I know a lot of you out there loves the track pad or simply hate the inability to select texts on our beloved full touch devices.

And I just thought of our swipe gestures.
    Swipe up - flicks the suggested word
    Swipe left - deletes a word
    Swipe down - shows the symbols
    Swipe right -???

I thought that maybe swipe right can be a switch to activate the TRACK PAD MODE of the keyboard.

For example you already have a long message. You just swipe right and the cursor appears. This means you're now controlling the cursor and the keyboard is turned into a giant track pad.

Next, moving the cursor.
    Without lifting your finger (this may sound like it won't be a swipe anymore. But you get the idea, right? ;D), move your finger in the 'giant track pad' (or the keyboard before track pad mode was switched on). Now you have control of the cursor. Example, after using the swipe to the right gesture, move your fingers to the left to move the cursor to the left, and so on.

Highlighting texts.
    Now you can move the cursor. Next is selecting texts. Our phones are capable of multi-touch function. So I thought that while you are controlling the cursor, you can press and hold the shift key to start selecting texts and releasing it will end the selection. After this you already have selected the characters you like to select. There are 2ways if you want to continue the selection. 1st, you would be coming from track pad mode OFF. From here you just turn on the giant track pad (swipe to the right), hold on shift key before moving your cursor, then move. 2nd, you will be coming from track pad mode ON. This means you haven't lifted the finger you used for turning on the giant track pad (most probably you will like this to be your right finger since the shift is on the left. This appears to be a limitation, though). Just hold on the shift key and move again.

That's all I can think of. But for me, at the moment I realized this, it can be useful.

I hope that this may be implemented. I just can't imagine moving the cursor freely just after doing a simple gesture :3 sweeetttt~

Posted via CB10
    nairdaotnatus likes this.
    07-14-14 03:42 PM
    Itu ide yang bagus banget. Jadi yang fanatik sama trackpad bisa pilih Full Touch BlackBerry Phones. Nice Bro !

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 03:57 PM
    I think you're on to something.

BlackBerry does maintain a community where users can make suggestions and have them voted on. Here's the address:

http://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com
    CpE CKS likes this.
    07-14-14 04:01 PM
    I feel like editing the original post but I'm just using my phone so it will be difficult. So here's the edit in a format of new post reply

I've thought that instead of holding your finger after the swipe to turn on the track pad mode, there will be a limited time to when it is active.

After swiping to the right, the cursor appears. The cursor will only disappear after 3sec of idle. Basically it will hang in there for 3sec waiting for any command. If 3sec is too long and you're in a hurry, you can
    ... just double tap to exit trackpad mode (as it is with the Passport).
    to hide the cursor and turn off the track pad mode. This way, if you mistakenly swiped to the right and the track pad mode is on, you can immediately take it back.

For the time while the cursor is active or track pad mode is on, you simply control the cursor by moving your finger on the keyboard, just like how the BlackBerry Passport does it. You can also hold on to shift button to start selecting.

And that's it. All touch device users such as the Z siblings, got that feeling of someone using a Passport with the very cool and innovative keyboard. The difference is, Z users will be using the full glass surface which is very smooth compared to the physical keyboard of the Passport.

I hope that this may be given some time as this will help to deliver better user experience. As a Z10 user, I really think that this will be a very big improvement for the full touch devices. I'm not pushing just because this is my idea, but I know how it feels to be a user and it just happened that this idea popped up out of my mind.

It would be my pleasure if I will hear in the future that people are enjoying their BlackBerry devices and that this feature gives improvement to their experience as a user.

I hope to get the attention of someone that may help me to bring this up to BlackBerry team. I tried putting this in the makeitbetter website months ago. I don't know what's happening now.

...there should be sensitivity options and should be able to turn feature on or off altogether.
    Last edited by ck23.bb; 10-16-14 at 07:03 PM.
    sedat likes this.
    10-16-14 01:01 PM
    What happens when you want to move the cursor right on the keyboard and you are starting from the left side of the screen?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:18 PM
    What happens when you want to move the cursor right on the keyboard and you are starting from the left side of the screen?

Posted via CB10
    I think the gesture engine is smart enough to differentiate between a quick "swipe" and a more controlled "cursor movement" motion.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:33 PM
    I think the gesture engine is smart enough to differentiate between a quick "swipe" and a more controlled "cursor movement" motion.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe true, but what about a human?

Posted via CB10
    Originalloverman likes this.
    10-16-14 01:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    We don't need those flawed things...

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:56 PM
    Haha

My point is it could be fincky between a swipe and a cursor gesture. And should be more cut and dry than determined by speed of the motion which may work for some but not others.

I could see this causing problems for some, if it is implemented there should be sensitivity options and should be able to turn feature on or off altogether.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 02:00 PM
    Haha

My point is it could be fincky between a swipe and a cursor gesture. And should be more cut and dry than determined by speed of the motion which may work for some but not others.

I could see this causing problems for some, if it is implemented there should be sensitivity options and should be able to turn feature on or off altogether.

Posted via CB10
    I know what you mean,..guess they can just double tap to exit trackpad mode (as it is with the Passport).

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 02:07 PM
    New ideas always welcome.

Trackpad mode for all-touch should be patented by BBRY before anyone else does...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    10-16-14 04:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    If you start from the left most part of the screen, that's going to be a swipe back to the previous screen.

The one who said that the system can differentiate the difference between a swipe and a right dragging motion is correct. You can try it in swipe left (erase a word). I experienced that when I try to delete a word by swiping, sometimes it doesn't get the command right. This is a proof that, for the OS, swipe and dragging is two different things. For the thresholds that differentiates the two actions, I don't know. It's too technical already
    10-16-14 06:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    You'll get used to it. Don't worry. Lol
    10-16-14 06:46 PM
    I agree I don't think it's technically impossible but to actually differentiate could cause some people some headaches if their intended action isn't what actually happens.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 06:47 PM
    Haha

Posted via CB10
    That's nice. A switch for the feature. I'll quote that in the update. Thanks
    10-16-14 06:48 PM
    I know what you mean,..guess they can just double tap to exit trackpad mode (as it is with the Passport).

Posted via CB10
    Could be better. I'll include this. Thanks
    10-16-14 06:57 PM
    Could be better. I'll include this. Thanks
    Oh man! What have I done?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 06:58 PM
    Oh man! What have I done?

Posted via CB10
    For animalpak
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-16-14 07:05 PM
    How about we nix the swipe right and just stick to the double tap?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 07:05 PM
    How about we nix the swipe right and just stick to the double tap?

Posted via CB10
    Can't do that on a virtual keyboard, where taps are the main key press action.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 07:11 PM
    Can't do that on a virtual keyboard, where taps are the main key press action.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. In track pad mode, you can use double tap since you won't be needing it for controlling the cursor. And a manual switch to turn it off so you won't be forced to hold on to the screen.
    10-16-14 07:23 PM
    There has to be a better implementation.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 07:36 PM
    Oh. Holding shift pulls out the cursor. Haha. Perhaps that can be the switch ON.
    Then you can control it by the whole text box? So the keyboard can be used for immediate input? I guess that's better. The current control for the cursor is limited, it's just the circle around it. So maybe making the whole text box a control for the cursor will be better. Or anywhere in the screen other than the keyboard and some controls like the attach button, over flow, send, etc . Doing this, you won't be limiting your control over the cursor plus you can control the cursor without blocking the nearby texts.
    10-16-14 07:39 PM