U.S. Army will provide smartphones to soldiers starting this year to receive and manage classified documents while in action. The tested iPhones, Androids and Windows Phones, but NOT BLACKBERRY!!!!

They are looking for touchscreen devices (I infer they refer to full touch phones) for ease of use, but ignored the Torch 9850/9860!

We are actually the "dark" sheep in the smartphone market! :@

U.S. Army may soon equip troops with smartphones - CNN
    02-04-12 10:59 AM
    Old news from last year...notice they're also testing Hewlett Packet tablets? I never give any credence to anything coming from a liberal biased network of talking heads with barely a pulse masquerading as journalists.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 02-04-12 at 11:18 AM.
    02-04-12 11:15 AM
    The Army already fields BlackBerries; no testing required.
    02-04-12 11:21 AM
    The secure Android kernel was evaluated by NSA and issued a Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 140-2 certification...

Research In Motion said Wednesday that smart phones running the BlackBerry 7 and 7.1operating systems have been awarded FIPS 140-2 certification

RIM’s PlayBook tablet, which runs the QXN operating system, was certified last July.
    02-04-12 11:24 AM
    I'm not surprise at all at this direction. Remember the old STU25 ? Same thing only portable.

You have to remember, anyone can download Android source for free and modify it. So it makes perfect sense that some "black contractor" has built a 128bit floating key (NSA Standard) kernel and probably loaded it into a some ruggedised touch screen device. I''l bet this is multi-million dollar and as we know, Government security folks hate off-the-shelf when complicated custom will do.

RIM would never allow a contractor access to its source nor would it design a device that seriously compromises performance for security. I'm sure the performance of this device will be horrendous but totally secure and bullet proof.
    02-04-12 12:28 PM
    Old news from last year...notice they're also testing Hewlett Packet tablets? I never give any credence to anything coming from a liberal biased network of talking heads with barely a pulse masquerading as journalists.
    Good point. The conservative "biased network of talking heads with barely a pulse masquerading as journalists" is much better.
    gjohnsto likes this.
    02-04-12 01:13 PM
    You can build better quality apps on those platforms.
    02-04-12 02:40 PM
    You can build better quality apps on those platforms.
    Not for much longer
    kbz1960, kemj and i7guy like this.
    02-04-12 03:17 PM
    Did you see an article where an fbi email was intercepted and hacker group Anonymous listened in on their conference call? Wonder how the interception occurred...

Would be hilarious if an android malware snagged an agent's email.
    02-04-12 05:02 PM
    I'm sure China likes this news
    mrspeedy101 likes this.
    02-04-12 05:06 PM
    Did you see an article where an fbi email was intercepted and hacker group Anonymous listened in on their conference call? Wonder how the interception occurred...

Not malware. User error.

Anonymous publishes FBI call on hacking - Yahoo!7
    An FBI official said the FBI's systems were not hacked into, and the discussion did not include classified material.

The official said the conference call dial-in details were sent in an email to officials and someone forwarded it to a private, non-government email account which was compromised at some point.
    02-04-12 05:24 PM
    Not for much longer
    Hopefully, if not it's going to suck big time...
    02-04-12 07:38 PM
    U.S. Army will provide smartphones to soldiers starting this year to receive and manage classified documents while in action. The tested iPhones, Androids and Windows Phones, but NOT BLACKBERRY!!!!

They are looking for touchscreen devices (I infer they refer to full touch phones) for ease of use, but ignored the Torch 9850/9860!

We are actually the "dark" sheep in the smartphone market! :@

U.S. Army may soon equip troops with smartphones - CNN
    They do not need to include BBs in testing as they have been certified for years. They only tested new smartphones, BBs are probably approved already
    02-04-12 07:47 PM
    If CNN is liberal then Fox News is fair and balanced!
    02-04-12 07:58 PM
    If CNN is liberal then Fox News is fair and balanced!
    Finally, someone did some research and discovered that cnn is indeed a liberal "news" organization, and FNC IS fair and balanced, as evidenced by their being the most watched and rated #1 10 years in a row. I commend you for doing a bangup job in spreading the truth.
    02-04-12 08:08 PM
    Anyhow, back on subject a bit...

One point made by a federal CIO in a meeting I attended: if RIM's financial situation deteriorates further in 2012 and the situation becomes untenable for the shareholders, then the US government will have no direct veto over who ends up owning RIM. That's not the only reason they are rolling out iPhones and iPads (our custom apps are a bigger reason I think), but it is a risk to consider.
    02-04-12 08:18 PM
    Anyhow, back on subject a bit...

One point made by a federal CIO in a meeting I attended: if RIM's financial situation deteriorates further in 2012 and the situation becomes untenable for the shareholders, then the US government will have no direct veto over who ends up owning RIM. That's not the only reason they are rolling out iPhones and iPads (our custom apps are a bigger reason I think), but it is a risk to consider.
    Interesting. Never thought of that.
    02-04-12 09:55 PM

Slim chance. More likely he/she was phished while using a PC to log in to email. Or whomever the conference call email had been sent to was phished.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-04-12 10:27 PM
    Yeah, it's unfortunate. Lol. Agency I work for is another that is switching to the iPhone whereas 3 years ago, that would never have been mentioned- ever.
    02-05-12 10:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD