I am 16 years old and I am asking for the Storm for x-mas and this will basically be my only gift since it will cost 500.00 because i am not eligible for an upgrade. So I know ill get mixed reviews but Im curious to hear your guys thoughts. thanks
    12-11-08 01:18 PM
    Hey if you can get it why not? After all, its not what you get as long as its a BB. :-)
    12-11-08 01:20 PM
    But I dont wanna get something that I wont enjoy after a week.
    12-11-08 01:22 PM
    But I dont wanna get something that I wont enjoy after a week.
    Try it first. You might not like it in its current state.
    12-11-08 01:39 PM
    Weither you like it or not will be entirely up to you. If just depends on what you are goin to use the phone for. The phone makes for a good Media Player, and has the ability to playback movies and such.

Being that you are 16, I very doubt that you are going to be using the storm for Business purposes, which IMO is what blackberrys are more designed for.

So I guess the next question is, what exactly are you looking for in the storm, and what's going to be your primary purpose of use?
    12-11-08 01:40 PM
    Go to a Verizon store and try one out.

Man, I don't think I've every received a Christmas present from family that cost more than $40. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if somebody bought me something that was $500!!
    12-11-08 01:46 PM
    You are 16. You will LOVE it! I would have killed for this phone at 16! I would have killed for this phone at 37! (I'm 38 btw)
    12-11-08 02:20 PM
    If all you want is the fancy touch screen the clicks, stick with the LG Dare. The Storm is a good phone but if you only want basic things that cheaper phones provide you should stick with them. It would be a shame to spend 500.00 on something tht will keep your attention for 15 minutes then start looking to the next shiny toy......but now I'm describing half of the population!! Including me!
    12-11-08 02:21 PM
    Don't get it. First of all, you are looking more for media and internet, which the iphone (or Ipod Touch) does much better. The Storm as a phone is not that great; many have complained about the quality of calls on the device.

Don't take this the wrong way, but a Blackberry is not the device for a 16 year old; they excel at email and more of a business type user. To even use the internet on it, you will need to sign up for a data plan since there is no wi-fi.

In my opinion, have your parents get you something else.
    12-11-08 03:22 PM
    Yes, its worth it. I believe that was the question. Not "am I old enough for a blackberry"
    If I had my choice at 16, I would want the storm. Verizons speeds are consistantly faster than even AT&T's 3G. So why bother with an iphone because of its media orientation when it takes a year for a web page to load. Good luck with your new phone bro.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 04:32 PM
    Verizons speeds are consistantly faster than even AT&T's 3G.
    Let's not start this again please.
    12-11-08 04:38 PM
    Wether you like it or not is up to you...is it the newest, coolest gadget...sure. But, alot of blackberry's features are business specific.. so .? up to you .. try it out first
    12-11-08 10:19 PM
    When I was 16 and wanted a portable phone dad gave me a couple of tin cans with a string in between.
    12-11-08 11:40 PM
    My portable phone at 16 was a 45 lb. briefcase with a hardline wiring coming out of it to an old school rotary handset.

$500? I thought we were in a recession...
    12-12-08 01:10 AM
    I got my first bb ib college when I was communicating with email a lot. Now I am in aw school and have the storm. Not gonna lie, I really do love it, not to say there aren't problems with the phone. Still use email all the time, so its good for that, and the internet is mad fast, and bbm is always a plus. But I doubt to many of your friends have bbs, so messenger is out for you, and don't take this the wrong way, but you are still in high school and when I went it would have been difficult to take advantage of a device like this because the time was not my own and they were not permitted. The call quality on this device is sub par, the other person is distorted, and I assume what you are really after, media, quickly drains the battery. While it is always nice to have another bb user, I would recommend against it. I would ask for an iPod touch and/or something else.

12-12-08 01:31 AM
    no way dude, you are waaaaay to young for a blackberry..get a pre paid razor..lol
    12-12-08 01:35 AM
    I suggest you make a list of what is important to have/what you want and what isn't/don't think is that important. Go from there and compare different phones, their capibilities and reliability. You might be surprised at what you may end up with. A $500 phone (would not happen in my house at age 16) isn't worth it if something else delivers the goods at a lower cost. I would say don't get one just for the sake of having one. I just got my first BB about 7 months ago. When I went into the V-store, I had a list of what I wanted to do and ended up with the Curve 8330 and am very happy with it... at least for now!!! Good luck on your decision!!!
    12-12-08 08:11 PM
    So much ageism on here? Are people jealous that this technology wasn't available to them when they were 16 and so no 16 y.o.'s now should have it?? Please!
    -Do 16 y.o.'s talk on the phone? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s email? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s text? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s MMS? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s want MP3 players? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s drive, and maybe could use navigation? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s surf the web? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s use Facebook? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s use Instant Messengers? YES
    -Do 16 y.o.'s use their phones to take pictures? YES

My point - if you haven't figured it out already - is that 16 is clearly not "too young" for a smartphone of any kind at all. Suggesting a prepaid razr is just condescending. We should treat other forum users with respect, no?

My advice is like Rollingbones said - make a list of what features are important to you and then decide if you really want this phone and can put up with a buggy software that will definitely me fixed over time. Weigh the pros and cons dude! Good luck - and Merry Christmas!
    12-13-08 04:51 PM
    When I was 16 the big deal was pagers- lol. I think the Storm would be a great phone for the younger crowd- it hits the "cool factor" so you will probably have more patience then I had with it. For me, the constant reset among other things made me want to throw it so instead of ruining a expensive phone I went back to the Curve.
    12-13-08 07:21 PM
    When I was 16 Cell phones came in bags and no one had them because they costs thousands. Actually my Dad had one of those bag phones, mostly he used it in the car, but he could take it around with him IF he wanted to lug it. There was no internet either BUT I did have a PC (Apple II) which I used to connect to BBS systems all text based. Ah those were the days.
    12-13-08 08:55 PM
    When my kids are old enough for cell phones they are buying them on their own. Therefor they will get what they can afford. If they can afford the storm and that is what they want that is what they will get. I am not paying for their data plans either.
    12-13-08 10:14 PM
    I am 16 years old and I am asking for the Storm for x-mas and this will basically be my only gift since it will cost 500.00 because i am not eligible for an upgrade. So I know ill get mixed reviews but Im curious to hear your guys thoughts. thanks
    I gotta tell ya - mixed reviews and all... I LOVE MY STORM! I love everything Blackberry, but the Storm is by far my favorite. And, I have not had the problems other have experienced. I got mine on the 8th and have been going 110% with it since. It stepped right up to the plate and replaced my Curve without missing a single beat...

GO FOR IT!
    12-13-08 10:46 PM
    When I was 16 Cell phones came in bags and no one had them because they costs thousands. Actually my Dad had one of those bag phones, mostly he used it in the car, but he could take it around with him IF he wanted to lug it. There was no internet either BUT I did have a PC (Apple II) which I used to connect to BBS systems all text based. Ah those were the days.
    My mom had a bag phone and I got in BIG trouble for making a 30 min phone call on it- lol.
    12-13-08 10:58 PM
    I got my first bb ib college when I was communicating with email a lot. Now I am in aw school and have the storm. Not gonna lie, I really do love it, not to say there aren't problems with the phone. Still use email all the time, so its good for that, and the internet is mad fast, and bbm is always a plus. But I doubt to many of your friends have bbs, so messenger is out for you, and don't take this the wrong way, but you are still in high school and when I went it would have been difficult to take advantage of a device like this because the time was not my own and they were not permitted. The call quality on this device is sub par, the other person is distorted, and I assume what you are really after, media, quickly drains the battery. While it is always nice to have another bb user, I would recommend against it. I would ask for an iPod touch and/or something else.

Thats a great quote, and I agree. I know RIM is looking for the younger users, but if you want a Storm, Bold or even a Curve with no limit on data consumption you wil be paying at least a $110 p/month. I am 32 and can afford it now, but when I was 16 I bagged groceries...a far cry from my job now. Stick with a "dumb" phone with a touch screen and music capabilities.
    12-13-08 11:05 PM
    My boyfriend got me a Storm for Christmas, and I love it. After playing around with it for a couple of days, it was super easy to use and great. Texting is simple on it, especially with the landscape view. I think you will like it. Just make sure you get insurance on that 500 dollar phone!!!! Trust me, six bucks a month is WORTH IT
    12-13-08 11:07 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD