We all know that Canadians love their BlackBerries, and Ipsos-Reid shows that 38% of us use one, which makes it the #1 smartphone in Canada. Rounding out the rest shows Apple with 25% market share and Android devices at 27%.

Ipsos-Reid Study

This shows that outside of the US things aren't so bleak for RIM...
    Last edited by SharpieFiend; 11-09-11 at 10:06 AM.
    11-09-11 09:59 AM
    That's TERRIBLE! June 1st they had 42% according to Comscore. That means they lost 10% of their hold in 5 months. If the numbers are right, then Android is the big winner as Apple has lost about 5% of it's hold as well.

RIM has 42% market share in Canada

Call it home turf advantage if you must, but according to comScore’s latest survey, Waterloo, Ontario-based Research In Motion has planted a BlackBerry into the mitten-clad paws of 42% of Canadian smartphone owners. Apple trails at 31%, with Android at 12%, Symbian at 6.4% and Windows Phone/Mobile at 5.1%. On a comparative basis, Canada’s smartphone penetration actually sits above the U.S., France, Germany, and Japan at 32.8%.

comScore’s study also looks at mobile activities; over the span of a month, 64.5% had sent a text message, 48.9% had taken a picture, and 40.6% used an app. Despite BlackBerry taking the lead in market share, e-mail only accounted for 29.7% of activity.

It’s interesting to see BlackBerry take such a significant lead when just south of the border, Android is pulling similar numbers. From personal experience, I’ve seen a lot of my friends get their first smartphone this year, and across the board, it was pretty much all Android. I’ll be curious to see how (or if) comScore’s figures change in a quarter or two.
    Last edited by TheMimic; 11-09-11 at 10:08 AM.
    11-09-11 10:05 AM
    That's TERRIBLE! June 1st they had 42% according to Comscore. That means they lost 10% of their hold in 5 months.

Makes sense
    Lots of new Android devices on Rogers and Bell are free on contract, the 9300 has been the only free on contract phone, everyone in the summer who knew about cellphones would have said wait for OS7 phones, they'll be great, then RIM took far to long to release the Curve,

Add to that the margin of error on each poll and there demographic I am actually surprised there wasn't a bigger drop seeing as all 3 main carriers had promotions for large data plans taking away the advantage of the small cheap plans.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-11 10:12 AM
    That's TERRIBLE! June 1st they had 42% according to Comscore. That means they lost 10% of their hold in 5 months. If the numbers are right, then Android is the big winner as Apple has lost about 5% of it's hold as well.

That's a very small drop comapred to the US. Of course it may have something to do with the three year contracts Canadian carriers lock people into.
    11-09-11 11:09 AM
    That's a very small drop comapred to the US. Of course it may have something to do with the three year contracts Canadian carriers lock people into.
    That's a great point. The 3-year contract didn't come to my mind until you stated it... as for personal experience, I renewed my 3-year deal with a Bold 9900, and I know my cousin and a couple of his friends got a 9900 (not sure if they went on contract though). In any case, not too bad for RIM with all that negative press south of the border. As the market saturates with quality alternatives, it's only natural for the market share to level off. As the author stated, it's a matter of staying current and relevant... that's RIM's challenge right now.
    11-09-11 01:07 PM
    Going from 42% to 38% is a 4 point drop, what's the margin of error on the studies? The one saying 38% is 2.6 points, there isn't any info for the other one. Combine that with different methodologies and I'm not sure it means anything. If we had the same survey from the same polling firm at two different times we might actually learn something, but even then you've got error margins.

Android is definitely the big winner, but I wouldn't say RIM's lost 10% in 5 months.
    11-09-11 01:33 PM
    Deep inside that article: PlayBook has 10% of the tablet market here? Wow!
    11-09-11 09:56 PM
    Deep inside that article: PlayBook has 10% of the tablet market here? Wow!
    Are you kidding me I've never seen another person with a Playbook but I do know 9 others with iPads.

Oh wait that is 10% playbooks....
    11-09-11 11:32 PM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Blackberry still rules the professional and business world in Canada....and i don't see tbat changing soon .... The Bold 9900 / 9930 is king!
    11-10-11 04:04 AM
    Are you kidding me I've never seen another person with a Playbook but I do know 9 others with iPads.

Oh wait that is 10% playbooks....
    From people I see once a month or more, I know
    4 Just ipad owners
    7 Just PlayBook owners
    2 Just Galaxy tab owers (7")
    5 PlayBook & iPad owners
    1 PlayBook, iPad, Galaxy Tab, ASUS Transformer owner.

It doesn't surprise me that the PlayBook has a 10% Market share It is well advertised at the Toronto AirPort, It works with BlackBerry phones which are still dominate in Canadian Businesses, and FutureShop has a PlayBook Display in both the Cellphone sections and the Tablet sections giving it more exposure than non Apple Tablets which still have the most exposure.
    11-10-11 06:56 AM
    Marketshare is small when one country is factored in. Try factoring world-wide marketshare, it's bigger.

Not jumping ship, period. PS. I see many people with blackberries in toronto, some droids and some iDevices. I bike, so I see more as I go.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9700 using Tapatalk @ wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-11 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD