Can people please stop hating on people who doesn't have a data plan on their BB? Or want a cheaper data plan than what most people pay for?

Stop with the "If you don't get a data plan, use wifi instead of a data plan, GO GET AN IPHONE or something else?"

We're entitled to do what we wanna do, people post here to ask for opinions on what they want to do, not get bashed cause they don't have a data plan.

If you do have a data plan, and it's THE best in your opinion, then good for you! You don't have to bash people around just because they don't have what you have.

And yes, i do have a data plan. I just don't understand what the hating is all about.
    04-19-09 01:03 PM
    Personally I don't care if anyone has a data plan. Up to them. I do understand where it comes from though. Some (not all) get a bb then no data plan and want to know how to get things to work. They are the ones trying to be cheap. A simple search will bring up tons of threads started on no data blackberry and what apps they can use. So to me that's why I see some people getting short with them. Just my 2 cents

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 01:17 PM
    Altruistically, people want others to have the best experience possible from the BB lifestyle and the data connectivity is a large chunk of that. This altruism gets frustrated when the naysayers believe they don't "need" the data.

I say let people do what they want, even if they don't know yet what they're missing. You can just let em know how good it is and that's it.

04-19-09 01:20 PM
    Altruistically, people want others to have the best experience possible from the BB lifestyle and the data connectivity is a large chunk of that. This altruism gets frustrated when the naysayers believe they don't "need" the data.

I say let people do what they want, even if they don't know yet what they're missing. You can just let em know how good it is and that's it.

Exactly my point, but some people just bash and bash. They don't just let them know, they push it to the person to the point that it is annoying.
    04-19-09 01:31 PM
    Data Plans Ftw!!!!!
    04-19-09 01:33 PM
    I don't think its really hate; I just think its that a lot of the stuff one does on a bb is dependent on data.

04-19-09 01:34 PM
    i thought just to have the blackberry storm you needed an unlimited data plan??
    04-19-09 01:34 PM
    i thought just to have the blackberry storm you needed an unlimited data plan??
    With Verizon yes. Because Verizon requires a data plan on Blackberry's.

04-19-09 01:37 PM
    Now personally I don't care one way or another whether someone decides to get a data plan or not. I never bash them for that. But whenever a thread is started asking my opinion and everyone else's, my answer is always the same.

Imagine going out with a super hot chick who is just HOT. She tells you that she will date you, but will never, ever sleep with you. Never, ever. What's the point in seeing her if you can't have her to her fullest capabilities?

Same as a data plan, IMHO.

04-19-09 01:39 PM
    Now personally I don't care one way or another whether someone decides to get a data plan or not. I never bash them for that. But whenever a thread is started asking my opinion and everyone else's, my answer is always the same.

Imagine going out with a super hot chick who is just HOT. She tells you that she will date you, but will never, ever sleep with you. Never, ever. What's the point in seeing her if you can't have her to her fullest capabilities?

Thats a perfect analogy!
    04-19-09 01:42 PM
    Exactly my point, but some people just bash and bash. They don't just let them know, they push it to the person to the point that it is annoying.
    I'm seeing u r on Rogers. So am I. I do have a data plan but of course everybody (at least most of us ) trying to get the cheapest they can. Sure everybody has their own budget. Unfortunately here in Canada I believe we don't have as many good option as those in US. It's easy to say get this or that when u have a good plan or the money to have it unlimited.
    Just my opinion.
    04-19-09 01:52 PM
    I wouldn't "hate" on someone for not having the data plan,But for me i couldn't own a blackberry without it..
    04-19-09 02:08 PM
    For me, I don't hate on anyone for much of anything. If you (anybody) want a BB, without a data plan, then do you. I was told I had to have one, when I bought my phone, and that was the end of it.

If I buy a device, I want full usage capabilities — and if I can't afford to use it, the way it was intended (making a general statement here, not determining what an individual can or can't afford), then I won't get it. There is no point, for me.

Blackberrys are data-intensive devices, and what makes them so awesome is all you can do with them, when they're in their "native soil". Take a data plan out of the picture, and you've crippled the device, imo.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 04-19-09 at 02:27 PM.
    04-19-09 02:23 PM
    With Verizon yes. Because Verizon requires a data plan on Blackberry's.

oh ok..i was reading that and i was in shock that i was the only one with unlimited data plan..lol
    04-19-09 02:32 PM
    oh ok..i was reading that and i was in shock that i was the only one with unlimited data plan..lol[/B]
    Well I don't know exactly what types of BB plans Verizon offers. But from what I know, it is required that some sort of BB plan be active while you're using a Blackberry phone. It's hard to get around it because in order to take the data plan off, Verizon would require you to activate a non-blackberry phone. How would they know? CDMA....
    04-19-09 02:42 PM
    For me, I don't hate on anyone for much of anything. If you (anybody) want a BB, without a data plan, then do you. I was told I had to have one, when I bought my phone, and that was the end of it.

If I buy a device, I want full usage capabilities — and if I can't afford to use it, the way it was intended (making a general statement here, not determining what an individual can or can't afford), then I won't get it. There is no point, for me.

Blackberrys are data-intensive devices, and what makes them so awesome is all you can do with them, when they're in their "native soil". Take a data plan out of the picture, and you've crippled the device, imo.
    All your posts are always written so well,Are you a writer?Or just that intelligent lol : )
    04-19-09 02:45 PM
    Well I don't know exactly what types of BB plans Verizon offers. But from what I know, it is required that some sort of BB plan be active while you're using a Blackberry phone. It's hard to get around it because in order to take the data plan off, Verizon would require you to activate a non-blackberry phone. How would they know? CDMA....
    They can tell by the ESN whether the phone is a Blackberry or a non-smartphone. They can even run the ESN in their database to see if the smartphone is an older model that they will allow on their network without a data plan.
    04-19-09 02:46 PM
    They can tell by the ESN whether the phone is a Blackberry or a non-smartphone. They can even run the ESN in their database to see if the smartphone is an older model that they will allow on their network without a data plan.
    I know. I was being sarcastic.
    04-19-09 02:47 PM
    Don't hate the haters..
    04-19-09 02:49 PM
    All your posts are always written so well,Are you a writer?Or just that intelligent lol : )
    Awww...thank you! No... I'm not a writer (actual writers would have a field day, with many of my posts), just very conversational. Intelligent? Reasonably so, I hope!
    04-19-09 02:50 PM
    Awww...thank you! No... I'm not a writer (actual writers would have a field day, with many of my posts), just very conversational. Intelligent? Reasonably so, I hope!
    your welcome,And i know intelligence when i see it
    04-19-09 02:53 PM
    Thank you for bring this up, in many ways, it is part of our New Resolution to make the site member friendly and helpful.

I am one those that used a BlackBerry for sometime before subscribing to a data plan. Many people have no need of the push email feature and are entirely satisfied to use SMS and a phone.

Fortunately for me, Rogers offered a satisfactory 6 Gb BIS plan and that ended my final objection. Forum moderation has greatly increased my email volume, some 7000 message in less then a year.

My plan is getting a workout.

CrackBerry Rocks!
    04-19-09 02:54 PM
    I don't think Verizon actually requires a data plan on all BB's. Only that you must get it if you want the new BB device for the cheap price. I could be mistaken though, but I'm relatively confident I've encountered a few people who have BB's on Verizon and no data.

That being said... I don't think people hate on those without data plans, so much that they shake their head in bewilderment that you'd spend good coin on a device and not use it for what it was designed for, or what it's capable of. There's a plethora of cheaper alternative devices that would be a perfect fit.

I scratch my head a lot when I meet somebody with a BB Device, try to show them how to use BBM, only to find they're on T-Mo and no data plan. T-Mo offers unlimited texting and web browsing already, so it's the rare person who actually opts for the Data.
    04-19-09 03:02 PM

Perfectly agree with you. Whats the point of owning an Aston Martin (BB) when all you do with it is go get your groceries at the store around the corner. Sure it is cooler then doing it in an AMC Goblin (dumb phone), but you will never be able to tap into the raw power it can offer to you...

04-19-09 03:21 PM
    I don't think Verizon actually requires a data plan on all BB's. Only that you must get it if you want the new BB device for the cheap price. I could be mistaken though, but I'm relatively confident I've encountered a few people who have BB's on Verizon and no data... snip ...
    Verizon now requires a data plan for ALL BlackBerry devices no matter if they are purchased under contract or not.
    04-19-09 04:11 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD