To the OP, I don't care if someone has a data plan or not.

What's annoying, however, is when those without a data plan come in and ask:
    1. Why can't I get my email, BBM, internet, Google Maps, BBMaps, IM, etc to work without a data plan AND they are MAD about it?

2. What's the "work around" to get those features without paying for them? And they get MAD when they are told there's no work around.

If a user is content with the device as a phone, PDA, MP3 player, text messager and doesn't need email, internet, or IM, then by all means, don't get a data plan. BUT don't get mad when the features that REQUIRE DATA don't work.
    04-19-09 04:16 PM
    If a user is content with the device as a phone, PDA, MP3 player, text messager and doesn't need email, internet, or IM, then by all means, don't get a data plan. BUT don't get mad when the features that REQUIRE DATA don't work.
    End of thread.
    04-19-09 04:17 PM
    My sons girlfriend just bought a BB from T-Mobile, no data plan. She didn't know she needed one but wanted a Curve cause she thought it would be great for texting. She was never told about the data plan or that her BB would be most effective with it. My son was frustrated that he couldn't get Google Maps to work. I explained the whole data plan thing to him and the extra outlay of cash every month isn't an option. The fault is on the salesperson who could have sold her a phone more suited to her needs for WAY less money.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 04:33 PM
    Why would anyone hate on someone that doesn't have a data plan on their BB? Basically someone's hating on someone else that can't even use their phone to its fullest extent? Doesn't even make sense.

Personally idc. Its whatever you can afford. But with me, I HAD to get a data plan. I'm always texting, IMing, on the web, etc. and barely on the phone. The BB's data plan is more expensive than the sidekick's data plan, but my grandma doesn't know that lol
    04-19-09 05:00 PM
    I'm sure most of you don't hate, i'm talking about the ones that actually do, of course they're not gonna speak up in this thread.

Yes we tell them that alot of things will not work without a data plan, but some people say it like they're talking to an incompetent individual. That's the main reason is, they ask cause they don't know. i've not seen people who actually got mad because there's no work around.

NOTHING'S FREE.

I'm just bringing this up because i see alot of it and no one seems to notice.
    04-19-09 05:00 PM
    I disagree that the fault is with the salesperson. The customer needs to make an educated choice. If something like Google Maps or email or internet is important to a user, then they should be sure that they ASK the right questions BEFORE the purchase is made. That's like buying an 8 cylinder heavy duty pickup truck and then being mad that the salesperson didn't tell you that it gets 8 miles per gallon.

And if you aren't knowledgeable to ask the required questions, then you should take someone with you who is.

Plus most carriers have a 15 or 30 day return policy on new devices, so once it was discovered that the device didn't function in the desired manner, the device could have been returned.
    04-19-09 05:07 PM
    I disagree that the fault is with the salesperson. The customer needs to make an educated choice. If something like Google Maps or email or internet is important to a user, then they should be sure that they ASK the right questions BEFORE the purchase is made. That's like buying an 8 cylinder heavy duty pickup truck and then being mad that the salesperson didn't tell you that it gets 8 miles per gallon.

And if you aren't knowledgeable to ask the required questions, then you should take someone with you who is.

Plus most carriers have a 15 or 30 day return policy on new devices, so once it was discovered that the device didn't function in the desired manner, the device could have been returned.
    Gotta agree with this. When I purchased my BB, I knew what I was getting into, and what I needed for my phone to work. AT&T did inform me of the data plan requirement, but I knew before I stepped up to the counter to make the purchase.

I never depend on salespeople to tell me what I need to know. If they do, that's good, but I come armed with research and questions. They wanna sell me something, not necessarily educate me about what I'm thinking about buying. Sometimes they don't even know.
    04-19-09 05:20 PM
    Yes we tell them that alot of things will not work without a data plan, but some people say it like they're talking to an incompetent individual.
    Well then the title of the thread shouldn't be what it is and the problem should be addressed in a different way then. That's why most people think its stupid to hate on something that doesn't have credibility TO be hated on.

Sorry lol. Its the classes I take at school that have me like this
    04-19-09 05:27 PM
    Gotta agree with this. When I purchased my BB, I knew what I was getting into, and what I needed for my phone to work. AT&T did inform me of the data plan requirement, but I knew before I stepped up to the counter to make the purchase.

I never depend on salespeople to tell me what I need to know. If they do, that's good, but I come armed with research and questions. They wanna sell me something, not necessarily educate me about what I'm thinking about buying. Sometimes they don't even know.
    I don't know if the salesperson at Rogers was blind or ignorance, i was buying the Bold the other day, and after the sales was done, she asked me if i had a BB before so i said yes (another bold, which was mine, was right in front of her), she continued to ask me if i knew how to text message or use the internet. -_-
    04-19-09 05:27 PM

While I agree that yes the customer needs to educate themselves before they make the purchase I have to place some of the blame back on the salesperson. As a secret shopper, if that sales person makes no mention of certain criteria such as data plan etc, we write them up big time. The sales reps receive this information during training so they need to share it with the customers. Customers should research before they buy and sales reps need to provide additional information to help the customer make that purchase.
    04-19-09 05:28 PM
    I wouldn't "hate" on someone for not having the data plan,But for me i couldn't own a blackberry without it..

^^^^^^Yeah... what he said!!^^^^^
    04-19-09 05:31 PM
    If the salesperson makes a sale with the data plan, wouldn't that be putting more money in the company's pocket regardless? Lol. Its a win-win situation.

I think they get more commission too. Idk I'm just assuming.
    04-19-09 05:34 PM
    You are aware you just started a hate/ no hate thread on this exact situation that you want people to stop arguing about.
    Just my 0.02

04-19-09 05:37 PM
    I also have unlimited data plan with Sprint here in Phoenix was told to get it to get the most outta my HHHOOT BB (curve) only99 per month not too bad
    04-19-09 05:59 PM
    To the OP, I don't care if someone has a data plan or not.

What's annoying, however, is when those without a data plan come in and ask:
    1. Why can't I get my email, BBM, internet, Google Maps, BBMaps, IM, etc to work without a data plan AND they are MAD about it?

2. What's the "work around" to get those features without paying for them? And they get MAD when they are told there's no work around.

To me, getting a BlackBerry without the data plan is overpaying for a phone, period. There are a lot of feature phones and many non-BB smartphones that are really best suited for the dataplanphobe. Many programs that will work on a WinMo phone, Nokia S60 phone or an iPhone with just Wi-Fi will not work on a BlackBerry with just Wi-Fi and no data plan.

So it's not that I hate on someone who wants a BlackBerry without a data plan. I just don't feel comfortable recommending someone to pay for a whole phone when they'll only be able to use a third of it. My advice, get a BlackBerry data plan or get a different phone that will allow you access to more data features when used exclusively with Wi-Fi.
    Last edited by CeluGeek; 04-19-09 at 07:05 PM.
    04-19-09 07:02 PM
    Some people buy Ferrari's just to drive down the beach going 15Mph so that everyone can see how cool they are.....

If i owned a Ferrari..... i'd drive it the way it was meant to be driven...

the same goes for my cellphones
    04-19-09 07:06 PM
    You are aware you just started a hate/ no hate thread on this exact situation that you want people to stop arguing about.
    Just my 0.02

This is merely addressing an ongoing issue that goes unnoticed.
    04-19-09 07:52 PM
    whether you have a data plan or not it's up to you ......
    but if you get recommended to get one there is no need to get upset or think it's hate .....
    people on here are going to post their opinion on every thread
    04-19-09 08:04 PM
    This is merely addressing an ongoing issue that goes unnoticed.
    How do you know it goes unnoticed?
    04-19-09 08:06 PM
    How do you know it goes unnoticed?
    If it isn't, why do people keep doing it?
    04-19-09 08:09 PM
    Personally, I participated in threads that I've seen some bias towards others for not having a data plan. This is a very touchy topic (especially, if you aren't using data). We're here to help and learn from each other and share our Blackberry fever. For those of us who are guilty, it's better to just skip that thread than post a demeaning statement to someone. Plainly put, if you don't have something nice to say; don't say anything at all. For those not using data, you're going to have a harder time optimizing your bb experience and that's the truth:-)

04-19-09 08:41 PM
    Personally, I participated in threads that I've seen some bias towards others for not having a data plan. This is a very touchy topic (especially, if you aren't using data). We're here to help and learn from each other and share our Blackberry fever. For those of us who are guilty, it's better to just skip that thread than post a demeaning statement to someone. Plainly put, if you don't have something nice to say; don't say anything at all. For those not using data, you're going to have a harder time optimizing your bb experience and that's the truth:-)

Exactly...
    04-19-09 10:50 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD