Guadalajara was billed as the next meca for electronic manufacturing for North America. Unfortunately, a lot of the factories were not up to standards or the prices for labor became too high and production was then moved to China. The Thinkpad is a classic example of this, I remember going to a training class where there were a lot of folks from our Guadalajara manufacturing facility. Two weeks after the training, the facility was moved to China (we were then using Lenovo to build them, who we eventually sold the division to). I talked with one of the managers from the training after the factory was shut down, he explained the issues were more labor rate related than anything.

Whenever, wherever a factory is closed, it has an impact to the folks who depended on that factory for employment. Is it cheaper to make the Storm in Mexico compared to Canada? A lot of things play into that beyond the rate of the employee manufacturing the device. NAFTA helps, but my curve is made in Hungary outside of NAFTA, so something else had to bring that to fruition. Something tells me bottom line cost.
    12-02-08 02:08 PM
    Bottom line is that you would have to be able to prove that non-Canada made blackberries have a significantly higher defect rate, otherwise this is all pointless.

Good luck with that as that is a ton of work and I'm not talking about putting up a poll on the crackberry forums being a valid sample...

Even if you did manage to prove it, what does that buy you? At the most you could try to return yours to a store to get a Canada made one, which is just as easy (or difficult) to do even if you didn't bother proving it in the first place.
    12-02-08 02:22 PM
    To; cp1224

You only wish you knew as much as Sara Palin. What elected office do you hold???
    12-02-08 04:33 PM
    My Storm was made in Mexico as was my 8130 Pearl. Not a problem with either so far and I would not expect any. The Pearl is built very solidly and the Storm seems the same.
    12-02-08 05:50 PM
    I'd rather have my Blackberry assembled here than in Mexico but that's just me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-08 02:53 AM
    I dont care where its made, as long as its a quality product. Because they can still make a piece of crap out of reputible countrys. It depends on the factory.
    12-04-08 12:30 AM
    type "highest quality car plant in mexico" into google

makes me feel absolutely fine
    12-04-08 01:36 AM
    We can see what unions (at the very least they are part of it and if you deny it you're either blind or just in denial) have done to the auto industry.
    Yeah, non-white collar workers making a good wage and getting decent health care and pensions. How radical.
    12-04-08 01:54 AM
    To; cp1224

You only wish you knew as much as Sara Palin. What elected office do you hold???

I hold no "elected office<sic>" and I still knew before she did that her trips and gifts needed to be listed on federal disclosure reports.

She apparently just found out.
    12-04-08 01:58 AM
    what difference does it really make? if there was a widespread failure of those units then maybe you have a real issue to complain about the country of origin.

but it seems like they all work and function the same. nothing to trip about. as long as they work right?
    12-05-08 03:54 PM
    Does anyone realize the STORM is made in Mexico? I didn't until my husband just had a payload of 30,000 lbs of them on his plane from Guadalahara to Memphis.
    I really don't think it's a shock or anyone is surprised about where BBs are manufactured. .
    Wherever BBs are manufactured, I believe that RIM will ensure that the devices are quality products

For the other poster:
    Especially if made here in the US

Last edited by Blacklatino; 12-06-08 at 07:52 PM.
    12-06-08 07:46 PM
    My first device was made in Mexico, and my replacement comes from Canada. Frankly, I think the replacement is the better unit. Now ... does the place of manufacture have anything to do with the experience I am having? No clue....

Just my opinion.
    12-08-08 10:50 PM
    Great info!
    11-05-09 05:37 PM
    Glad I read through this.
    1. My 9550 is a Mexico build. If the OP's husband flew it over last week let him know I appreciate him getting it here safely. Build quality is near-perfect. No button problems. No screen problems. No memory problems. It just works (and works and works). Viva la Mexico (or something);

2. To whomever asked "what elected office do you hold", I regret to inform you that Sarah Palin holds no elected office, since she scampered away from the Governor's mansion earlier this year. That was weird. Ethics complaints catching up to her?

/end political rant
    11-05-09 05:46 PM
    lol Sorta reminds me of where i work... I am in Canada and work for a American company. I get Americans who hang up on me because they believe American agents are better (which believe me, is SOOOO not the case) or when finding out that the call center is in Canada, want to disco their services because they say that Americans need jobs and the company has no business outsourcing to other countries. In the same breath, they'll complain about prices. Seriously, it's all about cheap outsourcing. Cheaper the outsourcing, the cheaper they can sell you their products... sure quality might take a hit but then again, that's a variable you face with any product, no matter what country it's made in.
    11-06-09 11:45 PM
    I work for a factory in Tuscaloosa, AL.

We make Mercedes Benz, the GL,M, and R classes. Most people criticize Mexican made parts and products, but I can assure you that most everything we touch that is made in Mexico, is great.

I had much rather install a part from Mexico, than I had one from Canada, or even Germany.
    Off topic, but how awesome; you live about 60 miles from me!

11-07-09 12:09 AM
    Mine says made in Hungary.
    11-07-09 12:56 PM
    Does anyone realise the STORM is made in Mexico? I didn't until my husband just had a payload of 30,000 lbs of them on his plane from Guadalahara to Memphis.

they took our jobs!
    theeey took eeerr jeewbbs!!
    dey tkkr jawwbs!
    der terk er jabs!
    der terk yer jab!
    der terh er jab!
    South Park is awesome!
    11-11-09 03:07 PM
    THE only thing America makes anymore is three things
    (and sorry for being blunt)

1) fat people
    2) whiners
    3) Honda/Toyota/Hyundai
    11-11-09 03:19 PM
    Absolutely right leftcoaster. Thanks to NAFTA, lots of stuff is made in Mexico. Of course, NAFTA involved the U.S., Canada and Mexico (see, I know something Sarah Palin doesn't---not hard) so either way BB was going to be the recipient of our bad deal with NAFTA.

I wonder how much the workers in Mexico make vs. the workers in Canada who are making BBs?
    News Flash to you - even without NAFTA they'd still be made in Mexico - actually probably China.

You guys who think the jobs would come to the US if it wasnt for NAFTA is insane. All nafta did was eliminate some tariffs, and it will help make US goods more affordable to mexicans and canadians and vice a versa. Protectionism doesn't work. One country will non susatin itself look at the USSR and Stalinism.

There's isn't one smartphone made in the US. And it's that way regardless of NAFTA.

And the naysayers against NAFTA are probably the same anti-immagration nut jobs.
    11-11-09 04:18 PM
    they took our jobs!
    theeey took eeerr jeewbbs!!
    dey tkkr jawwbs!
    der terk er jabs!
    der terk yer jab!
    der terh er jab!
    South Park is awesome!
    Lmao, that's exactly what I thought as I was reading this thread.
    11-11-09 05:44 PM
    What does it matter where it is made?
    Does it function?
    Does it do what you need it to do?
    If you can answer those three with "It Doesn't, Yes, and Yes", then move on. I can't believe this post has surpassed four pages. smh
    11-14-09 11:16 AM
    only thing thats truly made in the us anymore, is the toyota tacomas
    11-23-09 09:42 PM
    I don't get what the problem why it matters why It was made somewhere else. Stuffs made all around the world
    11-26-09 07:33 AM
    I work for a factory in Tuscaloosa, AL.

We make Mercedes Benz, the GL,M, and R classes. Most people criticize Mexican made parts and products, but I can assure you that most everything we touch that is made in Mexico, is great.

I had much rather install a part from Mexico, than I had one from Canada, or even Germany.
    God bless the Mercedes-Benz.
    11-26-09 07:38 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD