The amount of money required for the materials to actually make a Z30 is probably only around $200 and likely even less since it has such medicore specs. Selling one for $400 would still result in a 200% profit margin. Add in the much higher sales volume that would causr, and it would figure out into more revenue than selling tiny amounts of a $700 device. More money means it can fund the rest of its operating costs. It is a misjudgement on BlackBerry's part.

Posted via CB10
    Because R&D was free. Shipping the device was free. And then of course the Carrier's cut. Paying the bills at BlackBerry is now strictly through device sales on consumer devices. They don't have BIS subscription. Most likely they did sell it for 400-450. Carrier's marked it up. BlackBerry has no control over carrier pricing.

Auto corrected by BB10
    10-20-13 03:39 AM
    Because R&D was free. Shipping the device was free. And then of course the Carrier's cut. Paying the bills at BlackBerry is now strictly through device sales on consumer devices. They don't have BIS subscription. Most likely they did sell it for 400-450. Carrier's marked it up. BlackBerry has no control over carrier pricing.

Auto corrected by BB10
    So I guess then carriers have 100% control over all phone prices worldwide, and they raise the price of all devices by $300+. And that's exactly why they sell iPhones and Samsungs at around the same price they do at their respective retail stores. If BB10 pricing was really manipulated by carriers like that, prices would fluctuate wildly from region to region, according to the demand there. The prices BB10 devices are sold at is around the price BlackBerry wants them to be sold at, as with most companies. If this isn't true, carriers could easily put any mobile company out of business by over pricing their hardware.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 03:59 AM
    Actually believe it or not. Carrier's make very little profit off individual iPhone. Apple gets the bulk. Apple also gets a slice of the data plan subscription which is probably the reason they skyrocketed. But hey. When you're on top you can dictate that stuff. Verizon doesn't care cuz everyone else is covering the costs and even small profit off a phone is great when selling by the millions.

Bbry can't do that though. They won't move even st a cheap price and carriers would never sell that cheap off contract anyway.

Source: bro is friends with ex Verizon salesman turned computer programmer

Auto corrected by BB10
    10-20-13 04:11 AM
    Haha. So Samsung makes almost everything in their phones. Much cheaper. Good for them. But they also sell for 650+. Nobody knows how much Google subsidizes LG for the phones. But Google makes their money back. So I will say that Watsa is right. Right now BBRY can not compete in the market. Once they trim the fat from the company and get their operational costs down. Then they can also sell their hardware for cheaper.

As for better hardware... in what meaning. BBRY has always had great hardware. I have sadly dropped my Z10 a bunch of times. A handful on concrete. It's dinged up on the corners and edges. But it still works flawlessly. (I work aircraft maintenance so I probably should have a case). You know how many cracked iPhone and Android screens I see at work all the time. A guy I work with makes tons of money replacing people's iPhone screens at work. Crazy.

BBRY is working to trim operational costs. Once they finish that the hardware prices will come down.

Posted via CB10

Has it ever occurred to you that you see a LOT of cracked Samsung and iPhone screens because they sell more than 20 times the amount of the Z10?

That's like claiming an Accord is less durable than a Ferrari simply because you see more broken hondas in your nearby Auto repair shops than Ferrari vehicles.
    10-20-13 04:19 AM
    Has it ever occurred to you that you see a LOT of cracked Samsung and iPhone screens because they sell more than 20 times the amount of the Z10?

That's like claiming an Accord is less durable than a Ferrari simply because you see more broken hondas in your nearby Auto repair shops than Ferrari vehicles.
    Has it occured to YOU that I'm talking about watching a dude drop an iPhone and his screen spiderwebs? My BlackBerry took a trip off a roller coaster. Few scratches here and there. The most damage came from where one of the workers bent the back off it trying to get it open to steal the SD card. It was still on and working just fine kept calling it after the ride. The fact is, BlackBerry is built as a tougher device. They aren't made to look all sexy and pretty (even though the 99x0 and Zx0 devices are very pretty imho). They are utility devices. Made to handle the abuse of people on the move.

I dropped my storm 2 (the same one that survived being launched off the maverick at Cedar Point) from half way up the ladder going into a KC-135 (at least 6 feet). Hit the concrete, chipped off the side and dented it. Of course the battery popped out. The same fall would have destroyed a glass iPhone.

Look at the design of the Z10. The screen is slightly recessed and protected on all sides. IPhone is glass all the way to the edges. Can't survive a corner Impact. It puts pressure on the glass. I would assume the Z30 would suffer the same fate as the other phones as well. But they are trying to survive in a consumer world so that's the sacrifice made. You should see my poor Z. She's dented all over on the sides and corners. screens still not cracked. So it's not sheer numbers I'm talking about. The iPhone is a delicate device because it's made to be "pretty".

Auto corrected by BB10
    10-20-13 06:39 AM
    Has it occured to YOU that I'm talking about watching a dude drop an iPhone and his screen spiderwebs? My BlackBerry took a trip off a roller coaster. Few scratches here and there. The most damage came from where one of the workers bent the back off it trying to get it open to steal the SD card. It was still on and working just fine kept calling it after the ride. The fact is, BlackBerry is built as a tougher device. They aren't made to look all sexy and pretty (even though the 99x0 and Zx0 devices are very pretty imho). They are utility devices. Made to handle the abuse of people on the move.

I dropped my storm 2 (the same one that survived being launched off the maverick at Cedar Point) from half way up the ladder going into a KC-135 (at least 6 feet). Hit the concrete, chipped off the side and dented it. Of course the battery popped out. The same fall would have destroyed a glass iPhone.

Look at the design of the Z10. The screen is slightly recessed and protected on all sides. IPhone is glass all the way to the edges. Can't survive a corner Impact. It puts pressure on the glass. I would assume the Z30 would suffer the same fate as the other phones as well. But they are trying to survive in a consumer world so that's the sacrifice made. You should see my poor Z. She's dented all over on the sides and corners. screens still not cracked. So it's not sheer numbers I'm talking about. The iPhone is a delicate device because it's made to be "pretty".

Auto corrected by BB10
    Except that the iPhone has acquitted itself pretty well in several drop tests against many other flagship devices.
    I've had two friends drop their Z10s and the screen has broken. You are providing anecdotal evidence as fact, and that's just hilarious. It's not even about 'slightly recessed screen'. The Lumia 920 doesn't have a recessed screen and its one of the most rugged phones out there, screen included.

My earlier point still stands. There are far more iPhones and Galaxy devices on repair tables for screen related issues mainly because there are far more of them.

PS: as always, it depends on how the phone falls. When I had an iPhone, I've had corner drops where the metal band took the impact and no damage to the screen. I would not say the iPhone 5 or 5S were delicate phones.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    richardat likes this.
    10-20-13 08:32 AM
    So BlackBerry aren't more rugged? I have heard of curves being run over and nothing but scratches.

I will agree the ip5 and 5s are much better. I'm stationed in okinawa. Most of these guys are still on 4's and 4S. Unless they just got to the island. Then they are on a 5.

Auto corrected by BB10
    10-20-13 10:36 AM
    So BlackBerry aren't more rugged? I have heard of curves being run over and nothing but scratches.

I will agree the ip5 and 5s are much better. I'm stationed in okinawa. Most of these guys are still on 4's and 4S. Unless they just got to the island. Then they are on a 5.

Auto corrected by BB10
    You should not compare BB OS devices with protruding keyboards, tiny plastic screens and huge bezels with full screen devices sporting tiny bezels.
    The 4 and 4S had glass on both front and back, basically doubling the vulnerability. 5 and 5s are tougher with the aluminium backing

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    richardat likes this.
    10-20-13 02:05 PM

Auto corrected by BB10
    I agree with the cost of R&D, shipping and bills, but why do you think BIS subscriptions went away?

BlackBerry 10 smartphones are BIS-free, but those phones aren't selling nearly as well as the 2 year old BlackBerry smartphones that do have BIS are. BlackBerry is still making subscription money.
    10-20-13 11:13 PM
    I agree with the cost of R&D, shipping and bills, but why do you think BIS subscriptions went away?

BlackBerry 10 smartphones are BIS-free, but those phones aren't selling nearly as well as the 2 year old BlackBerry smartphones that do have BIS are. BlackBerry is still making subscription money.
    BlackBerry is bleeding users of bbos devices. And bb10 is growing. It's just not growing fast enough to cover them bleeding BIS users.

Auto corrected by BB10
    10-21-13 05:18 AM
    BlackBerry is bleeding users of bbos devices. And bb10 is growing. It's just not growing fast enough to cover them bleeding BIS users.

Auto corrected by BB10
    Q1 2014: BlackBerry shipped 6.8 million smartphones, only 2.7 million of which were BlackBerry 10.

Q2 2014: "During the second quarter the company recognized hardware revenue on approximately 3.7 million BlackBerry smartphones. Most of the units recognized are BlackBerry 7 devices, in part because certain BlackBerry 10 devices that were shipped in the second quarter of fiscal 2014 will not be recognized until those devices are sold through to end customers. "

That is the most details we have as far as numbers for BB10 in Q2. However, we did hear that the company had to write off almost a Billion dollars in unsold Z10s.

There has yet to be a quarter where BlackBerry reported BlackBerry 10 devices have out sold legacy BlackBerry devices. That is the fact of the matter. The only thing releated to QNX based BlackBerry devices that we know for a fact is growing is the amount of money they have lost the company. Which now sits at nearly 3 billion dollars.
    10-21-13 09:03 AM
    Nokia Lumia 1320 hands-on: a huge 720p Windows Phone with a budget-minded price

Here is how you win marketshare!

But BlackBerry has its own strategy. Introduce a subpar "budget" phone for $500.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    10-22-13 10:49 AM
    Nokia Lumia 1320 hands-on: a huge 720p Windows Phone with a budget-minded price

Here is how you win marketshare!

But BlackBerry has its own strategy. Introduce a subpar "budget" phone for $500.
    Exactly. Instead BlackBerry will just price it high and throw out buzzwords like prosumer to justify it. Windows will be increasing market share and getting apps ported to it while BlackBerry will just keep with the failed strategy they have been using since BBOS7 and the PlayBook and not understand why people aren't jumping on board.

Posted via CB10
    bekkay and Poirots Progeny like this.
    10-22-13 01:07 PM
88 ... 234