I'm buying a BB this week and I've been reading up mostly on the Pearl and Storm.

I'm 17 and will pretty much be using the phone to text/IM and some calling. The Storm looks pretty sick, but I'm not sure if maybe its to much since I don't plan on getting internet on my plan. Is there still lots to do on the Storm without internet? Or should I just stick with the more basic phone (Pearl).

Any other information is welcomed. I'm going to look and play around tomorrow at a few phones and will definetly try and play with a Storm.

Thanks
    04-20-09 06:29 PM
    You have to have a data plan with a BB on Verizon. The capabilities between the phones are about the same other than speed and memory.
    04-20-09 06:31 PM
    It's a fun phone, but couldn't you look into a phone with wifi capabilities so that the lack of a data plan wouldn't render your bb data-less (you get what I'm saying..). What other bbs does your service provider offer (8900 or Bold?)?
    04-20-09 06:31 PM
    well playing with them is the best idea.. play with them for a while, especially the storm to see if you can see yourself texting with with it constantly. a lot of people say that it is a pain to do any kind of messaging without typo's.. but check them both out and see which you like best
    04-20-09 06:32 PM
    Ok well first off. Thank you for the quick responses, wasn't expecting any for a few hours.

I'm probably gonna go through Telus. I'll check out Verizon. So I'm guessing Storm's aren't WiFi capable? And if they are or I get a different phone, I won't get charged for going through my own internet?
    04-20-09 06:41 PM
    Wifi is free (as long as you have access to it). And no, the Storm does not have wifi (yet - the Storm 2 is on it's way (I think..)).
    04-20-09 07:05 PM
    It makes no sense to get a Storm without a data plan. Forget about him until you get older and the money means less and less to you!

Doctor Neutron
    04-20-09 09:53 PM
    It makes no sense to get a Storm without a data plan.
    +1

If you can't afford or don't want to spend they money for a data plan I wouldn't get the Storm. But keep in mind you may think you won't use the browser at all until you actually get the phone.. its strangely addicting.
    04-20-09 10:28 PM
    yes it is i want a pipboy theme
    04-20-09 11:51 PM
    Why aren't you considering a Curve? It's in the middle, between a Pearl and Storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-09 12:03 AM
    Curve or Bold. I have a bold and its great, but if you go for a curve make sure it has wi-fi. Also are you in the USA??? Don't data plans cost peanuts there??? I'm in Canada and they kill us with data plan charges.
    04-21-09 12:08 AM
    I know I wouldn't buy it at that price...
    04-21-09 12:44 AM
    Sounds like the OP is a Canuck! So his providers are Telus, Bell (both CDMA), and Rogers & Fido (both GSM). For Telus & Bell your best choices are the Storm, Pearl Flip, or Curve 8330. They don't have wifi thou, BUT all have only 3G (EVDO) BBs (unless you get like a super old model). However if you go to Rogers you can get either the Bold, Curve 8900, or Pearl Flip, which ALL have wifi, BUT only the Bold has 3G. Many actually prefer the Curve 8900 for it's form factor (more compact) and it's generous app memory.

EDIT: I should also point out that it may be best avoiding Fido, all they have is the OLD Pearl 8100, and it does not have 3G or wifi. For GSM BB goodness in Canada you need to go Rogers.
    Last edited by pkcable; 04-21-09 at 01:20 PM.
    04-21-09 01:01 PM
    I'm a once Rogers bold, now Rogers 8900 user myself. If you're not even going to be using the 3G then get the wifi. Personally the extra memory, extra battery life, and REALLY sharp screen makes it worth it. I have to say one thing though, the Bold is not THAT big. It's not like the 8900 is a pencil whereas the Bold is a brick. It's a little bit bigger, but I don't see the reason for fuss.
    04-21-09 01:15 PM
    i am going to play the devils advocate here..

why get a bb at all?
    04-21-09 01:50 PM
    You should also take a look at the curve, this phone is my Ffvorite by far the keyboard is a great option.
    04-21-09 03:55 PM
    I was actually thinking the same.. I mean, you're young, you want a toy, no? Like you're obviously not here for the data services. Have you looked into the iphone? Into the N95-8gb? Like blackberries are great (I LOVE mine), but if you're not going to use the features then why purchase one?

I'm just saying don't TIE yourself to the idea of getting a blackberry, at least not until you're considering a data plan and a greater need for one.
    04-21-09 04:29 PM
    i love the LG's they rock as a texting phone and the voyager has a touch screen and a physical keyboard - almost better then the bb IMO because there are dedicated number and a few symbols that the bb's dont have. screen is somewhat bigger too.
    04-21-09 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD