I claimed in the past that OMAP5 SoC from TI, which for sure will make the gap in term of performances and power consumption, will be commercially available end of this year and has been sampled to manufacturers since mid-2012.
    Archos which already owns the speediest tablet available with its G101 XS based on OMAP4470 will put on the market before end of this year its new ARCHOS G11, offering the OMAP5430 based on dual-core Cortex A15 @ 2 GHz and PowerVR SGX544 MP2 @ 532 MHz + 2D dedicated core. This one will defitavely put a new mark in performances.

ArchosFans.com - News, Rumors and Reviews Story Archos G11 release by end of year, include levitating robots

So I still hope rumours about quad-core cortex-A9 S4 in BB10 devices are wrong !
    08-29-12 07:52 AM
    Agreed, if you're going to make a premium flagship device, don't go one step above the competition, go one giant LEAP!
    08-29-12 08:26 AM
    I'm sure the devices will already be built and ready to ship before the chipset is ready. Remember RIM has to get carrier testing done and what are they supposed to do people, build a device for them then have shells waiting around till TI ships out the OMAP5, or once again delay release on the line of devices again simple because they want the latest and greatest hardware, not going to happen. If that's the case they might as well pull a Page out of androids books and come out with a new device every few months but logically that's not going to happen either.

I'm all for RIM using the latest stuff its just wishful thinking at that point
    pcguy514 likes this.
    08-29-12 08:47 AM
    In terms of the market they have to find a place of cost efficiency. It's odd that they use Snapdragons already in BB phones and TIs in the Playbook. I wonder what kind of processors will be in BB10 phones in 2013.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-29-12 11:52 AM
    The OMAP looks to be the real deal but it's probably too late for the current devices built. It might show up in other models, or one could hope that the first batch sells out and OMAPs go into the new production
    08-29-12 12:04 PM
    ... Archos which already owns the speediest tablet available with its G101 XS based on OMAP4470 will put on the market before end of this year its new ARCHOS G11, offering the OMAP5430 based on dual-core Cortex A15 @ 2 GHz and PowerVR SGX544 MP2 @ 532 MHz + 2D dedicated core. ...
    ArchosFans.com - News, Rumors and Reviews Story Archos G11 release by end of year, include levitating robots
    Well, maybe, OMAP 5 would be a logical next step for Archos, who makes some nice stuff. But, seriously, levitating robots? I'm afraid you linked to an April Fool's joke. "Archos G11 also includes a $299 child-sized robot skew that can do your laundry, cook your food, wash your dishes, vacuum clean, clean your house and entertain your children."

By the way, for others reading this thread (the OP is apparently also in France) ... here in France (where Archos is headquartered), we also have April Fool's jokes (called "poissons d'avril" or "April fish").

| April Fools' Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

April Fools' Day is celebrated in different countries on April 1 every year. Sometimes referred to as All Fools' Day, April 1 is not a national holiday, but is widely recognized and celebrated as a day when people play practical jokes and hoaxes on each other.

In France and Italy, children and adults traditionally tack paper fishes on each other's back as a trick and shout "April fish!" in their local languages (poisson d'avril! and pesce d'aprile! in French and Italian, respectively.
    Last edited by VerryBestr; 08-29-12 at 02:56 PM.
    08-29-12 02:54 PM
    oups! didn't saw date !
    Forget me
    Anyway, OMAP5, OMAP5, OMPA5...
    08-29-12 02:58 PM
    The OMAP looks to be the real deal but it's probably too late for the current devices built. It might show up in other models, or one could hope that the first batch sells out and OMAPs go into the new production
    True... but what's wrong with the Snapdragon S4? That one's pretty awesome.
    08-29-12 03:04 PM
    Right, but TI SoC have always been ahead of competition, in terms of capabilities, power efficiency and raw processing power. And Cortex A9 will be "has been" for high-end devices in 2013
    08-29-12 03:44 PM
    Well so far that only thing about the first N and L series devices are that the hardware is finished, and that they're rocking Snapdragon S4s (not sure which model, but it's a new one that isn't in any other device yet).
    08-29-12 04:09 PM
    Right, but TI SoC have always been ahead of competition, in terms of capabilities, power efficiency and raw processing power. And Cortex A9 will be "has been" for high-end devices in 2013
    Qualcomm doesn't actually use the Cortex A9 design, only the instruction set (similar to the way that AMD builds Intel-compatible CPUs). Qualcomm says their processor design is faster.

But I agree that the TI SoC is really interesting and advanced. I like the idea of the 2D composition engine, which appeared on the 4470 and will continue in OMAP 5. This can handle most of the work needed for user interfaces (combining 2D objects and images, such as windows and option boxes etc., with or without partial transparancy in the layers). This means that the GPU can fired up only when it is really needed, typically for 3D or other heavy calculations, and it can be dedicated to those needs.

If RIM has QNX/BB10 running on both the Snapdragon and OMAP processors, that's great. It means RIM can chose the best processor at the moment when it comes out with a new product.
    08-29-12 04:48 PM
    If the OMAP 5 doesn't generate enough socket win in the WIN8 RT tablet market, there probably won't be another one released by TI.
    There is a lot of pressure on TI both internally and externally to examine the SOC business and whether it warrants the on-going investment given the continued revenue slide and margin erosion. Chances are they are going to put the SOC business up for sale if there is no significant uptick in OMAP 5 revenue.
    08-29-12 05:16 PM
    I used to think it was OMAP5 also but with the latest rumors I have a feeling they're just going to go for S4 Pro. Which isn't A9 btw. Snapdragon's new (current) architecture is called Krait which is almost as good as a Cortex A15.

But either SoC they go with is good enough. S4 offers good power efficiency and good processing power too.

I just want to see the benchmarks for the Adreno 320. I think it will be comparable to the OMAP5.

Plus if RIM wanted to use the OMAPs. I think they'd have to delay their phones again. Chip shortage and not being able to get first dibs.
    08-30-12 11:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD