Please help! I have tried several times to get my gmail account to work with my blackberry, but every time I get a message saying, "Action required. Update settings..." It tells me to turn on IMAP access, which was already on, and then to validate my account. The directions in the message tell me to choose email settings/email accounts/validate, but no such settings or folder exist on my 8310. So I followed the steps outlined here, which include re-registering and resending the service books. Now the mailbox shows up on my device and I can send email from my blackberry using my gmail address, but I still get no mail forwarded to me, only receiving more messages telling me that "action is required."

What am I doing wrong?
    09-07-09 03:13 PM
    have you tried the option

Manage Internet Email
    09-07-09 03:18 PM
    What carrier is your device registered on? Have you went to "email setup wizard" on the device?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-09 03:20 PM
    I am on AT&T.

Phongables, I must be blind because I cannot find the "manage internet email" option. Crucial, I tried the email setup wizard and clicked validate for my gmail address, and it immediately sent me another message saying the same thing as all the others.
    09-07-09 03:34 PM
    it might be in your SETTINGS folder
    09-07-09 03:36 PM
    There's no such option on the 83xx series.

As Crucial has indicated, it the "Email Setup Wizard" on the 83xx.

To the OP, have you been able to successfully set up any other email addresses on the device such as from another email provider?
    09-07-09 03:47 PM
    09-07-09 03:52 PM
    I have now gone through every icon and into every folder on my device, and I do not see anything about managing internet email. I even reset the theme and made sure I had all icons showing, and nothing.

I go through all the steps and my gmail inbox is on my Blackberry. I then validate it and get a message saying the account has been activated and encouraging me to download the gmail plugin. But that is it. I then start to get messages telling me to validate the account or turn on gmail IMAP, and both of those have been done a billion times. And when I try to send a message from my blackberry, it comes back telling me that the account is in "invalid mode," even though BIS says it has been validated.
    09-07-09 04:09 PM
    thats a bummer. what all else fails..go to the at&t store and let them do it for you. What OS do you have running?
    09-07-09 04:11 PM
    Thanks for trying. I am using OS 4.5.0.110.

After working with it I have discovered that it invalidates my gmail address about 2 minutes after I initially validate it. So what happens is I validate it, then I can use it for a few minutes, then it suddenly invalidates itself again. For some reason the BB server isn't remembering that I have validated it, or something is happening to make it invalid again.

I don't know what to do about that.
    09-07-09 04:36 PM
    is the icon hidden?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-09 04:45 PM
    Your Gmail account could be locked from 3rd party access, try unlocking it

https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha
    09-07-09 04:54 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried what you wonderful people have suggested, but BIS just will not remember that I have validated my account. I'm hoping RIM is having a server problem. I will try again tomorrow.
    09-07-09 05:12 PM
    I hope so, Mine did some crazy stuff earlier today with respect to receiving gmail but requesting the service books and a battery pull fixed it. Seems that BIS might have been having some small issues today.
    09-07-09 10:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD