All the hype about the wifi and how it is supposed to be 3x faster than the 3g... I'm not seeing it. I feel like its not really quicker at all. Do i need to do something on my phone to speed it up, or is anyone else notiing this?

Thanks

Vinnie
    01-15-10 08:19 AM
    I haven't seen anywhere that said 3x faster than 3g. It depends on your current 3G coverage but for some it's a little quicker and for others the same speed. Me personally, wifi is a little faster at home and I work in a office building so it helps me there also as I get no 3G coverage at work. You also have to remember that using the native browser is not as quick as using a 3rd party browser
    01-15-10 08:36 AM
    All the hype about the wifi and how it is supposed to be 3x faster than the 3g... I'm not seeing it. I feel like its not really quicker at all. Do i need to do something on my phone to speed it up, or is anyone else notiing this?

Thanks

Vinnie
    are you using the native browser ? the native is pretty slow with 3G and wifi but use opera mini 2 and its very fast.
    01-15-10 09:13 AM
    In my area, I get about 150 - 200 kbps download speed (as measured by the Cisco app), and about 700 - 800 kbps download speed in my home wi-fi (as measured by the Speed Test app). So yes, I see about 3x of 4x speed difference.

Interesting note: I was side-by-side two iPhone 3G (not 3Gs) users yesterday who also were using the Cisco app, on the AT&T 3G network. One measured 490 kpbs consistently, while the other measured about 150 kbps consistently, same as me. Strange that they were so different...
    01-15-10 09:06 PM
    my wifi seems to be quicker
    01-15-10 09:57 PM
    Yea I have the same issue ..I have a decent internet speed but when I comnegr wifi to my phone its kind off slow ....and I noticed my range is kinda low .....its a pretty good router so I now it throws out a good signal ......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 02:58 PM
    It's not so much the speed. WiFi allows simultaneous voice and data. It also let's you use data if you have a bad voice connection. Also, I've noticed my downloads are quicker over WiFi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 12:24 AM
    Did you switch to hotspot browser? If so I don't know, mine is fast. Very fast.
    01-17-10 02:47 AM
    I read somewhere that the proxy our BB browsers use is freaking slow. The difference in speed measured at mobilespeedtest.com while on wifi between the BB browser and Opera Mini 4.2 is as such: ~300kbps on the BB browser and ~5200kbps on Opera Mini. That's just my experience with it. I also had a very measureable difference in speed between the two browsers when I switched off wifi and just ran at 3G here in Rapid City, South Dakota. It's gotta be the browser.
    01-17-10 06:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD