Wanted to share this nice little story of how convenient my Blackberry was to me yesterday.

So my brother just bought a house and my dad and I were helping him hook up his washer and dryer. So he needed a longer power cord for his dryer. We knew of the several Home Depot's in the area, but weren't sure which one would be closer, what time they closed, and if they had what we needed in stock.

So I pulled out my Blackberry, got on Google Maps, searched Home Depot, found which one would be quicker to get to by getting directions and seeing the miles and driving time. Then I called that store because Google Maps gives you the phone number and you can dial it right from Google Maps!!

This was such a huge convenience!! My dad and brother were really impressed I could get all that done when we needed it and were frustrated with the washer and dryer setup in my brother's new house.

I've only owned a Blackberry since August and this was one of the few experiences so far that REALLY impressed me! Plus everything loaded so fast, I can't complain with Sprint's EVDO in my area, it's very fast! So Kudos to RIM and to Sprint!
    10-29-08 01:57 AM
    Not only a great Blackberry Promo, but also a good Home Depot promo
    10-29-08 02:19 AM
    Yeah I love Google maps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-08 10:35 AM
    I've used GMaps to find trails while hiking, places to eat while taveling in other people's vehicles, provide directions to others and on and on. Amazing that all I wanted when I got the Curve was email and phone. Now I would not be w/o the browser, Media and etc.
    10-29-08 11:00 AM
    great stories. if you want, post your story for the Crackberry book.

www.crackberry.com/book.
    10-29-08 12:42 PM
    I've used GMaps to find trails while hiking...
    I never thought of that one, I'll have to try
    10-29-08 01:21 PM
    THIS is why smartphones rock. Does anyone remember the original* iPhone commercials? Watching Pirates of the Caribbean 2, see the squid, search google maps for "calamari", find the nearest seafood place, and call them? That kind of integration is exactly what you get with the BB and the reason I will be happy to pay the BB service charge every month.

*iPhone advertising seems to be focusing heavily on the idea of 3rd party apps, particularly games, now.
    10-29-08 08:29 PM
    the newest version of Google Maps allows voice searching... pretty slick - even worked with my country accent...
    10-29-08 08:58 PM
    I love google maps!!! My navigation system in my lexus is useless :/

I even have friends calling me asking if I can get a certain place phone number, or directions. I think to myself sometime "wtf I should be charging for this" lol
    10-29-08 10:17 PM
    great stories. if you want, post your story for the Crackberry book.

www.crackberry.com/book.
    Cool thanks! I'll have to write up and submit.
    10-30-08 11:22 AM
    I have a story!

I am an AVID Buffalo Bills fan (GO BILLS!!!) and for my birthday this year I wanted to go to the opening game (my birthday was two days before the home opener.) So I got the tickets (which I got on eBay through my phone) and made plans to leave that Sunday with my boyfriend and his friend.

Well, whilest on our way there I was watching highlights from a game last year (on my phone on youtube!) and when I looked up i noticed that we took the wrong exit and ended up in some hick town with no idea how to get back to the throughway. And the navigation system in his Lancer was not cutting it.

So I whipped out my 8100 and got onto mapquest and within 30 seconds I had us on a road leading back to the throughway. The boys were dumbstruck. (We made it just in time for kickoff AND we won the game too!!!)

Needless to say that on the way home we used my phone for directions instead of his navigation system. LOL I got to show off my BB skills and my team won! couldn't have asked for a better birthday!

My boyfriend and his friends still poke fun at me for being so attached to my BB but they always acknowledge the fact that if I didn't have the abilities that I have on my pearl, we would have had to try to find a gas station and remember the directions back to the throughway!

I love my phone and I swear on my life I will never switch to another company again. BlackBerry is THE WAY!!!!

You should have been on a Blackberry commercial! That would be perfect because it's such an average task (putting together an appliance, needing another part, not knowing where to go and what to get) and people do that everyday. It would really get across that, yeah BBs were originally for business orriented people, but now they are more consumer friendly with more applications that are media based. RIM should come to this site for its marketing strategies LOL
    10-30-08 01:05 PM
    Us folks with Blackberry's... we're so smart aren't we
    10-30-08 01:15 PM
    If only Office Depot didn't take the slogan "Takin' care of business," RIM could easily use it.
    10-30-08 01:34 PM
    If only Office Depot didn't take the slogan "Takin' care of business," RIM could easily use it.
    Haha that would be a good slogan for RIM.

Great story Crystall09!! Thanks for posting that!

I welcome anyone that has a story that matches the title of this thread to post in here!

I can picture my story as a TV commercial. Me, my dad and brother standing there struggling with the darn washer and dryer. Then me whipping out the Curve, getting on Google Maps and calling Home Depot!
    10-31-08 02:53 AM
    Just switched to the Curve on Sprint and my wife called saying our daughter had a hassle cashing her check so she had no money. I was north of where she works, called her she says I will never find it but I got the address, ran Sprint Navigation, punched in the address and drove almost to the door. I missed the road and it corrected and sent me around and to the door. It worked like a charm, saved lots of frustration and calling.
    10-31-08 09:38 AM
    There are way to many stories of mine like this to try and type. People calling for phone numbers, directions, restaurant ideas, etc. And not to mention when I got lost in chicago. This curve has helped me out sooo many times.

10-31-08 11:55 AM
    My story's not nearly as cool as these, but whatever.

The first night with the Berry, wife & I are at a restaurant with her step dad and an elderly aunt. The elderly ones got into a mild argument over Objectivism and what it meant. While they were speculating back and forth I pulled up Wikipedia and asked if they'd like a definition in Ayn Rand's own words. Closed the argument handily.
    10-31-08 12:14 PM
    I used it last night to find a Jack In The Box..
    10-31-08 01:00 PM
    YEP, ive been in situations similar many times..i use google maps and this app called Point
    08-04-09 05:28 PM
    My BlackBerry saved me last week. I was on vacation in Atlanta, and being directionally-challenged, I got lost several times. GPS ftw! I doubt I would have gotten home if I hadn't used it.

08-04-09 07:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD