I'm somewhat new to the BlackBerry world and the thing that I always hear about BBs are how great they are for Emailing. But, is it me or is the email on my iPhone/Touch better? First of all it takes 10 - 12 mins for me to get POP emails but on the iPhone/Touch, it's instant. The HTML font is too big on the BB (Tour) and the images are all out of wack. My question is... it there something wrong with my service or phone or is this how it's always been for BlackBerrys?
    09-10-09 02:03 PM
    First, what kind of e-mail do you have setup on your BB.

Second, I don't have an iPhone/Touch, but I don't think that it alerts you when you have a new e-mail message. Don't you have to physically open the e-mail app on the device itself to check to see if you have new messages? If that's the case, then of course it'd be instant, since you're logging in to check them... Like I said, I don't have an iPhone, so I'm not exactly sure how that works...

As far as the font on your Tour goes, you should be able to change that under the Options menu under Screen/Keyboard. There you should be able to change the size of the font that you will see on the text of the message.
    As far as HTML messages go (like newsletters, etc), I don't think there's a way that you can chage the font on those, I think they just come across as best they can, since they're obviously being converted from the original, full size message, into a smaller size that's (in theory) easier to view. I don't really think there's a way to change this, I'm sorry.

As far as the time it's taking you to recieve e-mails, it'd be helpful to know what e-mail provider you are using, if it's POP or IMAP setup on the BB. You should probably re-send your service books and see if that makes a difference. Go to e-mail setup on your Tour, log in, go to help, then send service books. That might do the trick!
    09-10-09 02:13 PM
    You get alerts from iPhones, and if you go into the app it will auto refresh. The alerts are every 10 mins. What does sending service books do?
    09-10-09 02:41 PM
    When I send the Service Books I get the notification instantly.
    09-10-09 02:44 PM
    Yeah, that's a good thing, means that there isn't really anything wrong with your setup and network... Have you tried sending yourself a test e-mail to see if the speed is any better?

The difference with the iPhone e-mail and the BB e-mail is that the iPhone will check your e-mail server every 10 minutes to see if you have any new e-mails, where the BB links with your inbox and pushes the e-mail directly to your device whenever one hits your inbox.

There are some people who say that there is a delay sometimes when the BB will essentially do the same thing, every 15 minutes it'll check with the mail server to see if there is any new e-mails, then push them to your device.

I've never really experienced this, I mean, I've had the occasional delay here and there, but 99% of the time I get my e-mails within seconds of them hitting my physical inbox. What e-mail service do you use?

Oh yeah, sending service books sends your e-mail setup information, as well as other information provided from your carrier to your BB. Sometimes, if there is a problem with recieving/sending e-mails, one of the first things to do is resend the service books, that usually will clear it up. Think of it as refreshing your settings incase something got screwed up along the way. Another thing you can try also is doing a battery pull. Leave your BB on, open the back and pull the battery for about 30 seconds, then put it back in. This is like resetting your computer, it resets your BB, which is also good to do if you are having some problems with your BB running sluggish, or if there's a small problem that just needs resetting. If you go to app world and download Quickpull, this does the same thing as the battery pull without you having to pull the battery.
    Last edited by elvin1983; 09-10-09 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Because I didn't finish answering the first time
    09-10-09 02:57 PM
    The 15 minutes is normal if you have a POP email setup to go to your device. I'm afraid that's just how BIS works and there's nothing you can do about that.

In short BIS checks your email every 15 minutes and pushes new mails to hit the inbox to your phone. When it sees and pushes new mail the next check is done 3 minutes after and as long as it finds new mail it keeps checking and pushing every 3 minutes. Once there is no mail on the 3 minute check it then returns to 15 minute checks until new mail is found and pushed to the device and the 3 minute checks start again.

Search the forum for an excellent detailed description of how BIS works written by Blackberry_sith

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-09 04:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD