Storm GPS Software Options – Review

The following review is for GPS options on your Blackberry Storm. I will be going over the following applications: Blackberry Maps, Google Maps, and Garmin Mobile.

Note #1: I have omitted Verizon Navigator because it’s rumored to permanently lock out the Storms GPS on first run. Whether this information is correct or not, I do not wish to find out. In my opinion, $10 a month for what VZW Navigator offers is very overpriced. Consider this: One year of VZW Navigator is $120. At the end of that year, if you stop paying for VZW Navigator you end up with nothing. For $120 you can go buy a real GPS that has farm more features then VZW Navigator. Also, the real GPS does not need a cell connection, a phone/data plan [or any other service charges for that matter as GPS is free], and you are free to use your cell phone to make calls while navigating as they are separate entities altogether.

Note #2: My “Field” is Government/Military/Emergency Services. I use the GPS network extensively. IMO cell phone GPS is a backup navigation to be used when all other GPS options have been exhausted. It is impractical for driving use for obvious reasons. Also, the typical the GPS receiver in cell phones are not strong enough to be used indoors or underground which limits most directional pre-planning. Lastly, cell phones are not built as strong, water resistant, etc to be used in most outdoor recreational situations.

If you are in sales, work in a city, and do a lot of on foot cold calling then I can see where a cell GPS may be helpful. If you are a tourist traveling in an unfamiliar place on foot, it may come in handy. For most applications though, a cell GPS should be a backup to a primary Car/Outdoor GPS unit.

Note 3#: The Cell GPS’s has some major limitations! First off, for the most part cell GPS has to be able to receive two signals: 1) A GPS signal from the global network of satellites surrounding the earth. 2) A Cell data signal from a surrounding cell tower. This second signal is because most of the cell phone GPS software downloads maps “over the wire” from an online server. If you cannot get cell/data service in an area, your cell phone GPS is basically worthless, even if you have a clear view of the sky and can get GPS service.

I want to clear up two things first before going on to the software reviews. First, it is 99.9% probable your cell phone does not get its voice & data service from a satellite. I here this mistake made all the time. Unless you own a “satellite phone” (the smallest currently about the size of the old large brick style Nextels, but with a huge antenna attached), your cell phone connects to land based towers, NOT satellites orbiting the earth.

Second, the signal all GPS receivers receive is nothing more than the current time. I want to state that again… The GPS signal your Phone, Car, Portable, etc receives is nothing more than the current (very exact) time. The GPS system of satellites orbiting the earth are nothing more than giant atomic clocks with antennas. The GPS system does not send you maps, does not track your location, and is not two-way. Your device picks up several GPS satellites orbiting the earth and can tell your location based on time. Any GPS system that is two-way, such as ADT’s car monitoring, LO-Jack, etc use a combination of GPS and another service such as land based cell or in some cases a separate satellite. If you want to know more about how this works use the Google to search on the subject.

On to the review:

Blackberry Maps.

Pro’s:

-Free
    -Installed by default on Blackberries
    -Relatively quick map downloads (due to smaller resolution no frills map images.)

Con’s:

Worst map Image quality of the three GPS software packages reviewed.
    Limited mapping and routing functions
    Poor User Interface.

Blackberry maps is free and works as a basic no frills GPS, with basic point to point navigating. It does not have auto rerouting or a POI database. It can save favorites and allows you to set a home and work locations. When finding directions, you need to put both a start and end point. They have made the start point easier by putting in a “my location” option but it’s still an extra step over conventional GPS’s which just route from your current location in less you tell it otherwise. Location is fairly accurate and its shows you how many satellites are connected. Moderate lag in scrolling around the map depending on cell signal, because it downloads maps from an online service.

Google Maps.

Pro’s:

-Free
    -Full Featured
    -Many more (See review below)

Con’s:

-No way to see your check satellite connection status
    -Can be slow loading maps

Google maps is free as well and has a more options then blackberry maps. You can get satellite images, POI’s, street view, etc. I have found it faster to start then BB maps but slower to scroll around maps as there is more data to download then with BB maps. Keep this in mind if you have a limited data plan. I found on average Google maps was downloading 200k per ~10 miles of maps. If you scroll around a large area a lot you will find you have downloaded a MB of data very quickly. For those of us on an unlimited plan, it’s not a real worry.

One annoying thing I found was that it does not show how many satellites you are connected to or if you are even connected at all. The size of the accuracy ring is a good indication if you are connected, but I would like to see a connection status screen added. Google maps is more aesthetically pleasing the BB maps on all levels and looks more refined. You can also view satellite photos and current traffic information.

Like BB maps, you have to input both starting and ending locations with a “current location” option for the starting point. With Google maps however, the current location is default for the starting point which makes it easier then BB maps which requires you to pick that option every time you want directions. Google maps also has public transportation information including bus & train stops, times and fares.

The only thing I would like to see added is a better interface with more sleek icons (like Garmin maps reviewed below), a screen to check satellite connection, and weather.

For a free application, Google has done a great job. There are some things I would like to see refined, but overall this application is well worth the space on your phone even if you do not plan on using it as a day-to-day GPS.

Garmin Mobile

I have personally owned 7 different Garmin GPS units in my lifetime and currently own and use two. In my family, we have at least another 5 Garmin’s as well. With the acceptation of my built in car navigation, I only use Garmin’s. I have tried many other hand held & portable car GPS units and decided to stick with Garmin. For the purpose of this review however, I do not plan on going into the pro’s and con’s (yes there are both) of Garmin’s STAND ALONE GPS units. I state the above because I am about to bash GARMIN MOBILE, and I wanted to be clear this is a non-bias review.

Pro’s:

-Full Featured GPS
    -Weather
    -Sleek, well designed Interface
    -3d View

Con’s:

-Cost $80-$100 (Unknown if they will allow you to transfer license when you swap or upgrade your device)
    -Very buggy software.
    -Extremely slow loading maps.
    -Does not have satellite view or public transportation information.
    -May cause interference with other GPS applications on your phone.

Note: YOU CAN download a 3 day trial of this software BUT NOT directly from Garmin. If you use the link on Garmin’s site it will tell you your device is not compatible with the trial version, instead it says you need to buy the full version. I was able to get a trial from Handago and install it with Blackberry desktop software.

If you read the first half of my review, then you know my opinion of a cell phone GPS. Garmin has modeled their cell phone software after the look and functionality of their portable car GPS units. If you are familiar with the Garmin Nuvi series, then you will feel right at home with Garmin Mobile. The problem is that it does not have the same “street” functionality as the free Google maps. If Garmin mobile functioned correctly it would be at best, nothing more than a watered down car GPS navigation device.

However, Garmin Mobile does not function correctly. I found that as soon as I ran the application it had problems linking up with the device “validation” server. Without “validating” your serial number (or trial), you cannot run Garmin Maps. For whatever reason, the server must have been down for about an hour the day I installed the application trial. When it finally came back up (or Garmin mobile finally decided to connect) I was greeted with a nice looking interface and very sleek icons. The software seemed very refined visually and had many of the features my stand alone Garmin’s have. The start screen is very well set up with the options you need very accessible. Unfortunately, even after a day of testing the weather feature still does not work (will not connect to the weather server). If you lose cell signal, I found the application will not connect and a battery pull is required to reset things. Also, the maps were downloading so slow that my 45mph back road driving was going faster than the GPS Software could handle. Most of the time I was watching an arrow on blank black screen with only a small cut off map portion at the bottom, where I had been 30 seconds before. Had I been walking this probably would have not been a problem. Yes, I know the irony: The Car oriented cell phone GPS software did not work so well in the car. I found that after running Garmin maps, my Google maps no longer connected. A battery pull fixed this issue. Another major bug is my Storm would reset itself every 15-20 minutes while running Garmin Mobile.

Lastly, I have no idea what the license says if you buy this software. What happens if you break your cell and have to get a referb? Do you have to pay for it again? Garmin’s website is vague and says nothing more than “the life of the device”. I am fairly certain this means that in a year if you upgrade your cell then you will have to pay for Garmin Mobile again. IMO: With a $100 price tag you would be better off buying a separate GPS unit and using a free program like Google maps on your cell phone. While the $100 is a one shot deal (unlike VZW Navigator), it’s still a lot to pay for a piece of cell phone software that is beta quality at best.
    01-21-09 01:24 PM
    Good post but I don't believe Google has released a GPS version for the storm.

I have used all of these even the Nav4All, but Garmin seems to be the best.
    01-21-09 01:31 PM
    Good post but I don't believe Google has released a GPS version for the storm.

I have used all of these even the Nav4All, but Garmin seems to be the best.
    I am running google maps on my storm with out a problem. I went to the google download link on my storm and it installed just fine. It runs great. How else would I have been able to review it above?

Taken from the Info Screen in Google Maps on my Storm:

Version 2.3.2 (#2377) gmm
    Platform: Blackberry-9530_v4_7
    Last edited by Thalinor; 01-21-09 at 01:45 PM.
    01-21-09 01:40 PM
    I am running google maps on my storm with out a problem. I went to the google download link on my storm and it installed just fine. It runs great. How else would I have been able to review it above?

Taken from the Info Screen in Google Maps on my Storm:

Version 2.3.2 (#2377) gmm
    Platform: Blackberry-9530_v4_7
    Google maps works fine, it is the GPS portion of Google maps that does not work.
    01-21-09 01:47 PM
    interesting...

here's an argument for you to consider though...and I already know how you and/or others will respond.

You're obviously a standalone GPS fanboy, and that's fine...they definitely have their perks. However, in order to update to the most current maps and whatnot, you WILL be forced to pay an additional annual charge (not to mention traffic updates, which were a monthly add-on when I had my C550). When you consider the costs of monthly services like VZN or TeleNav, which are updated regularly, it comes down to a matter of convenience. I've got everything I could ever need in a GPS device at my finger tips - GPS nav, yellow pages, weather, traffic...At the end of the year, I will have dropped $120, but at least I knew I always had the most current map and info data available, rather than be directed to gas stations no longer in existence (which has happened on NUMEROUS occaisions with my old, outdated Garmin).
    01-21-09 01:55 PM
    Google maps works fine, it is the GPS portion of Google maps that does not work.
    Still not true. Before GPS connects it uses cell towers to find your position. I find I get a 3000 ft location circle till GPS kicks in.

After GPS connects my position is dead on correct. Google GPS IS WORKING on my storm with full GPS connection. It was about 15 feet off last time I tried.

Again, at first I get a huge location ring while it says "connecting to satellites" at the bottem. After that message goes away, the position ring shrinks and is dead on.

If you were one of those people who messed up and connected to verizon's navigator at some point, then your GPS is locked on your storm and you are screwed.

interesting...

here's an argument for you to consider though...and I already know how you and/or others will respond.

You're obviously a standalone GPS fanboy, and that's fine...they definitely have their perks. However, in order to update to the most current maps and whatnot, you WILL be forced to pay an additional annual charge (not to mention traffic updates, which were a monthly add-on when I had my C550). When you consider the costs of monthly services like VZN or TeleNav, which are updated regularly, it comes down to a matter of convenience. I've got everything I could ever need in a GPS device at my finger tips - GPS nav, yellow pages, weather, traffic...At the end of the year, I will have dropped $120, but at least I knew I always had the most current map and info data available, rather than be directed to gas stations no longer in existence (which has happened on NUMEROUS occaisions with my old, outdated Garmin).

I was going to put this exact same thing in my review under the Pro's of Garmin & VZW Nav but decided it was not worth the information for the following reasons:

Garmin uses the same map data for Garmin Mobile as they do for their car GPS. This Map software is based off of MapSource City Navigator and is updated once a year around August. I have updated 2 versions of City Navigator (08 & 09) and before that 2 versions of the pre-navigator map software called "City Select". Depending on your area, the map "Updates" will be nothing more than POI Updates. My buddy in VA who has also followed the same update path said it took Garmin 3 years & updates to add a major highway in Richmond. I have sent more than one email to them asking to fix a major screw up with a road here in CT that is not a road, but rather railroad tracks. If you follow the GPS it will tell you to turn onto the rail road tracks and continue down the railroad tracks. Bumpy at best, deadly at worst. I have also filled out the form on navteq's website to have this fixed. This was 3 years ago and its still not done. Also, until last year Garmin would give you two map unlock keys with every upgrade. Upgrades cost $70, so if you split that between two people it was only $35 each. It would be unfair not to say Garmin changed this policy last year and now you only get one unlock key for $60

While map updates are important, updating every year is probably not necessary. Lastly, in the end its still cheaper to buy a $120 stand alone GPS and just throw it away and get a new one if you do not want to update the maps.

How are you suppose to navigate and talk on your phone? My phones battery life sucks as it is never mind when I turn on the GPS and keep the backlit screen going. Depending on your phone, the screen is probably far smaller than a portable GPS.

All of the other “features” you mentioned are FREE elsewhere either using wap or html pages. Its like people who use Verizon 411 when you can call Google 411 for free. Google 411 has no ads, no bs, call the number say the city, state and listing and you get the number. Why pay Verizon $1.50 for 411?

As for the traffic you are 100% correct. Unless we are talking google maps for blackberry. That has traffic and is free. Standalone GPS units you will have to pay for traffic unless you are in Europe where the traffic system is FREE.

Lets be honest... How many people do you see driving around with their verizon flip phone and its 1.5" screen using a GPS? As for the storm, there are better options too.
    Last edited by Thalinor; 01-21-09 at 02:31 PM.
    01-21-09 02:03 PM
    Still not true. Before GPS connects it uses cell towers to find your position. I find I get a 3000 ft location circle till GPS kicks in.

After GPS connects my position is dead on correct. Google GPS IS WORKING on my storm with full GPS connection. It was about 15 feet off last time I tried.

Again, at first I get a huge location ring while it says "connecting to satellites" at the bottem. After that message goes away, the position ring shrinks and is dead on.

If you were one of those people who messed up and connected to verizon's navigator at some point, then your GPS is locked on your storm and you are screwed.
    You should feel privileged because your one of the few.
    Last edited by NuclearPigeon; 01-21-09 at 02:11 PM.
    01-21-09 02:06 PM
    You should feel privileged because you may be the only one.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/go...happen-136617/
    Well I just started the app, and put it next to the window. I'll give it ten minutes and check back to see if it found me.

BIG EDIT:

Has anyone actually ever read the "My Location (Beta)" under the Help screen? It specifically states that "it's not GPS."

Why the uncertinaty? The My Location service takes information broadcast from mobile towers near you to approximate your current location on the map-it's not GPS, but it comes pretty close. We are always working to improve our coverage, but we're still in beta and there may be some areas where our coverage is incomplete; if you get an error message when trying to access your location, don't worry---it should work in other nearby locations.
    Last edited by Sandlotje; 01-21-09 at 02:15 PM.
    01-21-09 02:08 PM
    Nice review. It would seem though, if a comparison was to be made with a stand-alone GPS , features such as turn by turn directions, recalculating route time, detour, and even traffic could be features worth the money or subscription to people who drive in a metropolitan area. Unfortunately, 2 out of the 3 reviewed have none of these features, Garmin does, as does VzNav. I am unaware of the features of Nav4all.
    01-21-09 02:20 PM
    great review. since i'm a gps novice and sporadically use it, i guess i should stick with blackberry maps and google maps. they have both served my basics needs very well so far.
    01-21-09 03:51 PM
    Well, with the exception of the Verizon app, I own and have used all the above. I have several Garmin Nuvi stand-alone GPS units, with and without MSN traffic signal that I use to travel every week. Nevertheless, I still licensed the Garmin product for the Storm. With a discount, it cost me around $75 for a life-time license. Upon request, Garmin informed me that meant that I could change the BB PIN once during the first year, in case I had to change the unit. That is essentially the same cost of the yearly upgrades that I DO purchase each and every year (I do constantly find changes in the maps, although I do also agree that they don't always catch the upgrades they should). I find that I quite often use both the stand-alone and the Storm version. It's just great to have a backup. I always use my Storm on DC power, unless I am walking a street somewhere and need a quick location fix and direction. Once I set a route with the Storm Garmin, even though I may lose the maps due to loss of connectivity, if I continue to follow directions, it takes me where I need to go. (Yes, as a test, I have navigated solely with the Storm Garmin for several hundred miles).

I am using 800 Series Nuvi units, with voice announced streets, traffic updates, etc. and I get nearly exactly the same functionality on the Storm Garmin. I am frankly VERY impressed with this software. I am not sure that I could use it exclusively as my auto navigation, but for what I use it, it is perfect!
    01-21-09 05:32 PM
    The is also GPSed Mobile Application, special version for Storm is expected soon!
    01-22-09 01:54 AM
    GPS does not work on the Verizon network with Google Maps.

It is giving me my location within 5000 meters. It also says GPS is temporarily unavailable after 10 mins of waiting.

Blackberry Maps found me in a minute
    01-22-09 02:03 AM
    Same here. I've got gmm 2.3.2 and only have a 2300 meter estimation with cell tower triangulation. Note that I've never used Verizon Navigator.

GPS does not work on the Verizon network with Google Maps.
    01-22-09 12:17 PM

Did not read review. Posts like this show that you have no credibility. You could not be more wrong. 0/10.
    01-22-09 12:42 PM
    First off let me say sorry for my post.. but after reading this, and the tone in which I read it, followed by the responses... well, sorry.

Storm GPS Software Options � Review

The following review is for GPS options on your Blackberry Storm. I will be going over the following applications: Blackberry Maps, Google Maps, and Garmin Mobile.
    Very nice... a good intro letting us know what to expect. Well done.

Note #1: I have omitted Verizon Navigator because it�s rumored to permanently lock out the Storms GPS on first run.
    Shouldn't you find out before you spread more rumors?

Note #2: My �Field� is Government/Military/Emergency Services.
    Ahh.. a Government/Military/Emergeny Services person... well, they must be correct, right?

I want to clear up two things first before going on to the software reviews. First, it is 99.9% probable your cell phone does not get its voice & data service from a satellite. I here this mistake made all the time.
    No.. you "hear"... not "here". This is just the only one I pointed out... sorry, it bugs me. Everyone makes typo's, I do all the time (might have in my post).

Unless you own a �satellite phone� (the smallest currently about the size of the old large brick style Nextels, but with a huge antenna attached), your cell phone connects to land based towers, NOT satellites orbiting the earth.
    Correct!

Second, the signal all GPS receivers receive is nothing more than the current time. I want to state that again� The GPS signal your Phone, Car, Portable, etc receives is nothing more than the current (very exact) time.
    Uh oh.... let's hold the fort. That's not correct. GPS signals contain more than time (very exact, yes). They, in fact, send the time, orbital information (location), and an approximate location of other satellites to aid in fixing on a location.

On to the review:
    Please... by all means.

(in reference to Google Maps)

One annoying thing I found was that it does not show how many satellites you are connected to or if you are even connected at all. The size of the accuracy ring is a good indication if you are connected, but I would like to see a connection status screen added. Google maps is more aesthetically pleasing the BB maps on all levels and looks more refined. You can also view satellite photos and current traffic information.
    Umm... what? Even Google has stated that the program does not work with the GPS signal on the Storm. What are you using here?

The only thing I would like to see added is a better interface with more sleek icons (like Garmin maps reviewed below), a screen to check satellite connection, and weather.
    Oh.. you want other software programs to work and look like your Garmin? Oh, I get it... a non-biased review!!

I state the above because I am about to bash GARMIN MOBILE, and I wanted to be clear this is a non-bias review.
    Glad you cleared it up... man.. looked like you were hooked completely on Garmin after all the times you mentioned how many of their products you use, own, family has, etc.

As I stated at the start... sorry.. but I really hate fan-boys claiming not to be, and even worse is when people declare their knowledge and are incorrect. It's one thing to think you understand something, comment from your personal knowledge and learn that you were incorrect. We all learn, all the time.. nobody knew it all when they were born. But to declare how correct you are, and give an air of authority is not needed... we are all here to help each other.

I've learned a lot from this forum... the Storm is my first BB. I love it, and the folks here who have taught me an incredible amount.
    01-22-09 12:56 PM
    I will say thank you for the time to create an interesting review...it is however faulty due to unproven rumors and lack of full comparison with other software.

My wife has a standalone GPS that is very nice. I can compare to it and I must say that when comparing as others pointed out you really have to consider the map upgrades that are included with Garmin Mobile (not one time license fee), Verizon Navigator, Telenav and possibly others. Also, if you leave out Verizon Navigator based on a rumor which I am sure is false since I have used it and then later tried Garmin for Storm with no problems.

I liked the Garmin a lot at first and thought I might switch. But before the trial was up I decided that for me Verizon Navigator was superior. I can get an accurate GPS location in doors with it. If you compare to old versions of Navigator then Garmin would win hands down but that is not the case with the current version set to 3D mode instead of Dashboard mode. The traffic function included with Navigator has worked well for me. There are a few features of Garmin Mobile that I would like to see on Navigator but they are minor.

Again to each his own preference. This review just was too limited in scope from the start.
    01-22-09 06:18 PM
    A special version of GPSed mobile application for BlackBerry Storm appeared!

Now Storm owners could also track and map their trips using GPSed.
    All features that you have already got accustomed to use in GPSed for other BlackBerry devices you will find in a Storm version.

From this moment there are two versions of GPSed for BlackBerry available: standard version for for those devices with 4.2., 4.3., 4.5., 4.6 OS and special version for Storm (4.7 OS). In the recent update of a standart version 1.2.1 several bug fixes were implemented.

GPSed has a free basic version but you can also get GPSed Pro with a new features which make it really efficient.

For those who are interested: Pro features are described in GPSed Blog:

• Lifetime support via e-mail;
    • �SOS� button for instant position alerts over SMS or email;
    • Live tracking with small time intervals.

You can get over-the-air installation on your device from GPSed wap site.
    To download desktop installation you can visit website of GPSed.
    02-02-09 07:12 AM
    Is there a way to keep your display illuminated while driving with the Blackberry Maps on? Also, it can plt a route turn by turn and let you know when and where to turn, right? Sorry, I have not used the app yet but I am interested. Thanks!
    02-03-09 01:25 PM
    Yes, GPSed have all these features. Try it, it is free!!
    Get more info here: GPSed.com

Is there a way to keep your display illuminated while driving with the Blackberry Maps on? Also, it can plt a route turn by turn and let you know when and where to turn, right? Sorry, I have not used the app yet but I am interested. Thanks!
    02-03-09 01:33 PM
    How about the Blackberry app?
    02-03-09 02:04 PM
    Please specify what exactly do you mean?
    How about the Blackberry app?
    02-03-09 02:07 PM
    Sorry, Blackberry Maps.
    02-03-09 02:11 PM
    GPSed is based on Google Maps!

Sorry, Blackberry Maps.
    02-03-09 02:12 PM
    But, it is different software that needs to be installed, right?
    02-03-09 03:22 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD