on verizon will you be able to call threw the wifi or is the wifi just for data
    09-27-09 11:11 AM
    Doubt it. To the best of my knowledge, T-Mo is the only carrier that supports this.
    09-27-09 11:15 AM
    Correct me if I am wrong but, T-Mobile is the only carrier in the US that supports it.
    09-27-09 11:34 AM
    Let's see I'm reading other threads...........nope looks likes data only. Tmobile is only carrier to offer voice over wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-09 01:52 PM
    it's "through"
    09-27-09 01:53 PM
    that would be awsome but no... t-mobile is the only one T.T
    09-27-09 01:56 PM
    What about Google Voice?
    09-27-09 02:02 PM
    No I disagree. UMA is only a wireless protocol. HAS NOTHING TO DO with calls over data. All of the other phones verizon offers such as the Omnia, offer calls over data, but you get your minutes taken away as normal. I dont see any reason there would be a difference just because it is a Blackberry. As I said there are at least 10 phones Verizon wireless has right now with WIFI, and they all have calling over data. Like I said you cant say Verizon will "lock" it down, because they fail to do so on 10 other phones they currently own.
    09-27-09 02:19 PM
    well as of now, calls on VZW don't work on the data network, they only work with 1XRTT network connectivity...so phones on VZW can't make calls via wi-fi...or via data network...but with LTE it will have the capacity to carry both voice and data simultaneously, but for now they're planning on keeping the 1X for voice and eventually phase out the EV, and replace it with LTE...
    09-27-09 02:29 PM
    well as of now, calls on VZW don't work on the data network, they only work with 1XRTT network connectivity...so phones on VZW can't make calls via wi-fi...or via data network...but with LTE it will have the capacity to carry both voice and data simultaneously, but for now they're planning on keeping the 1X for voice and eventually phase out the EV, and replace it with LTE...
    I disagree becasue I have done it myself. I had a Samsung Omnia on Verizon and was making calls through WIFI no problem. I get NO SIGNAL at my house and that was the only way I could make ANY calls. I also know people with other Windows Mobile phones with the same problem in their house who also use WIFI for all calls. IT IS POSSBILE ON VERIZON.
    09-27-09 02:41 PM
    network extender isn't wi-fi...just want to clarify that for you
    09-27-09 02:44 PM
    network extender isn't wi-fi...just want to clarify that for you
    no ****. I am not paying 250.00 for network extender nor do I have one. I used Samsung Omnia over WIFI to make all of my calls. I get 0 bars in my house period, not even 1 bar. I was using my wireless router with WIFI on my phone and made calls. I called CS they told me, that my minutes would come off as normal. I know you guys think WIFI is new to Verizon, but it has been on WINMO phones for at least a year and a half. All those phones can make calls using WIFI. Verizon is able to use voice over IP technology to link up the call to the VZN network. It has already been done so why would they do anything different for Blackberries.
    09-27-09 02:58 PM
    VZW has no VoIP client to carry the "call" once it reaches a network...what you're describing would require some sort of 3rd party software to handle the call.

so yes, a VZW device with wi-fi could possibly make a call via wi-fi, but it wouldn't be a VZW provided VoIP client that you're using, so technically you're not making a VZW call on a VZW device with VZW VoIP....

maybe i'm unclear as to what your statement was...correct me please if i'm wrong....or at least fill in the pieces, or provide documentation from VZW stating this is possible, because i can find none of that.

basically i call "pix or it didn't happen"
    09-27-09 03:07 PM
    I asked my supervisor if he could surf the web while on a call using WIFI on his Omnia and he told me yes.
    09-27-09 03:38 PM
    UMA is what is required to natively call over WiFi on a BlackBerry... and so far only T-Mobile supports UMA in the NA market...

At this point in time VZW has no plans of adding UMA... although many people at VZW like blackmannx are trying to get it pushed through...

But it must be said that VZW DOES have the technology to do UMA, how else do you think the Wireless Extender unit works? It intercepts your Mobile signal and transmits it over the broadband internet connection you have it hooked up to...
    This is why the VZW wireless extender has GPS built in... it's so you don't take it overseas and use it to make free calls on the vzw network when you are out of the country... the unit only works in the USA... Pretty cool huh? lol
    09-27-09 03:38 PM
    no ****. I am not paying 250.00 for network extender nor do I have one. I used Samsung Omnia over WIFI to make all of my calls. I get 0 bars in my house period, not even 1 bar. I was using my wireless router with WIFI on my phone and made calls. I called CS they told me, that my minutes would come off as normal. I know you guys think WIFI is new to Verizon, but it has been on WINMO phones for at least a year and a half. All those phones can make calls using WIFI. Verizon is able to use voice over IP technology to link up the call to the VZN network. It has already been done so why would they do anything different for Blackberries.
    I'm just curious, Do you live inside a cave in a mountain made of solid lead or steele? I travel all over the U.S. for one of my jobs and have yet to locate a place besides the back of a wal-mart that has ever went below 2 bars on analog. I have never lost a single call either, I am going on my 3rd year with verizon.
    09-27-09 03:48 PM
    I'm just curious, Do you live inside a cave in a mountain made of solid lead or steele? I travel all over the U.S. for one of my jobs and have yet to locate a place besides the back of a wal-mart that has ever went below 2 bars on analog. I have never lost a single call either, I am going on my 3rd year with verizon.
    Move out of all major cities into the woods of say Ft Pickett, Va. You will find sparse signal at best there. Verizon has probably the best coverage in the country but that doesn't mean they cover the entire country.
    09-27-09 03:55 PM
    Yea...VA is rough when it comes to coverage.
    09-27-09 04:13 PM
    VZW has no VoIP client to carry the "call" once it reaches a network...what you're describing would require some sort of 3rd party software to handle the call.

so yes, a VZW device with wi-fi could possibly make a call via wi-fi, but it wouldn't be a VZW provided VoIP client that you're using, so technically you're not making a VZW call on a VZW device with VZW VoIP....

maybe i'm unclear as to what your statement was...correct me please if i'm wrong....or at least fill in the pieces, or provide documentation from VZW stating this is possible, because i can find none of that.

basically i call "pix or it didn't happen"
    Well I now have a tour so I would not be able to provide pix. I guess you are right I was using witchcraft or voodoo to get it to work. I am saying it is possible cuz I have done it with the phone out of the box, not using any special program. No skype, no Google voice, just WIFI, my router and my phone. As I said it doesn't matter at this time becasue I currently have a tour.

And I live North of Tampa Florida. Have great coverage in Tampa and surrounding cities even a few miles down the road on hyw 19, but I live right by the water, and there are no towers by my house. That is why i get no coverage inside, not even D I get searching for signal or no signal constantly.
    Last edited by theanswer3; 09-27-09 at 04:23 PM.
    09-27-09 04:21 PM
    So what I'm picking up here is Skype-type VOiP using your Skype account name or number, yes; instant messaging, yes; VOiP calls that have your cell number show up in the callee's caller ID, no.

But the evolution of this in the next generation of phones after the Storm 2 will be interesting; voice calls on LTE appear set to be VOiP, so where will the WiFi end and the VOiP begin?
    09-27-09 04:26 PM
    Move out of all major cities into the woods of say Ft Pickett, Va. You will find sparse signal at best there. Verizon has probably the best coverage in the country but that doesn't mean they cover the entire country.
    I don't doubt you guys, I'm just saying, I have driven through the Ozarks, Smokey Mountains, Yellowstone, All over Colorado and Wyoming. I may have gotten a little bit low on signal strengh but I have never had NO bars. I seriously have never lost a call with verizon. I will never leave this company, Although not very knowlegable, Their customer service is amazing, they help you out without question.
    09-27-09 04:39 PM
    Am I missing something? I thought analog cell towers went the way of the dinosaurs about a year or more ago. Unless you're using a different context. At any rate, I get zero bars at home all the time, and I'm in the Atlanta area, hardly the backside of nowhere, especially for Verizon coverage. There are still dead zones.
    09-27-09 05:44 PM
    I don't doubt you guys, I'm just saying, I have driven through the Ozarks, Smokey Mountains, Yellowstone, All over Colorado and Wyoming. I may have gotten a little bit low on signal strengh but I have never had NO bars. I seriously have never lost a call with verizon. I will never leave this company, Although not very knowlegable, Their customer service is amazing, they help you out without question.
    Alright, I have to call BS. I live in the Ozarks, Southwest Missouri specifically, and i can tell you there are definitely dead areas here. I mean DEAD areas. I work for the Greene County Sheriff's Office (Springfield is the county seat), and used to work for the Christian County Sheriff's Office. So while you may drive through the Ozarks on our major highways, I drive all over the Ozarks. I can tell you there are dead spots in Northwest and eastern Greene County. And Chadwick in Christian County is a virtual radio signal black hole. You can barely get out on a car radio with a tower repeater there. If it were possible for my phone to show negative bars, it would.

Even in some of the larger towns and cities, there are dead spots. Its inevitable. Its the nature of geography, meets city planning, meets technology, meets Murphy's Law.

So while Verizon has a great network, and excellent coverage, no company can 100% cover every square inch of the country without fail. To suggest it is almost fanboy-ish (and I hate calling ppl fanboys). It is not unreasonable or shocking to believe someone might have no bars in their home.

*end rant*

OUCH! Sorry...fell off my soapbox. I'm okay though.
    09-28-09 12:51 AM
    Well I now have a tour so I would not be able to provide pix. I guess you are right I was using witchcraft or voodoo to get it to work. I am saying it is possible cuz I have done it with the phone out of the box, not using any special program. No skype, no Google voice, just WIFI, my router and my phone. As I said it doesn't matter at this time becasue I currently have a tour.

And I live North of Tampa Florida. Have great coverage in Tampa and surrounding cities even a few miles down the road on hyw 19, but I live right by the water, and there are no towers by my house. That is why i get no coverage inside, not even D I get searching for signal or no signal constantly.
    So you literally have Jesus's phone that works via wifi and then you decided to switch to the Tour which can't make calls from your home. Makes sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 12:01 PM
    it's "through"
    Says the guy with 'wanna' in his signature
    09-28-09 01:02 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD