BlackBerry Storm 9570 Canceled for all Carriers? ~ BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews

It was just a few weeks ago that the rumored Storm2 refresh had been confirmed to exist. Then news broke that Verizon no longer intended to carry the Storm 9570. However, it may not have been entirely Verizon's doing.

Our source tells us this is what he was told:

"Thank you for your hard work and diligence in preparing your application to support the upcoming hardware refresh of the BlackBerry Storm2 smartphone (model number 9570, codename R027). Regrettably, RIM has decided not to pursue this device further and has ended the program.

However, rest assured that you will have the opportunity to leverage the work you�ve put in thus far in preparing for the new OS, as BlackBerry 6 will be making its way to more Verizon products in the near future, including the BlackBerry Bold 9650 and the BlackBerry Curve 9330"

So it seems that RIM has completely killed the Storm2 refresh. The 9570 seemed like it was just an option for Verizon. Verizon basically just wants a 3G/4G LTE capable touchscreen BlackBerry. It also wouldn't surprise us if the Storm series is laid to rest. Perhaps, we may see a 'miniplaybook' type of device hit Verizon in place of another Storm device.

The entire Storm series was a bit of a flop and in our opinion the Storm 9570 would have only added to the travesty. So, it isn"t too far from our minds that RIM could either be finished with Storms or be working on one that will make people take another look at the series. Nevertheless, we are excited to see what other touchscreen devices bundled with the QNX operating system may be in store for the future.

via BBLeaks
    10-07-10 08:49 PM
    Cracks me up that a few nerd bloggers can speak for everyone. Flop? Travesty? Lol. Look, RIM threw it out there, made a business decision to pull it. ** hum, happens all the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-10 09:46 PM
    OR....maybe they've just stepped up the Storm 3 production and it will be released sooner than we all expected.

OR RIM got a Crackberry account, logged in and read all the negative comments about it. Decided it would be a flop and said **** it.

OR they've found it would be cheaper and easier to not put money into hardware but instead,slim down OS 6 to run on older phones. OS 6 Mini.
    The way I see it is that it is more profitable to have it available on ALL or MOST phones...than just two or three.

10-07-10 09:52 PM
    There's already another thread about this.
    10-07-10 09:53 PM
    would have been nice if sprint got it.
    10-08-10 04:23 AM
    Cracks me up that a few nerd bloggers can speak for everyone. Flop? Travesty? Lol. Look, RIM threw it out there, made a business decision to pull it. ** hum, happens all the time.

OK, why did they pull it then? Because yes, it would have flopped.
    10-08-10 05:17 AM
    OK, why did they pull it then? Because yes, it would have flopped.
    I think it was a bridge, buying time, lowering expectations for the S3 (or whatever it'll be called) launch. Marketing job. Didn't cost much to dress up a S2, slap a limited version of OS6 on it and keep the focus away from S3. I think surprise announcements are going to be the norm.
    10-08-10 11:12 AM

Storm wasn't an overwhelming success. RIM threw it out there, VZW rejected it, RIM scrapped it.
    10-08-10 11:19 AM
    I have read a lot of posts in various threads on Crackberry about the Storm series not being successful. Is there any concrete documentation from RIM or Verizon stating this? Have there been actual numbers posted that can substantiate the many threads that claim the Storm series was a flop?

It seems to me a lot of these posts about the Storm being a flop is more opinion than fact. There are plenty of people who love their Storm (I'm one of them) and there are plenty of people who hate it. To each their own...different strokes for different folks. I subscribe to a lot of the technology newsfeeds and have yet to come across any articles or press releases that state Verizon cancelled the Storm or RIM cancelled the Storm because it wasn't selling well or "insert opinion here". The cold hard facts may be out there, I just haven't seen it as of yet.

The point I am trying to get at is it couldn't have been that bad of a seller if two years later the device is still available for purchase. If it were such a bad seller from the start, I would have thought, it would have been discontinued long before the 9550 came to be. Why sell something that isn't selling well? Verizon is in the business to make money, right? If the Storm wasn't selling well enough to make them money, would they have continued to sell it? I don't know the answers to those questions but I often wonder.

Anyway, my post is not to offend anyone just looking for some facts to go with the many opinions.
    Last edited by TEP; 10-08-10 at 12:56 PM.
    10-08-10 12:51 PM
    It couldn't be that great if Verizon decided not to offer it.
    10-08-10 12:58 PM
    It couldn't be that great if Verizon decided not to offer it.
    I could have sworn you used to have at 9550 in your tagline at one some point in time.

Anyway, back to the topic, I haven't read anything that states Verizon refused to offer it. I have read something that RIM decided to not offer it. RIM refusing to not offer it could have many reasons behind it such as it not selling well or something is coming that blows it out of the water. Who knows for sure except for RIM and Verizon.
    10-08-10 01:06 PM
    I could have sworn you used to have at 9550 in your tagline at one some point in time.

Anyway, back to the topic, I haven't read anything that states Verizon refused to offer it. I have read something that RIM decided to not offer it. RIM refusing to not offer it could have many reasons behind it such as it not selling well or something is coming that blows it out of the water. Who knows for sure except for RIM and Verizon.
    Yep, I had both 9530 & 9550.

Verizon BlackBerry Storm 3 (9570): Are You Disappointed with Cancellation? � Phone Reviews

Verizon scoop extravaganza: Motorola Venus with portrait QWERTY, Stingray LTE tablet, and more? -- Engadget
    10-08-10 01:08 PM
    I have read a lot of posts in various threads on Crackberry about the Storm series not being successful. Is there any concrete documentation from RIM or Verizon stating this? Have there been actual numbers posted that can substantiate the many threads that claim the Storm series was a flop?

It seems to me a lot of these posts about the Storm being a flop is more opinion than fact. There are plenty of people who love their Storm (I'm one of them) and there are plenty of people who hate it. To each their own...different strokes for different folks. I subscribe to a lot of the technology newsfeeds and have yet to come across any articles or press releases that state Verizon cancelled the Storm or RIM cancelled the Storm because it wasn't selling well or "insert opinion here". The cold hard facts may be out there, I just haven't seen it as of yet.

The point I am trying to get at is it couldn't have been that bad of a seller if two years later the device is still available for purchase. If it were such a bad seller from the start, I would have thought, it would have been discontinued long before the 9550 came to be. Why sell something that isn't selling well? Verizon is in the business to make money, right? If the Storm wasn't selling well enough to make them money, would they have continued to sell it? I don't know the answers to those questions but I often wonder.

Anyway, my post is not to offend anyone just looking for some facts to go with the many opinions.
    There is more to the word "flop" than just hard numbers. I'm sure that the original Storm would probably be considered a success if you just look at the numbers (remember the lines outside of VZW the morning of it's release?). Unfortunately, the phone was a poorly designed buggy piece of junk (Remember OS 4.7.0.65?). Uneven clicks, sticky screens, dust under the screen. People were actually placing things like business cards and dimes (yes, dimes!) under the battery door to help with the clicking! It was slow, the accerometer barely worked, didn't have flick scrolling, etc. Along comes the Storm 2. Clearly a better device (although I could argue all day about how much better. ), but it didn't matter because the Storm name had been forever poisoned by the debacle of the first generation. VZW basically ignored the Storm 2, and jumped in bed with Android. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"

So if you look past hard sales numbers, it's clear that the Storm series was a complete flop. If RIM is serious about this new (so far fictional) Storm 3 (or 4, or whatever number they choose), they should look into changing the name because very few people take the name "Storm" very seriously anymore when it comes to smartphones.
    10-08-10 01:18 PM
    Thanks for the links. I actually did read the one from Engadget the day it was released. None of these links state the reason for cancellation was due to poor sales. They state it was a result of the new device (refresh) being too close to the existing device (9550). I agree that the two (refresh and 9550) were similar. I had no intention on wasting my NE2 on a refresh. I am waiting until January to see what BlackBerry's will be offered as part of their LTE network.

10-08-10 01:35 PM
    Thanks for the links. I actually did read the one from Engadget the day it was released. None of these links state the reason for cancellation was due to poor sales. They state it was a result of the new device (refresh) being too close to the existing device (9550). I agree that the two (refresh and 9550) were similar. I had no intention on wasting my NE2 on a refresh. I am waiting until January to see what BlackBerry's will be offered as part of their LTE network.

I didn't say they rejected it because of sales volume either, I said Storm/S2 wasn't an "overwhelming success". 9570 just wasn't enough of an upgrade to get a thumbs up. I surely wouldn't have gotten a 9570.
    10-08-10 01:42 PM
    I had both a S1 and S2. Loved them both. My wife has a Storm and you will have to pry it from her hands. I'll be giving my S2 to my daughter.
    I use a DX because I wanted a better browser and a bigger screen.
    11-23-10 02:55 PM
    I think none of you really know what the f*ck is happening at BB and Verizon. You all talk a great talk but no one knows if your just full of sh*t. I have a Storm and love it! I think anyone who would use that tiny screen most BBs have is foolish when there are so many other phones on the marked with a bigger screen. Where is my Storm 3?
    12-15-10 04:27 PM
    I think none of you really know what the f*ck is happening at BB and Verizon. You all talk a great talk but no one knows if your just full of sh*t. I have a Storm and love it! I think anyone who would use that tiny screen most BBs have is foolish when there are so many other phones on the marked with a bigger screen. Where is my Storm 3?
    You are saying that we all don't know what we are talking about when it comes to VZW and BB... and you're right, its all just speculation, except that is was actually proven that the S2-refresh (or 9570) was scrapped by VZW along with RIM... that's just fact.
    But you continue to ask "where is my Storm 3" .. how would we know if we truly know nothing?

I have an S2... and its a good phone, but its slow and definitely not up to par, spec wise, with most other smartphones on the market... the operating system and UI are ancient-looking, and the phone is way to slow and underpowered for what it should be capable of doing.

I really really want an S3 too.. and like you, really don't know who to believe when it comes to rumors, we just have to wait until CES or a statement from RIM's CEO and/or Verizon...
    12-15-10 04:35 PM

Well in my experience...it was junk, I was so frustrated with it not working I called VZW and asked them to give me a regular phone because I was done with Smartphones. They gave me a new Tour free....not refurbished brand new. Every time I went into the store there were people in there with Storm problems.

Also the oly people I know that have storms are ones that are to timid to call and ***** about them or just accept it's lack of consistant operation as a price for technology.

For those that love it, god bless! When it stops being in production I will miss it like the K-car
    01-07-11 07:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD