Yes, and that is also precisely why what BlackBerry is doing is extremely problematic to the reputation of their brand...do they want people to start seeing their security products the same way? After all, did they not mainly get to their "secure software" pivot by essentially re-branding WatchDox, AdHoc, etc. lol...
    Well, they will have to choose their licensees carefully to maintain the value of that brand. Hopefully they understand that.
    10-16-16 12:12 PM
    I have a number of DTEK50 devices, and I can put the build quality debate to rest - these are solid devices. TCL is one of the top 10 manufacturers by volume in the world - they are no slumps.

It makes absolutely zero sense for BlackBerry to build a slab themselves as they could never achieve even close to the same specs to price ratio.

I ordered my DTEK60 already from Staples. I think it's a very good looking device. As opposed to the OnePlus and many others, it will actually see updates.

The features of BlackBerry Android that aren't available with the suite (keyboard, productivity tab, BB10-style active frame screen, swipe up gestures, integrity detection, etc) are important to me.

Just my thoughts.
    Attachment 410119
    I see what you are saying (and by the way I don't think DTEK60 looks 'bad' either, it just doesn't have the 'look' of a BlackBerry) but I do think the case for a lower spec'd phone at a higher price is less convincing when an almost exact physical replica is available from a competitor. This is one area where design, look, and feel make a difference. Consumers that are buying phones based on software features alone are not the majority. Case in point...Apple can charge more for a glossy black iPhone 7 simply because more people want it. Looks matter and they matter to the identity of the brand.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    10-16-16 01:37 PM
    Since the Nexus program is done the dtek is something that I will consider if they have something when I'm ready.
    Btw my Nexus 6 still has not received nougat.
    No nougat? Why not? My son's did.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-16-16 01:47 PM
    I see what you are saying (and by the way I don't think DTEK60 looks 'bad' either, it just doesn't have the 'look' of a BlackBerry) but I do think the case for a lower spec'd phone at a higher price is less convincing when an almost exact physical replica is available from a competitor. This is one area where design, look, and feel make a difference. Consumers that are buying phones based on software features alone are not the majority. Case in point...Apple can charge more for a glossy black iPhone 7 simply because more people want it. Looks matter and they matter to the identity of the brand.

Sorry, I think I lost the point you were trying to make.

I think the DTEK50 is as nice and solid a device as the Z30 or Leap ever were. BlackBerry has no special talent for slab devices. Their economies of scale would put the price of their own design far out of touch with the market.

As far as paying a premium over the similar (but not identical in the case of the DTEK60) Alcatel Idol 4 or TCL 950, you either buy into the security argument or you don't. If you don't, you would not be looking at BlackBerry Android anyway.

The real competitor to BlackBerry Android is Samsung Knox or Blackphone.
    10-16-16 01:58 PM
    Sorry, I think I lost the point you were trying to make.

I think the DTEK50 is as nice and solid a device as the Z30 or Leap ever were. BlackBerry has no special talent for slab devices. Their economies of scale would put the price of their own design far out of touch with the market.

As far as paying a premium over the similar (but not identical in the case of the DTEK60) Alcatel Idol 4 or TCL 950, you either buy into the security argument or you don't. If you don't, you would not be looking at BlackBerry Android anyway.
    You say that as a person who cares primarily about the software that is on the phone. Unfortunately, that is not what the vast majority of consumers are considering when they purchase a device. And I don't agree with you on the DTEK50 either...it looks and feels like what it is, which is a cheap phone. Sorry. The Leap always was low end, and the Z30 a much nicer device. The fact you can say that about a Z30...a premium but ancient device compared to the Alcatel "BlackBerry"...accentuates you have very little appreciation for the physical aspect of the design.

10-16-16 02:05 PM
    Such a great strategy, they ended it after releasing one phone (and clearly paying for another).
    The strategy is still solid. The fact that that they hurt the brand perhaps fatally with their bungled Priv release does not change that. Designing one's own generic slab adds nothing to the bottom line and there is nothing wrong with the TCL designs.
    cgk likes this.
    10-16-16 02:09 PM
    You say that as a person who cares primarily about the software that is on the phone. Unfortunately, that is not what the vast majority of consumers are considering when they purchase a device. And I don't agree with you on the DTEK50 either...it looks and feels like what it is, which is a cheap phone. Sorry. The Leap always was low end, and the Z30 a much nicer device. The fact you can say that about a Z30...a premium but ancient device compared to the Alcatel "BlackBerry"...accentuates you have very little appreciation for the physical aspect of the design.

I'm not sure how I can say this in a different way for you to get my point.

BlackBerry has absolutely no illusions on trying to capture the general slab consumer. They are peddling to individuals and corporations that buy into their security play. Period.

As for your supercilious comment regarding my level of appreciation for a good design, I assure you it is important to me. I have had a Z30 since launch and continue to use it today. In my opinion it is nothing special compared to many other decent generic slabs out there, then or today, including the DTEK50.
    10-16-16 02:34 PM
    BlackBerry has absolutely no illusions on trying to capture the general slab consumer. They are peddling to individuals and corporations that buy into their security play. Period.
    While we sometimes take a different view, on this I agree with you entirely.

The entire rationale for the DTEK range is what I disparagingly call the "special sauce". As you've said before, if you don't see the value in BB's security enhancements, you aren't the target market.

It continues to surprise me how many posters here seem to believe that, even now, BB is (or should be) making a play for the consumer mass-market. The point where that game was over came a couple of years ago when BB10 failed to gain traction.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-16-16 02:50 PM
    Since the Nexus program is done the dtek is something that I will consider if they have something when I'm ready.
    Btw my Nexus 6 still has not received nougat.
    Wasn't Nougat released for the N6 like a week and a half ago? It wasn't even a lottery rollout. It went out to everybody/all N6 owners. My son's N6 got it a week or so ago, and I played with it a bit.
    10-16-16 03:39 PM
    Wasn't Nougat released for the N6 like a week and a half ago? It wasn't even a lottery rollout. It went out to everybody/all N6 owners.
    I am sure you are right but I have not received it.
    10-16-16 03:43 PM
    It does have an white LED

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-16-16 04:00 PM
    I'm not sure how I can say this in a different way for you to get my point.

As for your supercilious comment regarding my level of appreciation for a good design, I assure you it is important to me. I have had a Z30 since launch and continue to use it today. In my opinion it is nothing special compared to many other decent generic slabs out there, then or today, including the DTEK50.
    Sorry but to say you know something about appreciating design and saying the DTEK50 is a "solid device" and as good as a Z30 is a complete contradiction. You can't compare it to a phone that is more than two years old. Maybe the real issue is for people bending over backwards to post-rationalize what BlackBerry is doing to the point of blind acceptance regardless of the quality of the outcome. The DTEK line looks exactly what it is supposed to look like...cheap devices rebranded with a BlackBerry logo. Sorry...but from a hardware perspective, that is the reality. No delusions here. Lol.

10-16-16 04:29 PM
    ... It is like putting Mercedes badges on a Lada. ...
    It was until Mercedes starting putting Mercedes badges on cheap Mercedes.
    10-16-16 04:31 PM
    The DTEK line looks exactly what it is supposed to look like...cheap devices rebranded with a BlackBerry logo. Sorry...but from a hardware perspective, that is the reality. No delusions here. Lol.

I have a feeling you don't actually own a DTEK50.

Anyhow, far be it for me to actually disagree with you without being called delusional, irrational, contradictory, or incapable of appreciating good slab design. I bow to your incontrovertible and definitive opinion on the subject.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-16-16 04:59 PM
    I have a number of DTEK50 devices, and I can put the build quality debate to rest - these are solid devices. TCL is one of the top 10 manufacturers by volume in the world - they are no slumps.

It makes absolutely zero sense for BlackBerry to build a slab themselves as they could never achieve even close to the same specs to price ratio.

I ordered my DTEK60 already from Staples. I think it's a very good looking device. As opposed to the OnePlus and many others, it will actually see updates.

The features of BlackBerry Android that aren't available with the suite (keyboard, productivity tab, BB10-style active frame screen, swipe up gestures, integrity detection, etc) are important to me.

Just my thoughts.
    Attachment 410119
    No "SLOUCHES", you mean?
    10-16-16 05:00 PM
    It continues to surprise me how many posters here seem to believe that, even now, BB is (or should be) making a play for the consumer mass-market. The point where that game was over came a couple of years ago when BB10 failed to gain traction.
    You always seem surprised. But I know why. That is another issue.

If you read what I actually posted, I said nothing about BlackBerry making a play for the mass market. But they do have some choice in terms of what market they DO go after.

I also said the DTEK does not have the look and feel of a BlackBerry. I have seen one, tested it, used it. It just feels cheap. What else can I say? I would not spend $400+ for a phone that feels no better than a $99 Samsung I can pick up at Costco. That is a hardware design issue. That is an aesthetics issue. That is a quality issue. That is a BRAND issue. Some people believe you can stick your logo on any product with "specs" and that is good enough...I suppose if you set the bar really low...yes, that can be true. To me, praising the DTEK line is for its aesthetics as a BlackBerry is like complimenting the Emperor with no clothes on how well his suit matches his shoes.

janzeeschuimers likes this.
    10-16-16 05:30 PM
    I have no problem that other manufacturers are producing the devices to reduce the costs.
    I only ask not to put a Blackberry badge on a existing device that never is designed as a Blackberry but it was designed as a Alcatel.
    That's no different than what they did with the Playbook. The Playbook - and the original Amazon Kindle Fire - were both based on a Quanta Computer reference design, and aside from a couple of options, are virtually identical. Yet there are people here who would never use a Kindle Fire who are convinced that the Playbook was the ultimate tablet - and that it's construction and design were just superb (many don't realize that BB didn't design it).

But you don't have to worry - BB isn't going to subcontract out devices anymore. Now they are just going to license out their name...
    DrBoomBotz, JeepBB, Pcmx and 1 others like this.
    10-16-16 06:08 PM
    That's no different than what they did with the Playbook. The Playbook - and the original Amazon Kindle Fire - were both based on a Quanta Computer reference design, and aside from a couple of options, are virtually identical. Yet there are people here who would never use a Kindle Fire who are convinced that the Playbook was the ultimate tablet - and that it's construction and design were just superb (many don't realize that BB didn't design it).

But you don't have to worry - BB isn't going to subcontract out devices anymore. Now they are just going to license out their name...
    What about the dtek60 and the Mercury?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-16 09:21 PM
    What about the dtek60 and the Mercury?

Posted via CB10
    I think Troy considers the DTEK60 already accounted for.

As far as the Mercury is concerned, it may or may not see the light of day. We may see a licenced pkb device instead.
    JeepBB and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    10-16-16 09:55 PM
    You always seem surprised. But I know why. That is another issue.

If you read what I actually posted, I said nothing about BlackBerry making a play for the mass market. But they do have some choice in terms of what market they DO go after.

I also said the DTEK does not have the look and feel of a BlackBerry. I have seen one, tested it, used it. It just feels cheap. What else can I say? I would not spend $400+ for a phone that feels no better than a $99 Samsung I can pick up at Costco. That is a hardware design issue. That is an aesthetics issue. That is a quality issue. That is a BRAND issue. Some people believe you can stick your logo on any product with "specs" and that is good enough...I suppose if you set the bar really low...yes, that can be true. To me, praising the DTEK line is for its aesthetics as a BlackBerry is like complimenting the Emperor with no clothes on how well his suit matches his shoes.
    Can you blame me for being in a state of almost continual surprise when confronted with posts on CB that deny reality on a near-daily basis?

You're right of course in saying that BB has a choice of what market to pursue, but I'd suggest that their choices are restricted to chasing the Enterprise fleet-phone market, or *not* chasing the Enterprise fleet-phone market. And, from Chen's words and actions, it appears that BB have gone for option 2!

FWIW, I wouldn't buy a DTEK50 either.
    10-17-16 02:03 AM
    Have you hold the dtek50 or dtek60? Many people satisfied with the build quality I think

posted via the last true BlackBerry
    Yes, I think they are a fine low to middle of the road devices, by feel in the hand. And the same for design - basic, generic. Nothing either unique or memorable. Commodity item comes to mind . . .
    10-17-16 03:44 AM
    I like BlackBerry , I have at the moment a z10 , z30 , Passport and a Priv.
    I just can not understand why rebranding devices that are never designed as a Blackberry and sold for a lower price with a brand like Alcatel which is generally known as a manufacturer of cheap and budget devices.
    Alcatel as a phone brand (at least in my country) has almost no reputation. They do have some absolutely bottom-end pay-as-you-go devices, but none of the higher end ones show up under any carrier for the most part. I think this move, if it works, is good for both brands: Blackberry gets affordable, and Alcatel gets something mid-range in stores. ZTE is in the same boat.

That said, I would certainly prefer to see Blackberry take the lead brand on their Android offerings. Instead of "Powered by Android", I would have gone with "Android. Powered by Blackberry". Never understood why they didn't position their Android move as the evolution of BB10, rather than abandoning BB10 and giving the appearance of not committing.

Water under the bridge I guess. Doubt anyone will design a PKB device to brand as a Blackberry, and without that might as well get any brand device.
    10-17-16 05:33 AM
    Instead of "Powered by Android", I would have gone with "Android. Powered by Blackberry".
    Can't be done: Google Play Services restrictions come up once again. Your idea would be good for an advertising slogan though.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-16 06:34 AM
    Have you hold the dtek50 or dtek60? Many people satisfied with the build quality I think

posted via the last true BlackBerry
    can you explain the build quality? it thought you can not access it until it is in the market for a while... you mean the material selected for the form and fit? sound volume? camera? only based on spec? thx. my kind of "build quality" is sort of like this:
    http://www.xda-developers.com/the-g5...f-its-virtues/
    Last edited by stlabrat; 10-17-16 at 09:10 AM.
    10-17-16 08:48 AM
    can you explain the build quality? it thought you can not access it until it is in the market for a while... you mean the material selected for the form and fit? sound volume? camera? only based on spec? thx. my kind of "build quality" is sort of like this:
    http://www.xda-developers.com/the-g5...f-its-virtues/
    After using the DTEK50 for a couple of months, it seems very solid. No flimsy buttons, no rattles, pieces are evenly fitted well together. Screen image quality is excellent, and the cameras take great pictures for a mid range device. All and all, it looks nice and doesn't feel cheap.
    glwerry and Tsepz_GP like this.
    10-17-16 09:19 AM
95 1234