Hello. I�m currently on Vacation visiting friends, but where I am, I�m about 40 or more minutes away from my friends. They live in the city, I�m currently staying in a small village and it takes a bus, metro and sometimes a tram to get to them. So I use BBM to keep in touch, and find out where they are etc. because the city is very busy.

However last night at a club, my phone was swiped out of my pocket without me noticing because there was an argument going on. I called Vodafone, and they blocked my Phone and SIM. They told me to report it to the police, so I did, it took about 2 hours too...

They requested my IMEI number, but I can�t get a hold of it. Could I call Vodafone to see if they can send me it? Or maybe make an expensive call home to see if someone has the IMEI code on the box of the phone? It�s a BB Torch.

I also found websites such as Track IMEI and was wondering if they worked. If they actually did, the police actually would get my phone back for me. The worst part is that the stuff on the memory card was kinda important. I�m gonna be here for a while and pretty much handicapped without that phone, I also don�t have enough funds to buy a new one over here.

Thanks.
    08-04-11 12:02 PM
    Vodaphone may have it. It can't hurt to ask them. If you have to get the IMEI number, it is on the box your torch came in. I just checked mine.
    08-04-11 12:10 PM
    Vodaphone may have it. It can't hurt to ask them. If you have to get the IMEI number, it is on the box your torch came in. I just checked mine.
    I�m currently waiting to see if someone can email it to me, as I do not have the box with me. If Vodafone had it, I probably would have to go trekking around to find it as each store is far from each other.
    08-04-11 12:13 PM
    If there is any chance of recovering the phone, the police report must have a way to uniquely identify the device, if recovered.

IMEI numbers are similar to a serial number, each phone will have a unique number and an unique serial number. BlackBerry phones go one step further, they also have a unique PIN number.

08-04-11 12:31 PM
    Also don't forget - if you used Blackberry Protect, you can geolocate your BlackBerry and you can lock it yourself from the protect 'panel' online.

At least you might be able to, it depends if the thief knows much or enough about BlackBerry to disable that feature.
    08-04-11 12:39 PM
    If there is any chance of recovering the phone, the police report must have a way to uniquely identify the device, if recovered.

IMEI numbers are similar to a serial number, each phone will have a unique number and an unique serial number. BlackBerry phones go one step further, they also have a unique PIN number.

Also don't forget - if you used Blackberry Protect, you can geolocate your BlackBerry and you can lock it yourself from the protect 'panel' online.

At least you might be able to, it depends if the thief knows much or enough about BlackBerry to disable that feature.
    I've been emailed 2 IMEI numbers, gonna try one now. One I definitely know isn't it because it was for my replacement Storm 2 that I had previously. I've had so many replacements over the past year that it's hard to find it now.

I had Lookout/BlackBerry Protect since they came out, but on this last replacement (I got in Feb or March) I didn't download them again. The phone was password locked, the memory card however, wasn't.

Edit: There's absolutely no way of Vodafone knowing the IMEI number of the phone? When I upgraded to a Torch, I did it via phone & post, not in store. There could be a record of it, right?
    Last edited by thebbnoob; 08-04-11 at 02:55 PM.
    08-04-11 02:33 PM
    Sorry to hear that bro. When the devil takes... You get it back times seven.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-11 05:51 PM
    Sucks that I can't get a hold of the IMEI number... I only have two with me, and neither of those phones are with me anymore.
    08-05-11 03:04 AM
    So it turns out according to some website that the IMEI number that was given to me is for a Nokia. I also can't access my online account, I get an error. I know this is a longshot, but is it possible to claim on insurance abroad if it's by the same network?
    08-06-11 10:19 AM
    I would call Vodafone, the IMEI # should be listed on your account and they should give it to you without any trouble if you are the account holder.
    08-06-11 10:23 AM
    I would call Vodafone, the IMEI # should be listed on your account and they should give it to you without any trouble if you are the account holder.
    I did, and was given a number. It's just that I was checking random ones of other handsets, the information given back was right. The one for my stolen phone though wasn't, so I was curious as if it's right.
    08-06-11 10:30 AM
    If you called them, and that was the IMEI that was active on your account for that device, then unless the rep misread it, it should be right.

Could always call back to confirm.
    08-06-11 10:43 AM
    If you called them, and that was the IMEI that was active on your account for that device, then unless the rep misread it, it should be right.

Could always call back to confirm.
    I would if my brother wasn't being a baby and not letting me borrow his phone to make a FREE phone call.
    08-06-11 12:23 PM
    Two words... BlackBerry Protect.
    08-06-11 01:33 PM
    Two words... BlackBerry Protect.
    Really wish I had it. I did before, but when I got my replacement phone (previous one was faulty), app world kept giving me an error message whenever I tried to download it. So I just left it, and forgot about it. Didn't ever think this would happen.
    08-06-11 07:32 PM
    Yes you should really get BlackBerry Protect. Police are usually too busy to deal with things that are hard to find like a missing phone so unless you know where the phone is or can track it theres a very slim chance you will actually get it back.
    08-06-11 07:34 PM
    Really wish I had it. I did before, but when I got my replacement phone (previous one was faulty), app world kept giving me an error message whenever I tried to download it. So I just left it, and forgot about it. Didn't ever think this would happen.
    Don't let that bother ya. Good chance the guy would know how to disable it anyway or turn off the GPS as was suggested earlier in the thread.

I hate thieves.
    08-06-11 10:57 PM
    I was just emailed by Vodafone another IMEI number, apparently the last one wasn't correct. I've already given the police 2 different numbers, they sure will be pissed. Is there any point giving the 3rd one? This time it's correct because my online account is no longer disabled.
    08-07-11 06:22 AM
    IMEI All the way
    08-07-11 08:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD