I don't expect Rim to ever release a device that is ahead in the specs game, their time to market is slower than the likes of htc, but it also isn't of such vital importance to them either providing that the entire experience delivers.

Personally, I expect that Aristo will have the following main changes from the specs of l-series when it comes out, it will be quad-core, 5" 1080p display, larger battery, next-gen wifi and potentially more built-in storage and while this will put it firmly at the upper end, it is inevitable that by then there will be android devices with higher specs than that since it is all they have to use for differentiation other than pricing.
    1080p displays are a joke, and why in the **** would they randomly jump up to a 5" display.. They are so focused on a 1 hand typing/usability experience.. Do you know how much that would be altered if they upped it to a 5" display..? They aren't gonna change the screen size or make it much larger. Especially w/ the Aristo, they will NOT make it 1080p as all of the apps being created would have to be re-made with higher resolutions. The devices out now with such high resolution screens are having issues porting the apps over to get it to fit the entire phone's screen.. It's a total joke, and you can't notice to the human eye between 720p and 1080p on such a small device. RIM will not be doing this, it makes absolutely no sense and would hurt them and their emerging BlackBerry World.
    12-24-12 03:21 PM
    1080p displays are a joke, and why in the **** would they randomly jump up to a 5" display.. They are so focused on a 1 hand typing/usability experience.. Do you know how much that would be altered if they upped it to a 5" display..? They aren't gonna change the screen size or make it much larger. Especially w/ the Aristo, they will NOT make it 1080p as all of the apps being created would have to be re-made with higher resolutions. The devices out now with such high resolution screens are having issues porting the apps over to get it to fit the entire phone's screen.. It's a total joke, and you can't notice to the human eye between 720p and 1080p on such a small device. RIM will not be doing this, it makes absolutely no sense and would hurt them and their emerging BlackBerry World.
    To you it might be a joke. But I'll take a 1080p screen on my phone rather than be arrogant about it and get left in the dust spec wise. Aristo was supposed to be 4.65" screen device anyway (if my memory serves me correct). It wouldn't have been 1 hand usability unless if you had large hands anyway.

For one handed use, they have the Z10. Aristo is for another crowd that likes big screens. Plus a 1080p screen would look much nicer and crisper than a 720p image. Basically, your eyes will notice a difference in sharpness if anything.

Plus I don't like 720p screens on a 5'' screen. I'm too ruined by small screens with high (your eye won't be able to notice more than this amount of PPI) PPI.

I don't understand what the hate is for 1080p screens on phones.
    12-24-12 04:37 PM
    I had a little tantrum recently here about the Aristo, in which I voiced my displeasure that I could end up buying a London now and then missing out on the Aristo because of being locked into my contract with the London. I've since revised my opinion after learning the Aristo would likely be a bigger phone catering to that crowd. I don't like the 4.7 inch or larger phones, so the 4.2" London would be the better choice for me regardless of whether the Aristo was quad core or not. Plus, I'm also not one of those blind spec chasers. I know full well that the hardware specs and RAM of the z10 are perfectly suitable for browsing, gaming frames/second, and video recording/playback FPS on a BB10 OS and will remain so for the next couple of years.
    12-24-12 05:20 PM
    No... Read through his tweets from December. New stuff I've gathered so far:

Google+ confirmed
    Google building BB10 apps for enterprise
    Retail store locations
    117k BB10 apps so far already on Dec 16 (We are in for a BIG surprise by launch date)
    Testing cross-platform BBM on iPhone and Android
    BBM Money on BB10
    BB10 available in Canada on Feb 1
    A big bank already put in a large purchase order for BB10
    Playbook 10 may be announced on the same day Jan 30
    BB10 Playbook UI has differentiation from the BB10 phone UI
    BB Maps and BB Traffic combined into one app in BB10

Still reading...
    I did the same. At one point he(she?) intimates he has path to the UE/UI team.
    12-24-12 05:31 PM
    To you it might be a joke. But I'll take a 1080p screen on my phone rather than be arrogant about it and get left in the dust spec wise. Aristo was supposed to be 4.65" screen device anyway (if my memory serves me correct). It wouldn't have been 1 hand usability unless if you had large hands anyway.

For one handed use, they have the Z10. Aristo is for another crowd that likes big screens. Plus a 1080p screen would look much nicer and crisper than a 720p image. Basically, your eyes will notice a difference in sharpness if anything.

Plus I don't like 720p screens on a 5'' screen. I'm too ruined by small screens with high (your eye won't be able to notice more than this amount of PPI) PPI.

I don't understand what the hate is for 1080p screens on phones.
    Your eyes cannot physically notice over 300ppi.. And it's a HUGE stretch when you get into the mid to high 200's.. You're going off the assumption that 1080p is better than 720p so it must be AMAZING! It's different when you're dealing with such a small screen, you CANNOT PHYSICALLY NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE. So why is it somewhat of a joke? Because they have tested it and the human eye CANNOT NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE (yes, I have said it 3 times so far).

"I don't understand what the hate is for 1080p screens on phones." Why not..? What is the most important factor when it comes to a phone's battery life? Easy, it's the screen being on. You can leave a phone in sleep mode for days and it's fine. Point being, an unnecessary larger screen that you cannot even notice the difference, that's a sick amount of additional battery drain on devices which already have sub-par battery life. The issue here is technology advances an immense amount spec-wise throughout the timespan of just a year, but batteries, they have not. There is only so much you can do with a battery, and the size of that battery. So lets make the one thing that has the most drain on a phone, and make it LARGER. The ONLY use for having a 1080p screen on that display is for being able to say to your friends, hey guys, I have a 1080p display, muahahahaha... One other reason, which is the ONLY one that is sensible, would be that you can hook it up to a 1080p TV and it will look a bit better than hooking up a 720p screen to a TV. So unless you're planning on hooking up your phone to a TV much more than you are going to use it as an actual phone, having a 1080p is a ridiculous thing to add. The only reason some competitors are going and throwing them out there is because of the people who are so held up on specs, over what is practical. People like you. If they made BB10 in a 720p display and a 1080p display, having the prices just a tiny bit different, maybe 50-100 price difference, it's not worth the added battery drain on my phone to get the more ppi which our eyes cannot even notice the difference.

You my friend are actually falling into the whole marketing specs in the mobile industry. You are taking away what is practical and trying to get "better" because it makes you feel better. You have no idea how much of an added battery drain that many more pixels adds to the phone. Also, go and check out the 1080p display mobile phone in comparison to a 720p device PLEASE before you go and say that 1080p LOOKS BETTER... Because it simply doesn't.. What is more important is the type of screen & glass they choose to use in manufacturing. That plays a larger role x1000 over having 380ppi over having 320ppi. It's not very complicated, our eyes have a limit as to how sharp we can see something. Holding a 720p device up as close to your eyes as possible, you wont even notice the difference, and who in the he11 is even going to need to hold their phone that close to their face.

It's not very difficult to understand why 1080p is so pointless in such a small device.. It's just a buzzword just like Apple's "Retina Display" in the iPhone which actually has LESS PPI than the new BB10 phones.
    narci likes this.
    12-25-12 07:55 PM
    Look at the playbook, it's not a 1080 screen but will upconvert to 1080 via hdmi to the tv...if the file is 1080.
    abass and spike12 like this.
    12-25-12 09:19 PM
    They will end up doing this because the market will expect things like a 1080p display from a top of the range model, especially by the end of 2013 and as far as the 5" display, that is actually the most logical next step for them to take because it offers something different an gives them a chance to expand their audience albeit at the expense of the 1 handed usage thing, but that would also be true for a 4.7" or so model too.

It is actually going to be a real challenge for them to sell the next l-series device in some ways since 720p will be about the limit to that size, they seem to have enough memory to cope for a number of years and increasing the screen size slightly would be at the expense of pixel density so that only leaves a cpu upgrade, so putting off that upgrade until there are more options for them makes sense and expanding their range allows them to do that more readily.
    12-25-12 09:47 PM
    They will end up doing this because the market will expect things like a 1080p display from a top of the range model, especially by the end of 2013 and as far as the 5" display, that is actually the most logical next step for them to take because it offers something different an gives them a chance to expand their audience albeit at the expense of the 1 handed usage thing, but that would also be true for a 4.7" or so model too.

It is actually going to be a real challenge for them to sell the next l-series device in some ways since 720p will be about the limit to that size, they seem to have enough memory to cope for a number of years and increasing the screen size slightly would be at the expense of pixel density so that only leaves a cpu upgrade, so putting off that upgrade until there are more options for them makes sense and expanding their range allows them to do that more readily.
    The next biggest step in the market isn't 1080p.. The biggest thing is going to be software innovations to make the phone more desirable, not JUST throwing in extra specs and stuff.. I guarantee you that people would choose a phone which is able to last the entire day being used, over a phone with a quad core, 4GB of RAM, 1080p, 5", and lasts about 5 hours on battery. This whole screen resolution is becoming a gimmick real quickly. Throwing in a crapload of specs into a device is absolutely pointless when the OS can't or doesn't even need to utilize it. You can feel however you want about 1080p on mobile devices, but it's totally a joke, and battery life is much more important than a few extra pixels which you can't even notice. They keep making phones thinner and thinner, which is screwing over batteries.. They are already getting to be as thin as current technology allows it to be, so the one thing you will see are these crazy specs and devices becoming REALLY thick and ugly again to put a bigger battery in there, or focusing more on how important battery life is. Android needs a quad core and 2GB of RAM etc. to run competitively, just because one OS is so fragmented that it needs crazy specs to function, does not mean that all devices need similar specs.. It just becomes pointless when the OS can't even utilize it.
    12-25-12 11:29 PM
    Anyone know what BlackBerryScoop is referring to?

"#boxingdayleak - The Infinity Project is an R&D project that will revolutionize and extend battery life on mobile devices. "

Sounds interesting. Maybe RIM found a way to extend battery life?!
    12-26-12 01:59 AM
    I believe it may have something to do with the fuel cell patent the were awarded a while back, maybe that combined with some new research and testing they have been doing has yielded something great. Maybe, just maybe blackberry will put out a device that has a very long battery life, imagine a battery that can last 3 - 4 days, even a week?
    12-26-12 03:25 AM
    I believe it may have something to do with the fuel cell patent the were awarded a while back, maybe that combined with some new research and testing they have been doing has yielded something great. Maybe, just maybe blackberry will put out a device that has a very long battery life, imagine a battery that can last 3 - 4 days, even a week?

If they manage to do that and it is not OS specific, I can see patent fees off of that alone being profitable.
    12-26-12 03:53 AM
    I am blackberryscoop, and want to know if a BlackBerry device had a long battery life, would you still want a removable battery opposed to a built in one?
    12-26-12 03:57 AM
    I am blackberryscoop, and want to know if a BlackBerry device had a long battery life, would you still want a removable battery opposed to a built in one?
    I buy my phones outright and tend to keep them longer than most people so it is possible that I might need to replace my battery at some point. For me, it would depend on both the total life of the battery and the life between charges.
    12-26-12 04:01 AM
    Removable one is still a great option as for long travel without possibility to charge but just need to swap batteries.
    12-26-12 04:36 AM
    My devices outlast batterylife most of the time, so being able to buy a new one is important.
    12-26-12 05:36 AM
    Yes. No question about this.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    12-26-12 06:45 AM
    I think that like those leaked Aristo specs we will eventually see a return (see 5810/20) to a non-removable battery on some models due to the amount of space it saves on a device, but it seems highly unlikely that they would entirely drop a simple means of differentiating their devices by reducing flexibility across the entire range.
    12-26-12 06:54 AM
    My current phone has a removable battery. Good thing too because the first one started losing its ability to charge properly at 18 months and I didn't have an extended warranty on the phone. If it hadn't been replaceable, I would've had to replace the entire phone.
    12-26-12 03:44 PM
    Yeah. I've never bough a second battery for a Blackberry. My only request if RIM does this is that they make the battery be easily serviceable so if the battery does need to be replaced due to age or malfunction that you not have to be without a phone for a long period of time.
    spike12 and schmeat like this.
    12-26-12 09:15 PM
    Removable batteries are essential. I can't see the sense in making otherwise. Is there a benefit to the manufacturer to make a non removable one like the iphone?
    12-26-12 09:33 PM
    Unfortunately, we seem to be dealing with an imposter here.

Summary of interesting rumours on BB10 from @BlackBerryScoop-capture3.png
    12-27-12 10:06 AM
    Unfortunately, we seem to be dealing with an imposter here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture3.PNG 
Views:	148 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	129652
    I also placed the same screen shot in the imposter's own thread and alerted the moderators. What a knob.
    12-27-12 09:47 PM
    where was mobile computing on the launch????????????????
    01-31-13 01:32 AM
73 123