I honestly don't see the downside. They'll be visible to the largest viewer audience of the year at a time when people are actually excited/willing to watch commercials. "Coming soon" works, just look at movie trailers.
    Exactly.

Coming soon. Preorder now.

Big promo during the game, then major ad campaign in weeks leading up.

Sounds like good marketing to me.
    02-01-13 01:32 PM
    Is the superbowl ad going to be shown on canadian networks as well? I know we don't get the same US commercials as you guys during it.
    If I were to guess I would say the Canadian Stream would be bombarded with the ad. Two reasons: CTV sells the ad space a lot cheaper and the z10 hits store shelves less than 36 hours after the game. Remember all the Vancouver Olympics ads from two years ago during the SuperBowl.
    02-01-13 02:08 PM
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8191/8...12ca8c3bcd.jpg

Ok everybody put your heads together, where is this address 437?

Anybody figure this out yet?

Tried tineye.com , nothing.

Somebody must know the building/street?
    02-01-13 02:51 PM
    It's a bummer that the US carriers dragged their feet.

The Superbowl ad will at least inform, and the cost BB puts into the production of a high-profile ad like the superbowl ad will be paid back by showing the ad more than once during the superbowl. If the ad isn't shown at movie theatres as well, and in long form just prior to the release in the US on the national TV networks, THEN the "marketing" department has dropped the ball, but at this stage, if I were American, I'd be dialing 611 on my cell phone, asking to speak to a rep and asking for a clear explanation why the US carriers are over a month behind the UK carriers, and go ahead and let them TRY to blame BB when clearly other carriers ARE able to get it ready for less than a week after launch.

I put this 90 percent on the carriers shoulders, and 10% on BB corporate, only because of how BB's influence in the US market has diminished is probably what led to the carriers dragging their feet.
    02-01-13 03:06 PM
    This ad will be playing in Canada as well...
    02-01-13 03:45 PM
    Seriously, ask yourself why I can buy this phone today in the EU (UK) with it's boat load of red tape and regulations? Hmmm... I find this story very interesting. Weird?, nahh. I think markets that want stuff get it pronto but that's only my guess... No offence intended to anybody.
    02-01-13 04:23 PM
    I suspect it's simply because RIM didn't make enough handsets. They supposedly only manufactured 2 million for launch.

That said, a Super Bowl advertisement is a complete waste of money if the product isn't available to buy. Palm ran big ads for the Pre months before it sold, as well, and by the time it was available, nobody cared.
    02-01-13 04:27 PM
    I have no faith that if it was available on the day of the super bowl they would sell anymore phones. The public is generally stupid, majority dont even know blackberry is still around. It will take alot longer then 30 seconds to TEACH the public what the new device is. Think of it as a 30 day course on how to buy a blackberry Z10. Aided with the great news coming out of canada and the UK, were golden
    02-01-13 05:55 PM
    Blackberry still made an almost unforgivable marketing mistake by not having handsets available soon after launch. But they need the ads, I get that perfectly.

They have to think of something creative to follow this ad or else it's all going to be for nothing. That's just my take.
    02-01-13 07:03 PM
    I suspect it's simply because RIM didn't make enough handsets. They supposedly only manufactured 2 million for launch.

That said, a Super Bowl advertisement is a complete waste of money if the product isn't available to buy. Palm ran big ads for the Pre months before it sold, as well, and by the time it was available, nobody cared.
    How can a company that is hanging on for dear life, continue to make such bad blunders ? Previous leadership mistakes, present leadership mistakes. God, develop the phones, announce them and release them that day ! Geez
    02-01-13 07:31 PM
    Hopefully the commercial isn't as pathetic as that launch event was. They would have been better off throwing Thor on stage wearing all black with a monkey screaming "Touch my Monkey"!http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YcsRkF6yBL...prockets+2.jpg
    After the launch, I have lost all belief that the current marketing team has any....talent/ability/taste/class. Might as well bring back the failure flash mob or the comic superheroes. Parading a celebrity in a pants-suit as a faux executive....ugh, but it was the little things also; I talked to an active pro developer today for iphone/android - I "MADE" him watch the launch....so today I got it from him - one little thing he found hysterically funny, and which I admitted made me cringe were the phones rising on that stupid little stand! I had to admit...I kept envisioning a guy beneath the platform lifting up the little stand. Golly!!! AWful. A little dry ice can't hide that moment.

Dear RIM: if you don't have some impressive riser/platform....don't go with a tiny elementary school music stand, just pull them out of your pocket. ALSO, whoever championed changing your name to Blackberry should be fired immediately. IMMEDIATELY. I would have gone the OTHER way. At BEST it does nothing for you, at worst, it hurts you badly.
    Last edited by richardat; 02-01-13 at 07:54 PM.
    02-01-13 07:43 PM

You honestly think they need more than 2 million at launch?
    Come on, they would be lucky to be clearing that in a month.
    In fact, it would be a top selling phone if it was rolling out 2m a month.
    Estimates are between 10 and 20 million in the next 12 months.
    02-01-13 07:47 PM
    If true, this would be another reason why this company is failing. They have no ability to forecast ANYTHING, much less offer technology that has kept up with the market. My opinion with BB10, too little, too late. I am a Blackberry user but am disappointed.
    I believe you to be quite correct my friend. Early last year I wrote that their was a tiny window of chance but that they needed QNX out immediately, and fully baked. By the time the new delay came, I felt it was absolutely over. A yearish too late....might as well be dog years, but they did this to themselves.....it's taken years of mismanagement and poor products. There was a time, as we all know when they had plenty of leverage, momentum, and good will. My last hope.....and I thought their only hope, (barring HUGE "surprises", as it turns out their were no surprises) was that a strong enough anti-Apple sentiment would be enough to carve a substantial niche. I don't think that is the case now. In the end, these are all just big international corporation though. None of them will help you out if you get behind on your bills!
    02-01-13 08:02 PM

Your right... totally makes sense to commit to an add that costs almost $4m and not be able to have a product in the stores immediately, or shortly there after. Sigh... give your head a shake please... please.... Now, the American carriers had the same info and devices available at the exact same time that Canada, UK, UAE, China, and others had. Do you really think BB wanted to hold off on this? Does it make any financial or logical sense whatsoever??? The logical play would have been to release to US and Canada, and if there was a shortage of devices, then postpone the release to others in a staggered approach.

I really don't understand how sooooo many people can keep on saying that it was a bad move on BB's part. They set the groundwork, they did the planning, they put the devices in carrier's hands, they've been seeding social media for months, and they were going to cap it off with a Super Bowl commercial to be remembered and reinvented. If you want to be a conspiracy theorist, then you can come up with a ton of theoretical possibilities, but the fact remains, the carriers in the US have not approved the devices yet.
    02-01-13 09:26 PM
    Here is the part that doesn't fit into it all though, at least to me: that leaked Verizon registration only page and how BlackBerry knew Verizon would have white exclusivity. The commercial itself will have value to restore the brand image and start a dialogue with all customers around the globe which is what I think their original intent must have been. I could speculate but at this point I shrug my shoulders and do nothing but wait.
    02-02-13 12:46 AM
    if blackberry are deliberately holding the usa carriers back, or didnt give them enough time, then why havent the carriers said so? they have always laid blame at blackberry before.
    two things could have happened here, the carriers are being slow with their testing because they are negotiating for more profit from blackberry. or second they had plenty of time but just didnt bother for whatever reason.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-02-13 05:36 AM
    Oh that's GENIUS....no wonder these marketing guys get millions. *insert sarcasm here* they TOTALLY deserve every penny
    People who left BB, will watch the commercial, then say, "Well....maybe I should go back and check them out. After all, BB was my first love, and it seems like this product is REALLY awesome. I think I'll give them another chance." So, they'll run to the store to buy a new BB, to be reunited with their sweetheart.... only to be told, "I'm sorry sir, that's not available until March." You think BB is gonna get a third chance?
    I'm just in this state of incredulous shock. I've written before about how the US probably doesn't deserve same day release....but a month and a half? That's just a stupid BUSINESS decision, regardless of how I feel BB bashers from the states deserve it
    Everything I have read says that the carriers are the ones holding things up. I think they bought the ad spot thinking the US would have the phone sooner. We Canadians will see the ad as well so its not a total waste. And if the ad is good it will get many views online which will extend the reach. Because of youtube and forums like this the ad will be seen all over the world. They will get some value out of the ad.

James
    02-02-13 09:31 AM
    I predict that the BB Superbowl ad is good. But there are many who feel they should have something different, or it doesn't suit their personal tastes, or they have a better idea. They all feel the need to start their own threads on why the ad sucked. Let's hope I'm wrong.
    The commercial won't do what everyone wants it to do, some will be pleased, some wont.
    02-03-13 11:25 AM
    I for one have no problem with a Super Bowl add then the phone coming out 4 weeks later and here is why. Movie Studios pay millions to run trailers for movies that come out MONTHS
    after the Super Bowl. When was the last time RIM(Blackberry) EVER even ran a commercial on American TV? Answer, never. the fact is this is probably the start of a nice long marketing campaign.
    silversun10 likes this.
    02-03-13 11:40 AM
    If you asked me, I would have rather seen Blackberry just release the phones instead of an ad.

02-03-13 10:59 PM
    If you asked me, I would have rather seen Blackberry just release the phones instead of an ad.

I would too. But for the rest of the world who are unaware of the new phone, the ad was just.
    Speedygi likes this.
    02-03-13 11:14 PM
    I honestly don't see the downside. They'll be visible to the largest viewer audience of the year at a time when people are actually excited/willing to watch commercials. "Coming soon" works, just look at movie trailers.
    Now I see the downside Not the most informative Ad. I'm hoping they'll air some new ones rather than regurgitate those over and over. People (consumers) would like to know "what does it do then?"
    02-04-13 09:11 AM
    Now I see the downside Not the most informative Ad. I'm hoping they'll air some new ones rather than regurgitate those over and over. People (consumers) would like to know "what does it do then?"
    Here is the problem, people dont understand that this was a superbowl ad. It was only meant to shock, and by not showing the phone at all, it does. People are so shocked that they are complaining there were no features shown off (which was the entire point). For some reason, it is lost on those people that there is a huge ad campaign for BB10. Just walk into a Walmart or Rogers or Telus in Canada (Ive seen tons of advertising already and its still pre-launch). Look at the ads already posted on the main page here. Check the BB website. Read the blog posts about the CMOs campaign. Maybe if people were aware that this commercial was just for shock value and there is a lot being done to show what it does do, they can get over it.
    02-04-13 09:41 AM
    Hi! OP here, and what did I find today DAYS after the claim I made? And so now is the spot in my post where I say, "Told ya so! Nah nah nah boo boo"

"But when the primary viewing audience cannot rush to their local retailer and actually purchase the product being extolled in the spot, you must consider if it really is money well spent."
    Is BlackBerry the Biggest Loser in Super Bowl XLVII? (RIMM)
    02-04-13 07:02 PM
    Mercedes Benz had an ad last night for a new car that will not go on sale until September 2013.
    02-04-13 07:36 PM
101 ... 2345