this could now be promotional material for Apple. They have become everything they seemed to have hate.

RIM could take a jab at that but I think it would be a mistake. It needs to be all about them. Show off the product, give the people something they thought they would never see from them.
    01-27-13 10:03 AM
    This would be a good poll question. I'm going to agree with those who say they should advertise the product and not the brand with the SB ad because the BB10 platform is brand new. Alot of people still think of BB as the corporate phone with the trackball. You have to show off the features of the new platform, why it's better than iOS and Android, and then how those features will intergrate and make the consumer's lives easier and get stuff done better than what they already have. The goal should be to overcome, the "too little, too late" label and make BB10 something that was worth waiting for.
    01-27-13 10:06 AM
    The answer is both, they are not mutually exclusive. In order to market a new product, you must sufficiently market your brand (citing the recent renaissance). Equally, to market a renaissance of a brand, you need proof. Enter BB10 phones.

How many people here actually have a masters or even undergrad major in business? Very simple concepts.
    01-27-13 10:33 AM
    Yeah like the in the future, concept videos we've seen but kicked up and more powerful. People also want to know whats possible with the new phones, something to believe in.
    01-27-13 10:40 AM
    The answer is both, they are not mutually exclusive. In order to market a new product, you must sufficiently market your brand (citing the recent renaissance). Equally, to market a renaissance of a brand, you need proof. Enter BB10 phones.

How many people here actually have a masters or even undergrad major in business? Very simple concepts.
    That's true for an ad campaign where there will be multiple commercials, but a 30 second SuperBowl ad? That's so little time that you can't show enough of the new features of the platform, phone and brand renaissance. Something has to have priority.

GM and Chrysler chose to go with the brand for their comebacks, but then they have so many products (Car Models) that it made sense to concentrate on the brand. I think with just two products, Z10 and X10, RIM should make the phones and the BB10 platform itself the priority and let the excitement of the product lead the brand renaissance.
    01-27-13 11:02 AM
57 123