Blackberry is not marketable. They could be the only ones besides Apple to sell iOS device and they would still not make money.

I bet that Samsung could have pulled more BB10 sales than Blackberry back in the day, before they dropped it completely.
    OK. So much for a discussion then.
    10-19-16 04:20 PM
    That's exactly the point. If he can make money selling Chinese Androids he can also make money selling in-house BB10 phones because the problem is not the OS or apps it's something completely different.
    He's not selling Android devices anymore, Chinese or otherwise. He's licensing the software and brand to other companies who will sell their own phones with BB software and branding.

But leaving that aside, you do understand that custom hardware running BB10 is considerably more expensive and risky than what he's doing now. It is much, much harder to make money when you are investing money into custom hardware AND your own OS.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 10-19-16 at 08:02 PM.
    JeepBB and cgk like this.
    10-19-16 07:44 PM
    Subsequent to that, a number of BlackBerry blogs stated that future devices with BlackBerry hardening would come through these licencing deals.
    It's interesting...a few short months ago, Chen said security was all about endpoints. It's really about slapping BlackBerry logos on endpoints, apparently.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    10-19-16 07:59 PM
    It's interesting...a few short months ago, Chen said security was all about endpoints. It's really about slapping BlackBerry logos on endpoints, apparently.

How does providing a BlackBerry-secured Android OS on licence entail "slapping on a logo"?
    10-19-16 08:21 PM
    I wonder the cost of rebranding several phones (2 in this case) vs the cost of designing 1 phone in house.
    10-20-16 03:11 AM
    I wonder the cost of rebranding several phones (2 in this case) vs the cost of designing 1 phone in house.
    It's the cost of a few backplates with the BlackBerry logo as opposed to the costs of design, tooling, contract manufacturer pricing, staff overhead, the risk of writedowns if stock doesn't sell, testing, design revisions, and several other variables. Private label hardware has been around for a long time, and often the only differentiation is the price point for the same product. As an example: Maytag, Whirlpool, and Amana refrigerators all come off the same assembly line. The only difference is what label gets put on the machine. Then there's brands like Kenmore, which is just a Whirlpool or GE appliance built to be sold and marketed by Sears. Dell printers are the same thing: they're either Canon or Lexmark printers with a different colour exterior.

I recall a situation where a customer was debating whether to buy a Savin branded copier from a competitor, or to buy a Ricoh from the company I was with at the time. When I was asked by the customer which was better, I had to tell him the truth: the two machines were identical except for the sticker on the front panel and the name on the toner bottle, despite the fact that the sales rep for the other company that the Ricoh was an inferior machine!

At least in the case of BlackBerry, while the hardware design may be coming from someone else, they aren't just re-badging: there are at least changes to the underlying software that could be seen as a compelling differentiator to a stock Android device.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 06:52 AM
    Can't be done: Google Play Services restrictions come up once again. Your idea would be good for an advertising slogan though.

Posted via CB10
    As much as they are 'controlled' with the tag line that goes onto the bootup screen, I've always thought a tagline for advertising that would be more effective would be 'Android, secured by BlackBerry'. It will get people who aren't familiar with android's Swiss cheese security, to rethink BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 07:05 AM
    How does providing a BlackBerry-secured Android OS on licence entail "slapping on a logo"?
    It has everything to do with it...because it's the only way it's ever going to happen. (BlackBerry Android, BlackBerry Device) Other OEMs needs BlackBerry Android like they need a hole in the head. In a market with such slim margins there is no room for esoteric extravagances.

Endpoint = Hardware.

10-20-16 12:24 PM
    It's the cost of a few backplates with the BlackBerry logo as opposed to the costs of design, tooling, contract manufacturer pricing, staff overhead, the risk of writedowns if stock doesn't sell, testing, design revisions, and several other variables. Private label hardware has been around for a long time, and often the only differentiation is the price point for the same product. As an example: Maytag, Whirlpool, and Amana refrigerators all come off the same assembly line. The only difference is what label gets put on the machine. Then there's brands like Kenmore, which is just a Whirlpool or GE appliance built to be sold and marketed by Sears. Dell printers are the same thing: they're either Canon or Lexmark printers with a different colour exterior.

I recall a situation where a customer was debating whether to buy a Savin branded copier from a competitor, or to buy a Ricoh from the company I was with at the time. When I was asked by the customer which was better, I had to tell him the truth: the two machines were identical except for the sticker on the front panel and the name on the toner bottle, despite the fact that the sales rep for the other company that the Ricoh was an inferior machine!

At least in the case of BlackBerry, while the hardware design may be coming from someone else, they aren't just re-badging: there are at least changes to the underlying software that could be seen as a compelling differentiator to a stock Android device.

Posted via CB10
    You also see this a lot with musical instruments, in fact sometimes they arrive in the same packaging.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 01:25 PM
    It has everything to do with it...because it's the only way it's ever going to happen. (BlackBerry Android, BlackBerry Device) Other OEMs needs BlackBerry Android like they need a hole in the head. In a market with such slim margins there is no room for esoteric extravagances.

Endpoint = Hardware.

I doubt we'll ever see a Blackberry branded device without Blackberry Android. If that means there will be no further devices, then so be it.
    10-20-16 01:36 PM
    I doubt we'll ever see a Blackberry branded device without Blackberry Android. If that means there will be no further devices, then so be it.
    That's not what I said but...OK.

10-20-16 02:56 PM
    He's not selling Android devices anymore, Chinese or otherwise. He's licensing the software and brand to other companies who will sell their own phones with BB software and branding.

But leaving that aside, you do understand that custom hardware running BB10 is considerably more expensive and risky than what he's doing now. It is much, much harder to make money when you are investing money into custom hardware AND your own OS.
    And who pays for the marketing?
    10-21-16 08:50 AM
    And who pays for the marketing?
    In the new scheme, it will be the licensee who markets, distributes and sells their own phones.

BB is free to market their own brand, OS, apps and features on their own of course. So I'm sure it will be some of both.
    10-21-16 09:06 AM
    Let just see how these rebrandings and the outsourcing work out shall we? No point in arguing.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-22-16 11:10 PM
    I like BlackBerry , I have at the moment a z10 , z30 , Passport and a Priv.
    Blackberry 10 was a great os but I can understand the move to Android
    The Priv is a great device with typical Blackberry design elements.
    The BlackBerry- , Hub , calendar , keyboards (hardware and software) , device search , dtek and so on are great for Android and will be even better in the near future.

So it's okay for me that Android and software is the way to go.
    Even to let your devices manufacturing by third parties to reduce the costs is in my opinion not a problem.

I just can not understand why rebranding devices that are never designed as a Blackberry and sold for a lower price with a brand like Alcatel which is generally known as a manufacturer of cheap and budget devices.

It is like putting Mercedes badges on a Lada.
    I will never buy devices like the dtek 50 and dtek 60.

Blackberry please design real businesses devices with the quality and typical Blackberry elements and stop rebranding.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    How is it that you just dont get it after all this time? BB10 is dead. It was DOA on arrival. sure, some people hang on to it but some of us still have that disaster known as a playbook. BB is out of the hardware business. They have failed miserably at it. BB10 has been put out to pasture. Like it or not, no apps means no OS!!!!
    10-23-16 12:13 AM
    In the new scheme, it will be the licensee who markets, distributes and sells their own phones.

BB is free to market their own brand, OS, apps and features on their own of course. So I'm sure it will be some of both.
    What OS? What Apps?
    10-23-16 12:13 AM
    As much as they are 'controlled' with the tag line that goes onto the bootup screen, I've always thought a tagline for advertising that would be more effective would be 'Android, secured by BlackBerry'. It will get people who aren't familiar with android's Swiss cheese security, to rethink BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Less than 1% market share, What is there to rethink? No OS and no BB devices.
    10-23-16 12:15 AM
    What OS? What Apps?
    To be fair, IIRC BB use a tweaked kernel on their Android line, and they retain their Android line of Apps (the Hub, etc) which they are free to market.

However, I agree with the thrust of your post. I can't see BB spending much any of their time and money on marketing those things except as part of a pitch to potential licensees, which I'm sure will happen behind closed doors.
    10-23-16 03:44 AM
    If Chen were here he'd ask a simple question: "how can I make money doing what you are suggesting? Please explain that"
    Do your own job Chairman Chen. Stop offloading your responsibilities onto the backs of the peasants. What was your question?
    10-23-16 03:57 PM
    Wasn't Nougat released for the N6 like a week and a half ago? It wasn't even a lottery rollout. It went out to everybody/all N6 owners. My son's N6 got it a week or so ago, and I played with it a bit.
    Finally got Nougat last night.
    10-25-16 07:06 AM
95 ... 234