Forgive me as I am a brand new BB user - my first device is the Storm 9530 w/VZW and I just received it today. I should start by saying I declined the $10/mo VZ Nav and while waiting for my phone (which arrived w/the .75 firmware loaded) I heard about GPS being unlocked and BB Maps working. On my phone under Applications is MAPS - is this BB Maps? Before I realized it was there I tried to wirelessly d/l BB Maps from the BB Maps site and it told me I had an unsupported OS. I'm looking for any assistance I can get. I haven't even had the chance to load all of the BB s/w on my home PC yet. All I did was activate the phone and charge it at work via the USB cable. Google maps did d/l and is neat to use, but I heard that doesn't work well on the Storm 9530 (not sure what doesn't work because it told me exactly where I was...). In any event, just trying to determine if MAPS in application folder is THE BB Maps on the BB site. Thanks in advance.
    12-10-08 03:20 PM
    Yes, it is.
    Make certain you have enabled GPS for it to work.
    Options->Advanced Options->GPS: GPS Services <Location On>, Location Aiding <Enabled>
    12-10-08 07:24 PM
    Thanks - now it's working - way cool! It'll be nice if the GPS function ever works on Google Maps for the Storm, but for now this is cool!
    12-10-08 08:41 PM
    Yes, it is.
    Make certain you have enabled GPS for it to work.
    Options->Advanced Options->GPS: GPS Services <Location On>, Location Aiding <Enabled>
    Mine is set this way... however still no GPS function.
    12-10-08 11:51 PM
    Mine is set this way... however still no GPS function.
    Same here. What gives??
    12-13-08 11:58 PM
    Guessing its the fact that verizon wirele$$ wants the $10/month . I know as soon as I find a rock solid proggy for free my vzw nav is gone...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 02:21 AM
    Guessing its the fact that verizon wirele$$ wants the $10/month . I know as soon as I find a rock solid proggy for free my vzw nav is gone...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I use Nav4All which is free. Amaze is also free.
    12-14-08 10:16 AM
    I tried to DL BBmaps too and it didn't work on the storm. the VZ guy told me it was made that way so you'd use the BBMaps as part of the data network package, which includes both email, SMS/MMS, and VZ navigator.

I haven't found a way to get a map onto my BB and use it's internal GPS.

I'll try the Nav4All.
    01-04-09 09:40 PM
    I just posted this in another thread, but here goes. Verizon does NOT have GPS locked for just VZNav. They have unlocked the GPS on Blackberries for all apps. The problem with Google maps is that the program has not been properly ported to the Storm. Google has said they are currently working on it.

Nav4All is free, and a good program. amAzeGPS looks like a very good program, but according to one of the admins with amAzeGPS they are having trouble getting the program to work with any BB from Verizon...a problem with the application signature. They also are working the problem.

Hope this helps.
    01-09-09 11:19 AM
    So there is no way I can get the BB Maps install into my Storm?.
    01-13-09 07:56 PM
    Weird. BB Maps already came installed on my Storm? And it works fine.
    01-15-09 10:48 PM
    My suppost to be preintalled to, because is part of the OS. But no icon was show and when uninstalled from DM, and try to installed again. Did�nt Work.
    01-17-09 04:55 PM
    any news if the google map is working on the storm?
    01-20-09 03:06 AM
    Weird. BB Maps already came installed on my Storm? And it works fine.
    Diddo

With Bell
    01-21-09 11:39 PM
    what is bbmaps and is their ota?
    01-25-09 09:14 AM
    what is bbmaps and is their ota?
    It's the "Maps" program that comes pre-installed.
    01-25-09 10:31 AM
    well i didnt get it with mind also tired nav4all and when i got to my destion it always reset my phone and had todo a batt pull not worth my time going to try amaze..
    01-27-09 01:57 AM
    Is there a OTA available for bb maps. i deleted it to save space after getting google maps and later i realized i needed it for weatherbug. any help would be appreciated...
    02-27-09 07:54 PM
    sorry im new and this is my first post

does enabling the GPS and using the bb maps cost anything extra is you have the unlimited data plan, and how do you download these free turn by turn applications?
    03-06-09 11:09 AM
    sorry im new and this is my first post

does enabling the GPS and using the bb maps cost anything extra is you have the unlimited data plan, and how do you download these free turn by turn applications?
    I have used BB Maps for months now on my Storm (verizon) and there are absolutely no additional fees and unless you are really out in the country the directions are impeccable. So use away, no worries. BB Maps is a turn by turn so you don't really need anything else, unless you decide to... that is up to you.
    03-06-09 11:44 AM
    Oh yeah I forgot to let you know. The GPS function uses up some battery. So make sure and close completely out of BB Maps when you are not using it. But don't worry about using it for directions... just one time I left BB Maps application running in my pocket for a few hours cause I got distracted and forgot and my battery was dead as roadkill when I needed my phone to make a call. So don't forget.
    03-06-09 11:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD