Yes, and that is also precisely why what BlackBerry is doing is extremely problematic to the reputation of their brand...do they want people to start seeing their security products the same way? After all, did they not mainly get to their "secure software" pivot by essentially re-branding WatchDox, AdHoc, etc. lol...

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    Over the years Microsoft has done the very same thing: they seem to be still operating not too badly!
    Years ago, in Canada, Petro-Canada became a chain by purchasing someone else's line of gas stations and re-branding. They're huge in Canada now.

It's a workable strategy and not to be sneered at - if you can pull it off and integrate it successfully, works fine.

I program for a living. I almost NEVER code a program from scratch. On a smaller scale I am doing what BB has done: find some existing piece of code that's 80% of what I need and then refine it to give the end result. Why keep re-inventing the wheel?
    10-17-16 09:26 AM
    After using the DTEK50 for a couple of months, it seems very solid. No flimsy buttons, no rattles, pieces are evenly fitted well together. Screen image quality is excellent, and the cameras take great pictures for a mid range device. All and all, it looks nice and doesn't feel cheap.
    Which is in a way the whole problem for Android OEM's... everyone is using the same parts building the same designs. One of my kids friends has a BLU phone... didn't look or feel like what I expected of a sub $100 phone. How does anyone differentiate themselves, and how do the keep from having their price undercut by the next new Android phone - released two weeks later (as there is always a new phone being released).

Do think BlackBerry's software package is one way to do this, just not sure that price adder over the generic TCL phones, was seen as that much of a value by the general market.

But at this point, it's too late... As the CEO has thrown in the towel. Some will say the DTEK60 is the last BlackBerry, some will say it was the Leap or the Passport.... some still think it was the 9900. And others are looking forward to whatever 3rd party devices get released.
    10-17-16 09:43 AM
    After using the DTEK50 for a couple of months, it seems very solid. No flimsy buttons, no rattles, pieces are evenly fitted well together. Screen image quality is excellent, and the cameras take great pictures for a mid range device. All and all, it looks nice and doesn't feel cheap.
    thx. hopefully, the build quality of dtek 60 would be better (in terms of material selection and industry design) after 6 month of usage in the real world. at the moment, talk about 60's build quality is a bit of early ;-). Best of luck BB, or TCL.
    10-17-16 09:54 AM
    Which is in a way the whole problem for Android OEM's... everyone is using the same parts building the same designs. .... .
    This is simply part of the evolution of consumer products. At some point product development peaks in terms of features and quality, and then the cost cutting begins. The end result is essentially reasonably priced full featured generic products with a few high priced exceptions.
    10-17-16 09:58 AM
    Which is in a way the whole problem for Android OEM's... everyone is using the same parts building the same designs. One of my kids friends has a BLU phone... didn't look or feel like what I expected of a sub $100 phone.
    Blu is not true cost of phone... it got ads from amazon. (almost got the Blu phone... until read a bit in details), and got BB after them for patent infringement... design is not bad... they did utilize the 09 economic downturn to get the parts cheap and development to sustain the owner who used to be the parts supply... timing is everything... hard to duplicate that.
    Last edited by stlabrat; 10-18-16 at 07:51 AM.
    10-17-16 10:00 AM
    When will BlackBerry make an IOS phone,
    10-17-16 03:57 PM
    I like BlackBerry , I have at the moment a z10 , z30 , Passport and a Priv.
    Blackberry 10 was a great os but I can understand the move to Android
    The Priv is a great device with typical Blackberry design elements.
    The BlackBerry- , Hub , calendar , keyboards (hardware and software) , device search , dtek and so on are great for Android and will be even better in the near future.

So it's okay for me that Android and software is the way to go.
    Even to let your devices manufacturing by third parties to reduce the costs is in my opinion not a problem.

I just can not understand why rebranding devices that are never designed as a Blackberry and sold for a lower price with a brand like Alcatel which is generally known as a manufacturer of cheap and budget devices.

It is like putting Mercedes badges on a Lada.
    I will never buy devices like the dtek 50 and dtek 60.

Blackberry please design real businesses devices with the quality and typical Blackberry elements and stop rebranding.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Be careful what you wish for.
    10-17-16 04:45 PM
    OP, which would you rather have? No BlackBerry phones or would you rather have phones on the market with their security? They were making a grand total of ZERO on their in house phones. They had to do it.
    10-17-16 08:57 PM
    OP, which would you rather have? No BlackBerry phones or would you rather have phones on the market with their security? They were making a grand total of ZERO on their in house phones. They had to do it.
    They were making significantly LESS than zero (meaning: they were losing money - a LOT of money).
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-18-16 12:24 AM
    I cannot believe you got into an argument about build quality with someone posting from a Priv, easily one of the poorest phones in recent times in terms of build quality. Of course their idea of build quality will be a bit ermm warped.
    10-18-16 11:52 PM
    Nothing poor about my Priv's build quality. All is well.

Via Q5.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-16 12:06 AM
    They were making significantly LESS than zero (meaning: they were losing money - a LOT of money).
    For sure they were losing money. It actually shocked me that phones kept coming out even though they weren't making a penny.

As for where they are now, it just makes good business sense to either get out completely or cut costs enough to give yourself the chance of profitability.

I'd rather them go this route than not be in business at all.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-19-16 10:18 AM
    If Chen were here he'd ask a simple question: "how can I make money doing what you are suggesting? Please explain that"
    That's an easy question that requires another question as an answer "Have you figured out how to make money with outsourced Android phones? How is that working out for you?"
    10-19-16 10:40 AM
    That's an easy question that requires another question as an answer "Have you figured out how to make money with outsourced Android phones? How is that working out for you?"
    That is two questions and I will assume you are asking John Chen.

1. No.
    2. So well that we are exiting the hardware business and licensing our software.

None of this changes the fact that BB10 was dragging them into the abyss.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-19-16 11:14 AM
    That is two questions and I will assume you are asking John Chen.

1. No.
    2. So well that we are exiting the hardware business and licensing our software.

None of this changes the fact that BB10 was dragging them into the abyss.
    I still think the outcome has some positives.

If the exit had been made with BB10, we would never see any more devices, and there would be no more revenue from the endeavor.

Since the exit has been made from BlackBerry Android, we have a hope of seeing future licenced devices, and the potential of earning recurring revenue from OS licencing and app subscriptions.
    10-19-16 11:25 AM
    I cannot believe you got into an argument about build quality with someone posting from a Priv, easily one of the poorest phones in recent times in terms of build quality. Of course their idea of build quality will be a bit ermm warped.
    Says the guy who was recommending "post recall" Note 7's to people here. LMFAO

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    10-19-16 12:07 PM
    Actually that doesn't answer the question at all, does it? It doesn't answer the question of how they can make money with BB10 or custom hardware, regardless of OS.

Unless you're saying that BB can't make money in phones, full stop.

That may be the answer to both questions. So here we are at the licensing model. It probably can't make much money, either, but at least it can't lose money.
    10-19-16 01:57 PM
    Actually that doesn't answer the question at all, does it? It doesn't answer the question of how they can make money in BB10. Unless you're saying that BB can't make money in phones, full stop.

That may be the answer to both questions. So here we are the licensing model. It probably can't make much money, either, but at least it can't lose money.
    That's exactly the point. If he can make money selling Chinese Androids he can also make money selling in-house BB10 phones because the problem is not the OS or apps it's something completely different.
    10-19-16 02:00 PM
    That's exactly the point. If he can make money selling Chinese Androids he can also make money selling in-house BB10 phones because the problem is not the OS or apps it's something completely different.
    No, because BlackBerry is only selling a hardening package for an OS that is being actively developed to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

BB10, such as it is, is not marketable.
    10-19-16 02:20 PM
    No, because BlackBerry is only selling a hardening package for an OS that is being actively developed to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

Are they even selling the hardening package? Chen said at the earnings calls that people didn't have to pay for the additional security if they didn't want.

So i have a running suspicion that people are actually going to be paying for the logo to slap on the phone and a license for the apps they are selling on the app store at the moment - in the same way some OEMs pay swiftkey.

From a bbry perspective that is even cheaper because people are paying for something you are already developing to work on any genetic android device.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-19-16 02:51 PM
    Are they even selling the hardening package? Chen said at the earnings calls that people didn't have to pay for the additional security if they didn't want.

So i have a running suspicion that people are actually going to be paying for the logo to slap on the phone and a license for the apps they are selling on the app store at the moment - in the same way some OEMs pay swiftkey.

From a bbry perspective that is even cheaper because people are paying for something you are already developing to work on any genetic android device.
    Subsequent to that, a number of BlackBerry blogs stated that future devices with BlackBerry hardening would come through these licencing deals.

My point is more that if they had instead packed it in with BB10, we wouldn't be having this discussion, as there would be absolutely nothing at this stage to licence or sell.
    cgk likes this.
    10-19-16 02:55 PM
    My point is more that if they had instead packed it in with BB10, we wouldn't be having this discussion, as there would be absolutely nothing at this stage to licence or sell.
    Well BB10 is available for licence.
    10-19-16 03:08 PM
    Well BB10 is available for licence.
    There's a glass 1/100th full statement!
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    10-19-16 03:12 PM
    Subsequent to that, a number of BlackBerry blogs stated that future devices with BlackBerry hardening would come through these licencing deals.
    I tend to treat anything that isn't in an earning calls as something to ignore unless it's literally a product launch when someone stands there with a phone in their hand.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-19-16 03:49 PM

Blackberry is not marketable. They could be the only ones besides Apple to sell iOS device and they would still not make money.

I bet that Samsung could have pulled more BB10 sales than Blackberry back in the day, before they dropped it completely.
    10-19-16 04:11 PM
95 1234