I have purchased the new storm> I had hoped that the Google-Maps program would be able to use the internal GPS, but I was told that Verizon intentionally disables the GPS function. It is only enabled to use with Verizon's "Navigator" program which Verizon charges additionally for.
    Has anyone found a way to bypass this issue, and enable the GPS function to work with the google-maps?
    11-26-08 10:54 AM
    do some searching on here first - there are plenty of discussions on the issue.

The GPS works with BBMaps which is not VZnav and it is expected to work with Google maps but it seems google does not have a version for the Storm yet (some issues they need to address regarding authentication before getting GPS signal).
    11-26-08 10:56 AM
    The GPS seems to be pseudo-locked. Everybody is reporting the same issue with Google Maps, but BB Maps works fine and is able to access the GPS receiver in the device. I don't know if anybody has figured anything out-- maybe there's some sort of different.. driver? in the Storm for using GPS and Google Maps would need to be updated.

Who knows. Also, there are a lot of other threads about the same issue so if you search you may be able to find some additional information.
    11-26-08 10:57 AM
    Thank you for the reply. I have searched this site and the many discussions, but no one seems to be able to aquire a GPS signal with google maps. I guess I will have to be patient.
    11-26-08 10:59 AM
    i loaded google maps this morning and it seems to work okay, it picked my postion right away. I dont know if I'm missing something Im new
    11-26-08 11:03 AM
    i loaded google maps this morning and it seems to work okay, it picked my postion right away. I dont know if I'm missing something Im new
    Unless Google released a new, Storm compatible version, your Google Maps is calculating your position based on cell towers, not GPS. If you really look at it, you'll notice it's close, but no cigar.
    11-26-08 11:06 AM
    The google-maps does indeed work on my strom, but the loaction is not exact. Does your phone show the exact location based on GPS?
    11-26-08 11:06 AM
    Google does a triagulation "my location" which is probably what you got. There was a developer on here who sorted through the process and seemed to identify that there was an authentication issue with Google maps . . . considering BBMaps works and is free I am fairly happy until the issue is resolved.
    11-26-08 11:07 AM
    I tried it also this morning,after the install and disabling compatibility, it zoomed right down to the building i'm in, in satellite view...Used to show me on a golf course 2 miles from here...
    11-26-08 11:07 AM
    i'm not sure if it is cell tower or gps location how would I find out?
    11-26-08 11:10 AM
    Does the BBMaps offer turn by turn like the VZN, or is it just a map?
    11-26-08 11:12 AM
    If you look at your event log after using Google Maps you will notice the following Warnings:

a System - CMM: GoogleMaps(1855) no sig from 0x33
    a Location API - Application must set valid PDE IP and Port to get Location
    11-26-08 11:13 AM
    Try it while moving and in a few different places . . GPS should show you almost spot on in terms of location . . triangulation will be perfect in some areas and off by 20-30 feet or several blocks in others.
    11-26-08 11:13 AM
    Thank you for the reply. I have searched this site and the many discussions, but no one seems to be able to aquire a GPS signal with google maps. I guess I will have to be patient.
    Just curious... If you searched and found the many threads, why did you start a new one?

If the "pin" is blue with a lighter blue circle around it, you are using cell tower triangulation... not gps.
    11-26-08 11:15 AM
    If the little blue dot representing you is blinking, then you only have a cell tower triangulation, not a GPS lock.

The GPS works with several after market programs. Verizon did NOT lock the GPS.

In fact it looks like it's full aGPS. BB maps locks on FAST.
    Last edited by GpCaptMandrake; 11-26-08 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Typo
    11-26-08 11:17 AM
    If you look at your event log after using Google Maps you will notice the following Warnings:

a System - CMM: GoogleMaps(1855) no sig from 0x33
    a Location API - Application must set valid PDE IP and Port to get Location

Hey that is promising. On the WM devices you use to have to pick a port on the GPS (or intermediate driver) and in the program . . I do not see the option for defined port in BB, so it may be as simple as Google ignoring the hard selected port and going with the in house intermediate driver.
    11-26-08 11:18 AM
    I started this one, because the others did not seem to be specific to this discussion/issue.
    11-26-08 11:23 AM
    I started this one, because the others did not seem to be specific to this discussion/issue.
    Unfortunately the title is false. Perhaps a question mark at the end would have been more appropriate.

The GPS is definitely not locked. And this has been answered by now in a number of other threads.
    11-26-08 11:36 AM
    Does the BB Maps auto find your location? When I open the program it doesn't do anything, just waits for me to enter a location or whatever.
    11-26-08 12:27 PM
    hit the button on the bottom left it says start GPS
    11-26-08 12:35 PM
    Can you be more specific? The only buttons I have are on the bottom. Magnifying glass, street sign, and Favorites.
    11-26-08 01:11 PM
    Nevermind... got it.
    11-26-08 03:11 PM
    It's unlocked, what they do have locked is aGPS which works with their Cell band for VZ Nav. GPS runs straight off the satellites and doesn't rely on aGPS, but aGPS does acquire you quicker and updates a lot faster. But not by much. GMaps still needs to be updated for the Storm, it picks me up at 700 meters from where I am. But the satellite recognizes I'm there, just not exactly where.
    11-26-08 03:16 PM
    yeah but this google maps or bb maps will not actually talk to you through turn-by-turn directions, or will it?
    11-26-08 03:44 PM
    yeah but this google maps or bb maps will not actually talk to you through turn-by-turn directions, or will it?
    Unfortunately NO. Nav4all and Garmin Mobile will.
    11-26-08 03:46 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD