How do you turn off the Password protection on the Storm. The Options/Password shows "Enabled" but doesn't allow you to turn it off. It keeps bringing up "Password Change".
    02-05-09 03:44 PM
    Are you connected to a BES? It's possible that you have IT policy on your device that requires a password to be set.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 04:20 PM
    Thnx. My BES admin just had me disable Memory protection and I was able to now turn off Password protection.
    02-05-09 04:50 PM
    what if youre not set up in a BES?
    05-13-09 05:22 PM
    Hi, what are the steps to "disable Memory protection"? Is it in Options > Memory > ???
    05-13-09 05:29 PM
    What is BES? What are IT policies on berry's? Are they similar to gpo's in a server environment, or permissions on a host?
    05-13-09 07:30 PM
    BES is enterprise server, or through a business. An IT department can put a policy on the phone that allows or disables certain features.

On BIS (personal) go to Options > Password > and choose disabled
    05-13-09 11:20 PM
    Recently had a bb curve, now i have the storm. i have enabled a password - when i had the bb curve with the password enabled, and locked my device, and clicked it again (within the password time limit), i wouldn't have to type in my pw; with the storm (and pw enabled), i lock it, but clicking that button again (within the pw time limit), it requires a pw. can i change this feature?
    06-16-09 05:58 PM
    I found this information on one of the other fifty or so threads on this topic and thought I would share the wealth.

Go to: Options/Memory. Turn off Memory card support.
    Save.
    Exit back to Options.
    Go to Password.
    The tab should now be selectable to disable the password.
    Click disable.
    Save.
    Exit back to Options.
    Click on Memory.
    Select Memory card support "on".
    Save.
    You will now be prompted to enter the password for the final time in your life!
    Exit back to the main screen and try it out, lock unlock, no password!!!

Have a beer.

Thanks to all of the hard-working crack-addicts who were born with the ability to type this information for us to find here.
    11-27-09 10:44 PM
    How do you turn off the Password protection on the Storm. The Options/Password shows "Enabled" but doesn't allow you to turn it off. It keeps bringing up "Password Change".
    I am looking myself. nothing works!
    08-01-10 04:45 PM
    I found this information on one of the other fifty or so threads on this topic and thought I would share the wealth.

Go to: Options/Memory. Turn off Memory card support.
    Save.
    Exit back to Options.
    Go to Password.
    The tab should now be selectable to disable the password.
    Click disable.
    Save.
    Exit back to Options.
    Click on Memory.
    Select Memory card support "on".
    Save.
    You will now be prompted to enter the password for the final time in your life!
    Exit back to the main screen and try it out, lock unlock, no password!!!

Have a beer.

Thanks to all of the hard-working crack-addicts who were born with the ability to type this information for us to find here.

this process is bogus. Never worked. Tried on mutiple units.
    08-01-10 04:48 PM
    First off, if you're on a BES, then there's a very good chance that an IT policy is in place that simply won't allow you to disable the PW option. Also, if you bought a used BB that has ever had a BES IT policy requiring the use of a PW, then it will this setting will remain unless you do a FULL wipe (reset to factory).

To answer one of the questions above, yes, IT policies are a lot like domain GPOs in a server/host computer environment.
    08-01-10 05:04 PM
    For everyone wondering how to turn off encryption, here you go.
    Taken from this website. Securing Your BlackBerry

Note: In order to encrypt files using the BlackBerry smartphone password, verify that the password is set before you begin the steps below.

On the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, click Options.
    Click Media Card or click Advanced Options > Media Card (depending on the BlackBerry Device Software version that is installed on the BlackBerry smartphone).
    Use one of the following methods to encrypt files:
    To encrypt files using an encryption key for a media card generated by the BlackBerry smartphone, set the Encryption Mode field to Device.
    To encrypt files using the BlackBerry smartphone password, set the Encryption Mode field to Security Password.
    To encrypt files using an encryption key for a media card and the BlackBerry smartphone password, set the Encryption Mode field to Security Password & Device.
    Note: To turn off encryption for a media card, set the Encryption Mode field to None.

To encrypt media files such as videos, ring tones, pictures, and songs on the media card, set Encrypt Media Files to Yes.
    Press the Menu key.
    Click Save.
    08-01-10 06:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD