I like BlackBerry , I have at the moment a z10 , z30 , Passport and a Priv.
    Blackberry 10 was a great os but I can understand the move to Android
    The Priv is a great device with typical Blackberry design elements.
    The BlackBerry- , Hub , calendar , keyboards (hardware and software) , device search , dtek and so on are great for Android and will be even better in the near future.

So it's okay for me that Android and software is the way to go.
    Even to let your devices manufacturing by third parties to reduce the costs is in my opinion not a problem.

I just can not understand why rebranding devices that are never designed as a Blackberry and sold for a lower price with a brand like Alcatel which is generally known as a manufacturer of cheap and budget devices.

It is like putting Mercedes badges on a Lada.
    I will never buy devices like the dtek 50 and dtek 60.

Blackberry please design real businesses devices with the quality and typical Blackberry elements and stop rebranding.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Q10Bold, jegs2 and krazyatom like this.
    10-15-16 09:03 PM
    If Chen were here he'd ask a simple question: "how can I make money doing what you are suggesting? Please explain that"
    10-15-16 09:14 PM
    I have no problem that other manufacturers are producing the devices to reduce the costs.
    I only ask not to put a Blackberry badge on a existing device that never is designed as a Blackberry but it was designed as a Alcatel.
    Design with ideas , elements that are typical for a Blackberry business device and not rebrand a Alcatel and selling it as it is a Blackberry.
    Like I already said if you put Mercedes-Benz badges on a already existing car like a Lada the Lada will still be a Lada and will not transform in a Mercedes-Benz with a few Mercedes badges.
    But if Mercedes designes a new car and let it be produced in the Lada factory then you can call it a real Mercedes.

Last edited by janzeeschuimers; 10-15-16 at 09:37 PM.
    10-15-16 09:27 PM
    Have you hold the dtek50 or dtek60? Many people satisfied with the build quality I think

posted via the last true BlackBerry
    10-15-16 09:31 PM
    I have no problem that other manufacturers are producing the devices to reduce the costs.
    I only ask not to put a Blackberry badge on a existing device that never is designed as a Blackberry but it was designed as a Alcatel.
    Design with ideas , elements that are typical for a Blackberry business device
    The devices you like (Z10, Z30, Passport) were all manufactured by other companies under contract to BB. That isn't a new thing.

What is new is that BB have announced that they will not be designing their own phones anymore. The reason is because they cannot find a way to make money that way. In fact they can't even find a way to avoid losing a lot of money that way.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-15-16 09:31 PM
    Have you hold the dtek50 or dtek60? Many people satisfied with the build quality I think

posted via the last true BlackBerry
    The dtek 50 has not even a led on the front to let know you have a message , that is one of the key elements of Blackberry and the battery is to small for a business device.

10-15-16 09:43 PM
    Mercedes is able to design their own cars and make money. They have the scale to do this, the distribution to do this, the brand equity to do this, and the financial resources to survive a few misses (like the R-class)

BlackBerry has none of those things. You need all 4 to do what you are suggesting. BlackBerry has zero of those 4 things.
    JeepBB, PantherBlitz and TGR1 like this.
    10-15-16 09:55 PM
    OP, Blackberry tried to design their own phone and it's just not profitable anymore. They need to sell about 10M phones per yeah to be profitable, but they are now selling less than half of that and sales are dropping. So what do you want them to do? Design a phone just for you?
    10-15-16 09:59 PM
    As I mull over BlackBerry's apparent decision to end hardware development, I am trying to think of examples where companies have put their (once reputable) logo on another company's product, and it has ended well...

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    jope28, JeepBB and jegs2 like this.
    10-15-16 10:54 PM
    The dtek 50 has not even a led on the front to let know you have a message
    It has a white LED on the front, you just can't change its colour.
    10-15-16 10:55 PM
    It has a white LED on the front, you just can't change its colour.
    A dab with red Sharpie... ;-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    10-16-16 02:49 AM
    No Blackberry purist liked to see them abandon their own hardware development, but the company does not have the resources they once processed.

Shrinking revenue on hardware and loss of market share they once dominated, what else where they supposed to do?

For myself, as long as they are still supporting a Android device with their name on it, I think it's far better then the alternative of having nothing at all.
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    10-16-16 04:53 AM
    As I mull over BlackBerry's apparent decision to end hardware development, I am trying to think of examples where companies have put their (once reputable) logo on another company's product, and it has ended well...

Go to a quick search on Alibaba and you will notice all of kinds of product that you can rebrand and then sell. You will also notice that the identical product is available in many different stores under different brands. It is fairly common.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer and DarkJoker33 like this.
    10-16-16 05:16 AM
    Mercedes is able to design their own cars and make money. They have the scale to do this, the distribution to do this, the brand equity to do this, and the financial resources to survive a few misses (like the R-class)

BlackBerry has none of those things. You need all 4 to do what you are suggesting. BlackBerry has zero of those 4 things.
    Mercedes luxury car line is a part that is part of a larger company.

In fact they have produced vehicles as rebrands for other companies. Such as the Dodge Sprinter or the same vehicle that was sold be VW and even Mercedes. Also their commercial vehicle division is very large.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-16-16 05:19 AM
    I like BlackBerry , I have at the moment a z10 , z30 , Passport and a Priv.
    Blackberry 10 was a great os but I can understand the move to Android
    The Priv is a great device with typical Blackberry design elements.
    The BlackBerry- , Hub , calendar , keyboards (hardware and software) , device search , dtek and so on are great for Android and will be even better in the near future.

So it's okay for me that Android and software is the way to go.
    Even to let your devices manufacturing by third parties to reduce the costs is in my opinion not a problem.

I just can not understand why rebranding devices that are never designed as a Blackberry and sold for a lower price with a brand like Alcatel which is generally known as a manufacturer of cheap and budget devices.

It is like putting Mercedes badges on a Lada.
    I will never buy devices like the dtek 50 and dtek 60.

Blackberry please design real businesses devices with the quality and typical Blackberry elements and stop rebranding.

Thanks to cheap chen.

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    10-16-16 06:28 AM
    The dtek 50 has not even a led on the front to let know you have a message , that is one of the key elements of Blackberry and the battery is to small for a business device.

It has a white LED, which is better than no LED. Most phones in the midrange have no LED

Posted via CB10
    10-16-16 06:37 AM
    No Blackberry purist liked to see them abandon their own hardware development, but the company does not have the resources they once processed.

Shrinking revenue on hardware and loss of market share they once dominated, what else where they supposed to do?

For myself, as long as they are still supporting a Android device with their name on it, I think it's far better then the alternative of having nothing at all.
    Agreed, a blackberry secured device, with OS hardening and BlackBerry tweaks such as its own launcher and apps on a reference design are better to me (as well as more important) than no BlackBerry at all.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 likes this.
    10-16-16 06:41 AM
    Go to a quick search on Alibaba and you will notice all of kinds of product that you can rebrand and then sell. You will also notice that the identical product is available in many different stores under different brands. It is fairly common.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, and that is also precisely why what BlackBerry is doing is extremely problematic to the reputation of their brand...do they want people to start seeing their security products the same way? After all, did they not mainly get to their "secure software" pivot by essentially re-branding WatchDox, AdHoc, etc. lol...

10-16-16 09:56 AM

The plan is already made - come 28th Feb there will be nobody left at BBRY able to do this.
    JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    10-16-16 09:58 AM
    A dab with red Sharpie... ;-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    Ingenious.

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    10-16-16 10:03 AM
    I have a number of DTEK50 devices, and I can put the build quality debate to rest - these are solid devices. TCL is one of the top 10 manufacturers by volume in the world - they are no slumps.

It makes absolutely zero sense for BlackBerry to build a slab themselves as they could never achieve even close to the same specs to price ratio.

I ordered my DTEK60 already from Staples. I think it's a very good looking device. As opposed to the OnePlus and many others, it will actually see updates.

The features of BlackBerry Android that aren't available with the suite (keyboard, productivity tab, BB10-style active frame screen, swipe up gestures, integrity detection, etc) are important to me.

Just my thoughts.
    Attachment 410119
    Uzi, PantherBlitz, cgk and 1 others like this.
    10-16-16 10:38 AM
    Will be interesting to see how good the hardware is in the upcoming 'did the cheque clear?' era
    10-16-16 11:00 AM
    BlackBerry is actually ahead of the curve with their DTEK strategy. It makes little sense for anyone to design their own black plastic slabs running Android and expect to make a profit. Soon, if not already, software will be the only way to differentiate phone models.
    blackmass likes this.
    10-16-16 11:09 AM
    BlackBerry is actually ahead of the curve with their DTEK strategy. It makes little sense for anyone to design their own black plastic slabs running Android and expect to make a profit. Soon, if not already, software will be the only way to differentiate phone models.
    Such a great strategy, they ended it after releasing one phone (and clearly paying for another).
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-16-16 11:22 AM
    Since the Nexus program is done the dtek is something that I will consider if they have something when I'm ready.
    Btw my Nexus 6 still has not received nougat.
    10-16-16 11:29 AM
95 123 ...