Nope. Google does not triangulate. They simply give you the location of the cell tower you're attached to (blue dot on My Location Beta) and then the circle area is calculated based on your radio signal strength on the handset.
    THAT explains why it will consistantly locate the same place all of the time. Well that's cool... I should be able to drive down the road and see where all the VZW towers are. Cool.
    02-05-09 12:21 PM
    does anyone know why when i use my gps with bbmaps (verizon) it says searching for satelllites...and stays there. It seems like it cant find any satellites when i have 5 bars of reception.

thanks
    02-05-09 12:58 PM
    Sorry if this seems like a simple question, but do you have the GPS turned on in Advanced Options?
    02-05-09 01:18 PM
    does anyone know why when i use my gps with bbmaps (verizon) it says searching for satelllites...and stays there. It seems like it cant find any satellites when i have 5 bars of reception.

thanks
    How long are you giving it. BB Maps can take upwards of 3 min to get its initial lock.
    02-05-09 01:45 PM
    Sorry if this seems like a simple question, but do you have the GPS turned on in Advanced Options?
    yup, gps is turned on in advanced options.

also for network, i tried both global and ev1 and no success..
    02-05-09 02:06 PM
    yup, gps is turned on in advanced options.

also for network, i tried both global and ev1 and no success..
    As long as GPS is ON (and not 911 only), this really should work.

Again, how long are you waiting? The first lock (from when you hit Start GPS Navigation) takes FOREVER
    02-05-09 02:26 PM
    left it on for 30 minutse and got unable to locate/lock gps.

this stinks...does anyone have any ideas?
    02-06-09 10:35 AM
    Why bother with GMaps. BBMaps pinpoints me exaclty where I am with no issues at all.
    02-06-09 10:44 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD