Hello,

I had my 2 week old (sob) Blackberry stolen yesterday evening (sob!) VERY annoyed, aside from the pain of losing my numbers, photos and especially text messages, I am VERY concerned that whoever stole it will be able to access the 2 email accounts registered on it and my facebook and myspace applications!? O2 told me that they won't be able to access them as they have disabled the handset and sim, and they would need to have 'GPS' (?) to access it. On hearing that I felt a little relieved, however it strikes me that surely if they just put a new sim inside they will be able to access it.... ? Does anyone know?

As far as I'm aware I've taken all the necessary steps but I'm still worrying.

'ELP!!

x
    11-29-08 04:51 PM
    Ugh, my worst nightmare.

But FWIW I believe a new SIM card would wipe the thing, including your existing files (emails) AND the account/pin info on it.
    11-29-08 04:57 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry

Replacing the SIM card does not affect the data saved on the BlackBerry.

The only security is the password. If you have enabled it and set it to locked or set a timeout, you are safe from prying eyes.

If the password was not set, all of your data and personal information is now in the hands of a thief. There is nothing to prevent them from hijacking your identity.

Fortunately, the vast majority of the time, the thief is only interested in the resale value of a hot device. The odds are good the buyer will wipe the device and use it as their own.

However, that is not guaranteed.
    11-29-08 05:06 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry

Replacing the SIM card does not affect the data saved on the BlackBerry.

The only security is the password. If you have enabled it and set it to locked or set a timeout, you are safe from prying eyes.

If the password was not set, all of your data and personal information is now in the hands of a thief. There is nothing to prevent them from hijacking your identity.

Fortunately, the vast majority of the time, the thief is only interested in the resale value of a hot device. The odds are good the buyer will wipe the device and use it as their own.

However, that is not guaranteed.
    I shouldn't have even bothered, being a non-SIM Verizon girl.

Sigh .. what a bummer for him.
    11-29-08 05:13 PM
    hi kemw82

I am sorry for your lost
    11-29-08 05:14 PM
    Hello,

O2 told me that they won't be able to access them as they have disabled the handset and sim, and they would need to have 'GPS' (?) to access it.
    x
    I could be wrong in my thinking but if the GPS your referring to is the Global Positioning... then once they active that could your berry not be traced via the PIN ?

Or is that just wishful thinking??
    11-29-08 05:56 PM
    Now I'm totally freaking out!! I hadn't enabled a password!! ****! Can they really steal my identity!?
    11-29-08 07:15 PM
    Now I'm totally freaking out!! I hadn't enabled a password!! ****! Can they really steal my identity!?
    Calm down. Unless you stored your ssn or other sensitive information on the device, then no.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-08 07:37 PM
    If you reset the passwords to your e-mail accounts, they won't get pushed to the device until the thief enters the new password (which they won't know).
    11-29-08 07:40 PM
    Thanks everyone!!
    11-29-08 07:56 PM
    For your next berry, you might want to look into a product called Roblock. You'll have to google it. It's a piece of software, and a website. If your phone is stollen, you can log onto the website and remotely wipe your phone. If your gps is enabled, you can even find out where your phone is (sorry Verizon customers, that's the part that doesn't work for you).
    11-30-08 03:52 PM
    Keep that lock on it for the future. I hope it all worked out for you in the long run!!!!
    12-15-08 11:58 PM
    +1 on locking it. I had some prying eyes several months ago and it got me paranoid. Since, I've keep it locked. Sorry for your loss- that really sucks.

(Not to threadjack, but you all made me think of a related q): If the BB wipes clean due to incorrect passwords, will it also wipe the memory card, or just the internal stuff?
    12-16-08 12:04 AM
    I'm really sorry to hear that someone would be so cruel and take your phone! That's just messed up
    12-16-08 12:13 AM
    +1 on locking it. I had some prying eyes several months ago and it got me paranoid. Since, I've keep it locked. Sorry for your loss- that really sucks.

(Not to threadjack, but you all made me think of a related q): If the BB wipes clean due to incorrect passwords, will it also wipe the memory card, or just the internal stuff?
    After the wipe, the phone will be memorywise, the way it was when came out of the box. Anything on the media card will NOT be touched, as it was not part of the phone out of the box, and can be accessed by anyone now using that phone. Only hope for the memory card, would be if you use data encryption for the media card, then it could only be read using the BB it was encrypted on. But that would not keep the new person from reformatting the card in a computer or the BB so they could use it.
    12-16-08 02:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD