So my blackberry got stolen while i was working out a few days ago, along with some other peoples phones, some wallets, and a set of those thousand dollar laser cut audi keys ( i feel sorry for the audi owner)... lots of stuff so we notified the police who never found anyone that night...

earlier I walked in the locker room as the thieves were walking out (or the ones i suspected were)They looked about high school age so i told my younger brother to keep a look out at school... he went above and beyond, got ones of his friends that hangs out with this group (they are sort of the wannabe gang member type). That kid found the kid who stole my phone got it to my brother who then got it to me..

WOOT got my Bberry back... But the story isn't over and now i don't know what to do

So now my brothers friend, my brother, and I all know one of the kids that was involved in this locker room heist. Since there were more items involved than just my phone, i feel like i'm very liable here. I don't know the legal term but it seems my brother, his friend, and I are all obstructing justice or withholding information or something of the sort. So I feel at risk not notifying the cops that i got the phone back and know one of the persons involved.

AT the same time I don't want to tell the cops, get the kids in trouble, and jeopardize my brother and his friends safety since they are the only ones who could have known. The group that stole the stuff is sort of like gang related (we live in a fairly small town so they are really just wannabes but i still don't like it, one could snap because they all act very tough). I don't want to get my brother and his friend on bad terms with them... mostly just for safety reasons.

So what do you think?
    01-22-09 12:04 AM
    Did you file a police report?
    01-22-09 12:06 AM
    Yes, but that was before i got the phone back and knew who did it... and since they stole other things that were also reported i feel like i'm withholding information from the police.
    01-22-09 12:08 AM
    If you fail to report that you have recovered it then yes you are breaking the law(Possesion of Stolen Property). However, I doubt anyone will ever know.
    01-22-09 12:11 AM
    You are with holding information. I would think that would not be a smart thing for you. I think it is your responsibility to report it.
    01-22-09 12:12 AM
    You are with holding information. I would think that would not be a smart thing for you. I think it is your responsibility to report it.
    You are not withholding information unless you are asked!!!
    01-22-09 12:15 AM
    Hey so i read a summary of the possesion of stolen property law... and as far as i can tell it seems that it is targeted at people who bought something or were given something with the knowledge that it was stolen, while i just got back what i originally possessed... any more info on that?
    01-22-09 12:27 AM
    If you reported the property stolen to the police then it is "Stolen Property". Now I have no idea if your local PD will register it as stolen in NCIC.

Here is the bottom line, the chances of you getting in trouble over having the phone are ZERO (it's your phone). Your quetion is a moral decision which you and you alone can make.

If you want the PD to know who the suspect(s) are drop a line to the Crime Stoppers line. No one has to know it was you!!!!!
    01-22-09 12:31 AM
    Forget the legal aspect for a second.

You got your phone back and your brother is OK with a group
    of thugs-lite? Is that all you care about?

There are other people who had things stolen and the people
    that stole them should be held accountable. And only you and
    your brother can make that happen.

You mentioned that wallets were stolen also. With that the
    thieves have the home addresses of people you see often.
    Some of whom you may even call your friends.
    How are you going to feel if the thieves use that information
    to cause these people harm.

This is such a no brainer it ain't even funny. Tell the police
    all that you know. Or be selfish and self centered and
    celebrate getting your phone back, the h3ll with the loss or
    possible harm that can come to the others.

.:end of rant:.
    01-22-09 12:41 AM
    The only thing required for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 12:54 AM
    The only thing required for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing.
    OK shorter than my rant and way more to the point
    01-22-09 12:57 AM
    If you reported the property stolen to the police then it is "Stolen Property". Now I have no idea if your local PD will register it as stolen in NCIC.

Here is the bottom line, the chances of you getting in trouble over having the phone are ZERO (it's your phone). Your quetion is a moral decision which you and you alone can make.
    It can't be registered in NCIC unless he has the serial number.

However you may not get into trouble you will definitely be detained until they can verify that your the owner. Now personally that sounds like a whole lotta trouble I wouldn't want to deal with.

The fact however is you are obstructing justice by with holding information. Not only that but your throwing your friends under the bus. I eould definitely be pissed if I found out my friend knew who stole my credit cards, license, cash, etc and for the love of god they are bb theives. Personally I think that deserves capital punishment

01-22-09 12:59 AM
    It can't be registered in NCIC unless he has the serial number.
    Most BB owners have the serial number as they love their BB's soooooooooo much!!
    01-22-09 01:02 AM
    Haha I guess I'm just not up to the caliber of some other people around here.
    01-22-09 01:17 AM
    If someone took my BB and I found out who they were.......they would go to the police and report the asswhooping they got from me.
    01-22-09 01:42 AM
    do not underestimate a gang because they are "small town" If this town is as small as you say, the local PD should already be aware of this gang, and I really doubt this is the first time they've stolen. I'd go to the police with what you know.
    01-22-09 03:12 AM
    You are not withholding information unless you are asked!!!
    Its called aiding and abetting. A felony. CALL THE COPS AND TELL THEM EVERYTHING. Your brother won't get in trouble as long as he co-operates with the PD. Lead by example, do the right thing. Make the phone call.
    01-22-09 03:33 AM
    Its called aiding and abetting. A felony. CALL THE COPS AND TELL THEM EVERYTHING. Your brother won't get in trouble as long as he co-operates with the PD. Lead by example, do the right thing. Make the phone call.
    Where did you get this "Felony" out of Aiding and Abetting? Not to mention what he is describing is not Aiding and Abetting. There is no General Statute that says you must tell the police what you know. If you are subpoened to court to testify and lie then you are in violation of the law.

I think you were looking for Felony Conspiracy which does not apply here!

Don't miscontrue what I'm saying here, he should go to the PD and tell them what transpired, but don't post things when you have no idea what you are talking about!!!!!
    01-22-09 03:43 AM
    I just want to add one thing or at least a few statments. We all know what would be the right thing to do here. Inform the police would be it. But not always that easy, what is easy is for us to tell him what to do judge him and have none of it fall back on us. If it was my brother I'd make sure he wasn't involved and lecture him on his friends / crew he kicks it with. But I'd not speak a word of it. It is all just items. As the way you said it there were no weapons or drugs or rape involved. I'm not saying its right to be honest I'd of delt with it my self or called the police as well. But when you have family memember your 411 to the police can be traced back too, that's a whole dif story. Unless this was violent, drug, or weapon related. I'd protect my family 1st and formost. With that said you did say wanna be so you will have to gage if they seem to be a threat. Or if there is a way to do while staying un named. But your bro getting you phone back makes me think that be hard.

I live in Green Bay, WI not realy a gangsta paradice but for sure not the best place in the US to live. And there is a few people who have been shut up / beat up / even killed for comming forward.

( Tom Monfils ) was killed for reporting a theft of an extension cord to his boss's at a local plant look it up. True story........

Life vs Extension Cord ~ I ll take life

I bet his family wished he wouldn't of came forward I'm sure they are proud of him but rather have him in their lives.....

Please don't judge me to harshly like I said if this was, Murder, Rape, Drugs anything that would pose a danger then I would risk my life to come forward.....

01-22-09 05:09 AM
    Take time out and read about this guy.

It touches on the LAW, and what rights americans have.

It just aint worth it

Reporting a Crime, Then Dying for It - Los Angeles Times

01-22-09 05:14 AM
    Is the word you're looking for "accomplice"?

Isn't there like an anonymous tip line like crime stoppers that you can call?
    01-22-09 05:21 AM
    Ya but he got his phone back with the help from his brother and his brothers friend. So the theifs must know someone knows.

Get a lock for at the gym.

Let the gym know anonymously and see if they don't catch em in the act.

01-22-09 05:43 AM
    You know how pi**ed you were when you found out your phone had been stolen? That is how pi**ed the other people are that didn't recover their property!

This is a moral and ethical decision. I would atleast consider giving an anonymous tip to crimestoppers. I can understand the fear factor because I live in a small town with some of the same problems. The problem gets worse when people ignore it. Pretty soon you got a bunch of teens running around like some John Gotti wannabes.

Good luck making a decision! There are always shades of gray between black and white.

01-22-09 06:29 AM
    [QUOTE=coachcurtisbusse;1470798].

Please don't judge me to harshly like I said if this was, Murder, Rape, Drugs anything that would pose a danger then I would risk my life to come forward.....

Criminals start with "small" things such as theft. When they get bored they move onto rape and murder.

This theft could possibly lead to these things. They have stolen wallets that contain personal information. They may decide to go to the homes of these people and see what else they can steal. Once criminals get comfortable and aren't caught the first few times they get brave.....suddenly them killing for a few bucks isn't such a bad idea to them.

I understand being fearful, but if everyone felt this way we would really be in a bad place.
    01-22-09 08:03 AM
    In your post you sound like you feel guilty about not saying anything. Personally I couldn't take that guilt, especially seeing those people at the gym all the time. Id say something.

01-22-09 09:17 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD