i posted earlier regarding my stolen BB, pleading for help, as much as it sux to have it stolen, i was more concerned regarding the info on the device, thankfully, my sister, a fellow BB owner, found this, hope it helps others as it has helped me.

(i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post a url, so i just reposted info fr hayden, hope this was ok)

-posted by: hayden -pinstack admin.
    Research in Motion�s BlackBerry has been a heavy favorite throughout corporate America and more recently Europe. There are two very basic services that RIM delivers to communication-intense organizations using their BlackBerry handheld. They are, seamless email delivery and flexible security solutions that leave competitors such as Palm and Microsoft to imitate rather than innovate.

Many of our readers already own BlackBerry and a large percentage of you are on BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server). We�ve done a quick survey and are quite surprised that many BES end-users have never heard of the Blackberry Enterprise terms such as IT Policy, 3DES, Kill Command, content protection, to name a few. Over the next few weeks we will be featuring brief yet informative articles on these topics and anything BES security related one feature at a time.

Ok let�s start, think �Mission Impossible�, �This message will self-destruct in five seconds.� On Enterprise server the �Kill� command keeps confidential email, private contacts and sensitive data from falling into the wrong hands and thus breaching a company�s security. If your Blackberry device is lost or stolen you can contact your BES administrator who can send a remote �kill� command to the handheld, which will erase all the data as long as the handheld is in a wireless network coverage area. This can be done if the handheld is on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange version 3.6 and later.

The Erase Data and Disable Handheld command is sent wirelessly to a BlackBerry device, erasing all of the device data and disabling it so that it can no longer be used on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. When you send this command, you should also verify whether the command has been sent and received successfully.

The device must be turned on and in an area with sufficient coverage to receive the command. If the device is turned off or out of coverage, the command is queued on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server until the device is turned on or returns to an area with sufficient coverage.
    To be able to view the verify the success of the command, the BlackBerry Policy Service (POLC) logging level must be set to 4.
    *See the Additional Information section at page bottom for instructions on configuring logging levels.

Using the Erase Data and Disable Handheld command
    To send the Erase Data and Disable Handheld command, complete the following steps:
    1. Open BlackBerry Manager.
    2. Click the User List tab.
    3. In the IT Admin section, click Erase Data and Disable Handheld in the list of IT commands.
    4. A dialog box appears, stating that all data will be erased if you proceed. Click Yes.

Determining the success of the command
    To verify that the Erase Data and Disable Handheld command has been sent and received, review the POLC log file. By default, the POLC log file is located in C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\<date>.
    Lines similar to the following are displayed in the POLC log file:
    [40000] (10/03 13:00:52):{0x974}{<user_name>@<domain>,PIN=XXXXXXX X, UserID=1}SCS::PollDBQueueNewRequests - Queuing KILL_DEVICE_REQUEST request

The above line indicates when the command was first sent, and that the command is being queued for the user.
    [40000] (10/03 13:01:15):{0x960} {<user_name>@<domain>, PIN=XXXXXXXX, UserId=1}RequestHandler::HandleITADMINDataCommand - ITPolicy Success Ack for the command KILL_HANDHELD_COMMAND - Processing packet, Tag=23980295

The above line indicates when the BlackBerry device received the command, and that it sent a confirmation of the receipt.
    Note: To search using a string in the log file, search for ITPolicy Success Ack for the command KILL_HANDHELD_COMMAND. Once it is located, you can verify the user associated with the command. Search for this string when the device does not meet the requirements to receive the command when it is first sent.

Additional Information

To configure logging levels, complete the following steps:
    1. In the BlackBerry Server Configuration tool, click the Logging tab.
    2. Select BlackBerry Policy Service and set the Debug Log Level to 4.
    3. Click Apply, then click OK.

-thanks to hayden fr pinstack for this info
    09-24-08 11:10 PM
    Great information, very useful post. I'm sure this will come in handy for many users.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-08 11:12 PM
    thanks for doing all for us. still sorry to hear about your berry
    09-24-08 11:13 PM
    Very nice!! That was some kind of initiative. Kudos to you.
    09-24-08 11:43 PM
    thanks for doing all for us. still sorry to hear about your berry

no problem!
    i had to find some kind of solution.
    just imagine the panic i felt when i lost my BB, being quadrupled, bc immediately, i thought about all the info tht could get in the wrong hands, which is far more valuable then the device itself. i'd like to help anyone fr freaking out like i did.

and as much as i am going through withdrawals right now w/o "MAX" (yes, i named my BB) the insurance is sending me a new one within a couple days, so {sigh of relief} i'm getting over it.

just help wish for me that the "express" service sending my new BB, really is EXPRESS
    09-25-08 12:06 AM
    Yeah that is for BES user but for us regular people you can kill the BB by calling your service provider and that phone can't be used anymore but as far as the information I don't think that can be erased like what you said.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-08 12:16 AM
    Yep that's just for BES - no such luck with BIS
    09-25-08 12:26 AM
    for those not on BES, there is this app called ROBLOCK, get this app, i sure will once i get the new one.
    09-25-08 01:16 AM
    09-25-08 01:17 AM
    Once you issue the "Erase Data and Disable Handheld" command, can the handheld be re-enabled? I can see one of our people losing it, calling me to kill it, and then finding it and wanting it restored. If all I need to do is re-activate, then it's no big deal.
    02-06-09 07:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD