So much ageism on here? Are people jealous that this technology wasn't available to them when they were 16 and so no 16 y.o.'s now should have it?? Please!
    -Do 16 y.o.'s talk on the phone? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s email? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s text? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s MMS? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s want MP3 players? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s drive, and maybe could use navigation? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s surf the web? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s use Facebook? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s use Instant Messengers? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s use their phones to take pictures? YES

My point - if you haven't figured it out already - is that 16 is clearly not "too young" for a smartphone of any kind at all. Suggesting a prepaid razr is just condescending. We should treat other forum users with respect, no?

My advice is like Rollingbones said - make a list of what features are important to you and then decide if you really want this phone and can put up with a buggy software that will definitely me fixed over time. Weigh the pros and cons dude! Good luck - and Merry Christmas!
    Um...16 is clearly too young for the financial investment involved. If you don't see that, you have issues. If the kid has no straps on his finances, or his parents will buy, go for it. If they (parents) make the 16 year old pay, well, how many 16 year olds can afford a Storm and the monthy plans????
    12-13-08 11:10 PM
    The Storm is actually targeted as a more consumer friendly device, not a business device. I'm 16, I have a Pearl. I love it. I use to have a KRZR. I bought a dirt cheap 7100 off of Ebay to see if I liked BB's, which I did, then I upgraded to my Pearl. I'm on a family plan which my parents pay for but I payed all of the $318 it cost to upgrade early and I pay for my data plan. Its called a job and Blackberries aren't for elite corporate users anymore, there for everyone.

Make sure you try the device out to see if you like it and are comfortable using it. If your new to the whole smartphone world maybe you should try a cheaper, more stable BB like the Curve or Pearl before you spend $500 on a newly released phone that has some kinks that still need to be worked out.
    Last edited by m11stephen; 12-13-08 at 11:21 PM.
    12-13-08 11:18 PM
    The Storm is actually targeted as a more consumer friendly device, not a business device. I'm 16, I have a Pearl. I love it. I use to have a KRZR. I bought a dirt cheap 7100 off of Ebay to see if I liked BB's, which I did, then I upgraded to my Pearl. I'm on a family plan which my parents pay for but I payed all of the $318 it cost to upgrade early and I pay for my data plan. Its called a job and Blackberries aren't for elite corporate users anymore, there for everyone.

Make sure you try the device out to see if you like it and are comfortable using it. If your new to the whole smartphone world maybe you should try a cheaper, more stable BB like the Curve or Pearl before you spend $500 on a newly released phone that has some kinks that still need to be worked out.
    I should have had whatever job you had at 16.
    12-14-08 12:17 AM
    I should have had whatever job you had at 16.
    I should have had a job(period)
    12-14-08 01:25 AM
    I would say go check it out before you make a commitment with the Storm.. I am 29 and I did spend after tax over 500 for my Bold *$ 399 + 75 for exception upgrade* and I love my bold.. I did try the Storm out a couple of weeks ago and I personally thought it was cool but I did not like the touchscreen because I am so used to a full qwerty keyboard....

The Storm is better in my opinion of the iPhone aka the ah f#*k phone but still a bb with a touchscreen that you need to press pretty hard. Now if the Storm would of had a slide out or roll out kb as well as be on the att network, I would get one asap!

Charlie
    12-14-08 01:32 AM
    I agree With some other posters look into it and see if you like it BEFORE you have someone spend that kind of money. It is fun and I believe will only get beter as updates come out and features get tweaked but You also have to realize their is a 30 monthly fee from verizon to be able to truly enjoy the Storm.
    12-14-08 06:45 AM
    Um...16 is clearly too young for the financial investment involved. If you don't see that, you have issues. If the kid has no straps on his finances, or his parents will buy, go for it. If they (parents) make the 16 year old pay, well, how many 16 year olds can afford a Storm and the monthy plans????
    Um, I do have issues, but my issues are with people telling other people things like "go buy a prepaid RAZR because you're too young", etc....

The 'financial investment involved' is a Christmas present from his parents. Neither you or I know anything after that. Maybe he is already on a family pla with his parents. Maybe his incremental cost per month will only be $30 for BIS. Maybe he already has a data plan so there is no incremental cost at all. Maybe a lot of things. But I don't know that and neither does anyone else. My point is that this device does a lot of things, things that anyone might be interested in. This guy came to this BB forum to ask a question, and to be told he is too young, etc. by people who don't know him or his stiuation is both presumptuous and rude - and it defeats the purpose of this forum which is to discuss BlackBerries, ask questions, offer help and support.....Not to pass personal judgement on a new user. I don't think his question was "Am I old enough for a Storm?"
    12-14-08 02:52 PM
    xTMEx - BB are very business oriented, that said, I think the reviews support the Storm as BB attempt to create a more consumer, iPhone - competitor.

I am not a BB user yet, but I will be soon.

A couple of things to consider...

I have been comparing the Storm, the Samsung Omnia, the LG Dare, the BB Curve, and the the iPhone... Still trying to decide if I want a pure touch screen phone.

iPhone is out - I am a somewhat loyal Verizon customer... (i.e. free minutes to extended family.)

The 20 minutes or so of use time on the Storm vs. Omnia (demos at store), makes me think more about the Omnia. I just did not care for the touch screen action of the Storm, and was very impressed with the Omnia. It's touch screen and tactile feedback

But something you may need to consider, if you have not already - $30 more per month for either the Storm or Omnia; Verzion requires the data plan for both of these "Smart" phones. So it is the gift that keeps on costing :-) If you are going to do a lot of email and web browsing, either one of these will work well.

The LG Dare, does NOT require (as I understand) the additional $30 data plan.

If all you are looking for a handheld toy/music player with cool games (which is something I am looking for in addition to my phone), I might suggest getting the iPod Touch - it will do web broadband if available as well, and keep your existing phone.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by dmbtjclark; 12-14-08 at 05:31 PM.
    12-14-08 05:17 PM
    I am 16 years old and I am asking for the Storm for x-mas and this will basically be my only gift since it will cost 500.00 because i am not eligible for an upgrade. So I know ill get mixed reviews but Im curious to hear your guys thoughts. thanks

Yep!! And it is only getting better!

Reading some of the threads pertaining to this in the storm section can get more of a likes and dislikes poll!
    12-17-08 04:12 AM
    No don't get one. The Storm is a great phone but its not worth $500.

$500 can get you a lot of sweet stuff.

Wait until you're up for an upgrade and grab the Storm...or whatever new flavor of the month just so happens to be at that time.
    12-17-08 08:21 AM
    Get a Curve.
    12-17-08 05:51 PM
    If you really need a phone to do what balckberrys do best, the storm may not be the phone for you. However, at 16 media and internet are probably more important. I think at 16 I would have been much happier with the iPhone. Also, it may be cheaper to break your contract and sign up for new service with an iPhone.
    12-17-08 05:56 PM
    I've only had my curve for about 4 months and think the storm is a little sketchy
    12-17-08 06:12 PM
    It just depends on what you want the phone for. A Blackberry would be good for like everyone else said, business and email type things. If your looking for media or internet, you might want to look at the iphone or some of the other touchscreen verizon and att provide.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-08 06:18 PM
    Get a Curve.
    Exactly, I returned two Storms before getting a Curve. I was coming from a MOTOQ though, so both were light years ahead.

It just depends on what you want the phone for. A Blackberry would be good for like everyone else said, business and email type things. If your looking for media or internet, you might want to look at the iphone or some of the other touchscreen verizon and att provide.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The Storm was better at surfing the web, and I never store music/movies on my phone either. 95% of my usage is text/email and the other 5% is internet/pics. The Storm auto-rotate feature sucks, didn't work all the time for either phone I had, and typing was much slower, even with practice. Getting to contacts wasn't as easy either, and if you have to hold the phone up to your ear you accidentally hit buttons.

It has a lot of bling factor (the storm), but for pure functionality the Curve is better IMO.
    12-17-08 06:56 PM
    If you are a tech junkie like the rest of us ... you will love the Storm. After a bot of a learning curve, you will be flying through the features of the phone like a pro.

Unwrap it on Christmas morning, and have a blast.
    12-17-08 09:40 PM
    Tech junkie's might like it. I had two that didn't work like they should have, even right there in front of the Verizon rep. Even took video of the POS auto rotate not working, over....and over.....and over.

Ah well, it's still a BB so I can't hate on it too much. I guess it's all in what you do. I have 2 laptops at home and 1 at work, so the need to browse internet is almost non-existent with my phone. I also have an Itouch for music/mobile video, so no need for that either.

The Curve is where it's at.
    12-17-08 10:17 PM
    Good people, duh, RIM cannot keep up with Storm demand in North America ! Go for it ! Be prepared to learn new things.
    Flash: Storm does NOT have a thought entry channel. When Vlingo becomes available for the Storm, it will blow people away, and getting one will become even more difficult.
    12-20-08 09:24 PM
    I love my storm, go in to the store and try it out. It is for somepeople but for the others try a bold, etc.
    12-20-08 09:53 PM
    The only reason I didn't get the Dare was for e-mail and business contact purposes. I've only just recently found the necessity in having a device that can perform these sorts of functions (getting out of college and into the corporate world).

If you like the Storm and it's what you want, then go for it. It's only going to get better with the updates that come out. However, I think you would be very, VERY happy with the Dare as touch-screen multimedia device. It surfs the web, it's got a great touch screen, it's small, light, and practical. Plus it just went down in price so it will weigh less on your parents' wallet given the current state of the economy.

That being said, I love my Storm and would recommend it to anyone who needs an e-mail/web intensive device.
    12-20-08 11:26 PM
    the best advice I can give you is to go play with one first, I personally don't like the touch screen here again that is just my personal feeling, but the smartest thing that can be done with a blackberry is to get a case for it no matter how old (or young) you are it will get dropped and you never want to let your new baby get scratched cracked or dented, (learned this one the hard way tear)
    12-22-08 03:45 PM
    personally i dont like it, i played with it for a while today and found it to be very slow and annoying to use, and yes, it was upgraded to the latest firmware. i grew impatient and gave it back, so personally, no i dont think its worth it
    12-23-08 01:51 AM
    So.......Did you get it????
    12-25-08 11:22 AM
    Hi bro, sorry about the bad english (im spanish guy), i will recommend you a Bold or a Javelin, these two are more comfortable than the storm, believe me, you will get upset faster with a storm than a 9000 or a 8900. Its trough my personal experience that i can say soo. If you get the chance to choose, go for the bold or javelin.
    12-25-08 01:46 PM
    i dont believe it is atm. maybe 2nd generation storm but certainly not this one. go with bold or 8900. 8900 coming to us in feb/mar 09 for tmobile
    12-25-08 05:30 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD