I kid you not. As it happens, within the last 2 weeks I've had occasion to set up a few of my partners' new phones to make sure they get their company email and all, and those phones happen to have been an IPhone 5 and a Samsung Galaxy Note. It's been an underwhelming experience in many ways. Not that the hardware was that disappointing, but the reports of these platforms having evolved to higher realms has been greatly exaggerated, relative to RIM and Blackberry, whose demise has also been greatly exaggerated (recent BGR reports of a delay of BB 10 to March, 2013 notwithstanding). I'm not going to bash either Apple or Android, the obvious leaders far out in front of BB and WP. This can't not be but acknowledged -- that Apple and several Android manufacturers have put together more advanced specs, including battery life, screen clarity and speed.

But the same things we here have been griping about endlessly are evident in those platforms too, along with some others. A confusion of muddled, often substandard apps. Adds cropping up everywhere. And this irritating habit of conveniently linking everything either to an Itunes account or to a gmail account, depending on which device. So as you access features, like video through Youtube, you seamlessly are automatically registered with a Youtube account, never mind you didn't want one, you got one. They don't even tell you its happening until its happened. Not only are there too many lousy apps, there are too many screens chock-a-block with these lousy apps. Both the I5 and the Note have a lot of bloatware built in. And neither had the kind of access to internal settings that, as a Blackberry user, I'd always imagined were more easily accessed and available in a greater level of detail. Some of this doubtless reflects my lack of experience with either IOS or ICS, but if so, there is more of a learning curve than I'd expected. Neither platform is all that intuitive.

And the thing we've all known all the long is email. Nothing comes close to Blackberry, even with this "life-support-7.1-Blackberry-OS-running-on-1970's-hardware" situation. Blackberry is just qualitatively superior in speed, display, shortcuts, etc., all down the line. No contest. I sure hope BB 10 doesn't sacrifice this.

So this happens twice to me. I spend a few days with the new devices and strip them down and set them up and they're both running well. And I separately walk each of my partners through the new device and to do this we sit down and I send and receive and reply to a series of emails to and from the I5 and then the Note. And what do you think? After about ten minutes of this, each of these guys are asking to see my 9900 and soon are asking me why they don't have one. Never mind they were each dead-set against that choice, having never actually used one or seen one in operation.

This thread is either a long, loser's lament, or else the suggestion, at least, that there still is a live opportunity for RIM in 2013.
    10-09-12 02:15 PM
    Define bloatware. The only thing on my iPhone I don't use is the news stand app.

I've got four times the bloatware on my Storm2 than I do on my iPhone. I've got two folders hidden on my Storm2 of crap I can't get rid of. NFL. Slacker. V-Cast. I could go on.
    10-09-12 02:24 PM
    Define bloatware. The only thing on my iPhone I don't use is the news stand app.

I've got four times the bloatware on my Storm2 than I do on my iPhone. I've got two folders hidden on my Storm2 of crap I can't get rid of. NFL. Slacker. V-Cast. I could go on.
    Maybe it's carrier bloatware? Or after a day or 2 with the owner, he seemed to have downloaded a number of apps as part of his trying to get up to speed. We use them for mostly email and phone, with web capability. There were several map and navigation apps, games, shopping apps, I don't really recall because at the user's request I uninstalled them. I also confess to being stubborn and still resistent to "everything's an app". I remember when everything was going to be web-based so we wouldn't need to keep updating all these apps and wouldn't have to contend with rolling bugs from continually rolling app updates.
    10-09-12 02:45 PM
    Maybe it's carrier bloatware? Or after a day or 2 with the owner, he seemed to have downloaded a number of apps as part of his trying to get up to speed. We use them for mostly email and phone, with web capability. There were several map and navigation apps, games, shopping apps, I don't really recall because at the user's request I uninstalled them. I also confess to being stubborn and still resistent to "everything's an app". I remember when everything was going to be web-based so we wouldn't need to keep updating all these apps and wouldn't have to contend with rolling bugs from continually rolling app updates.
    Sounds like he downloaded a bunch of apps himself and didn't know how to delete them. Common problem among iPhone users who are new. I admit that I didn't know how to delete an app until I called my sister. With BB, it's easy. Just highlight the app, select delete.

Every BB I've owned on three major US carriers - AT&T, Verizon and Sprint - have come packed with bloatware. Verizon is the worst, but Sprint was a close second. Sad thing was, one of the apps I actually wanted to use on my Sprint phone but couldn't get it to work because CDMA speeds and coverage are both laughable on Sprint.
    10-09-12 03:01 PM
    After about ten minutes of this, each of these guys are asking to see my 9900 and soon are asking me why they don't have one. Never mind they were each dead-set against that choice, having never actually used one or seen one in operation.

This thread is either a long, loser's lament, or else the suggestion, at least, that there still is a live opportunity for RIM in 2013.
    this is one of RIM's biggest problems. They make an awesome phone, but because its a Blackberry, many people won't initially give it a chance.

RIM has to work on re-branding their image if they want to succeed. BB10 is just half the battle. Brand perception in the US has to change.
    00stryder likes this.
    10-09-12 03:15 PM
    this is one of RIM's biggest problems. They make an awesome phone, but because its a Blackberry, many people won't initially give it a chance.

RIM has to work on re-branding their image if they want to succeed. BB10 is just half the battle. Brand perception in the US has to change.
    I'll say it again. Carriers. If rim gets them on board things will get better. Look at windows phone. Great platform but the carriers have hindered it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    10-09-12 03:35 PM

The bloat refers to crap on the andorid devices, and the bloat you refer to on your BB are not installed apps, but web links to install apps, most of which are placed there by your carrier. Again, not apps, but web links to install apps.
    10-09-12 05:03 PM
    Wonderful thing about Android is you get carrier AND manufacturer bloatware haha
    10-09-12 05:10 PM
    No, the iPhone doesn't come with any carrier bloatware, period. Any apps that were on the phone were there because they were installed by the user.
    10-09-12 07:12 PM
    kind of hard to agree with you when you don't even have all your facts correct. iphone don't have crap app from the carrier. i want to knwo which app you saw on the iphone that you thought was bloatware. i'm actually very interested in what you come up with. just go to your partner tomorrow and look at his phone and write down the list

just fyi, i don't even use an iphone. just can't agree with people putting out false info.
    10-09-12 08:18 PM
    thanks OP, thanks for putting into words my exact thoughts.
    10-10-12 12:11 AM
    The bloat refers to crap on the andorid devices, and the bloat you refer to on your BB are not installed apps, but web links to install apps, most of which are placed there by your carrier. Again, not apps, but web links to install apps.
    And you can't get rid of those web links unless you install the program, do a reboot, delete the program and do another reboot. It's easier to put them all in a folder and hide the folder.
    anon(73368) likes this.
    10-10-12 08:21 AM
    kind of hard to agree with you when you don't even have all your facts correct. iphone don't have crap app from the carrier. i want to knwo which app you saw on the iphone that you thought was bloatware. i'm actually very interested in what you come up with. just go to your partner tomorrow and look at his phone and write down the list

just fyi, i don't even use an iphone. just can't agree with people putting out false info.
    I don't know from false info. I do know there was a profusion of apps he didn't want or need after a day or two. It may be that his IP5 came in pristine, lean and clean and spare, but I recall a certain number of of baubles that he later wanted cleaned out. Maybe he opened up Passbook or App Store and then downloaded some apps accidentally. I will say for the sake of FYI, that the Android had more of this sort of stuff than the IP5, IIRC. And also, as I indicated in my OP, Blackberry, particularly with ATT, has this same problem. But I hadn't encountered the sort of creepware with Blackberry, where you are enticed into downloading apps in a sometimes insidious way. YVMV.
    10-10-12 04:20 PM
    After about ten minutes of this, each of these guys are asking to see my 9900 and soon are asking me why they don't have one. Never mind they were each dead-set against that choice, having never actually used one or seen one in operation.
    I get this alot at work as well.
    IT will make a change and everyone's email will stop working on all the phones. I will set mine up and lots of people will ask me how to do it on thier android or itoy.
    So I will help them set it up, then send a quick test email from my 9900 to make sure it's working and I'll get asked "oh what kind of phone is that" or "wow you typed that email fast" or "a phone with a keyboard?" and as soon as I tell them yeah it's my same old Blackberry I've had for a while now. I get the "Blackberry is dead"
    Some people.
    I think next time I'll just tell em I only fix Blackberries
    10-10-12 07:12 PM