I remember when Wozniak's comments hit the wire, people laughed and sneered; now we're clamorimg for ways to access android apps as proof that the app gap is closed. There are even comments about blackberry being better at running Android apps than android devices.

What the heck happened to us... Android has her tentacles in us and I don't know if she'll ever let us go. How long before the press starting calling BB10 a fork of Android? I mean some celebrity is building a BBRY KEYBOARD for an iPhone & the articles are talking about the iPhone being a better Blackberry.

Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak believes BlackBerry will ultimately have to switch to Android | CrackBerry.com
    12-07-13 10:56 PM
    Blackberry will never switch to Android. It'll be acquired by some other company before that happens.
    12-07-13 10:58 PM
    blackberry is running android now? i didn't know...
    12-07-13 10:59 PM
    I think it won't switch but selling a true android phone, then we can choose to buy it or buy the BlackBerry 10 phone,which is keeping BlackBerry 10 and open a new line for android version

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 11:02 PM
    blackberry is running android now? i didn't know...
    Not running kitkat but you get my point. Posts on the app gap being closed, posts on Amazon allowing downloads, posts on dual OS...

We're relying on someone else's generosity to get things developers weren't willing to provide so now we're on the android teet.

If that Seacrest keyboard is half way decent, are we going to be left with security only as the sole selling point?
    jason9900, amjass12 and cckgz4 like this.
    12-07-13 11:04 PM
    Not running kitkat but you get my point. Posts on the app gap being closed, posts on Amazon allowing downloads, posts on dual OS...

We're relying on someone else's generosity to get things developers weren't willing to provide so now we're on the android teet.

If that Seacrest keyboard is half way decent, are we going to be left with security only as the sole selling point?
    You haven't used BlackBerry 10 if you think "physical keyboards" is one of the only selling points...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-07-13 11:06 PM
    Did he also predict Mac would switch to Windows. Putting Android runtime on BlackBerry is technical the same as the several ways to run Windows on the Mac, such as Parallels.
    12-07-13 11:07 PM
    Did he also predict Mac would switch to Windows. Putting Android runtime on BlackBerry is technical the same as the several ways to run Windows on the Mac, such as Parallels.
    Exactly...BlackBerry isn't running on Android...it simply SUPPORTS the Android Runtime for apps...maybe not all of them, but a lot of then now.

This is called flexibility, in my opinion. That does not mean BlackBerry will switch to an Android OS...and I don't see that happening either
    12-07-13 11:11 PM
    BlackBerry switching to full android would be a incredible waste of money... BlackBerry 10 is a unique OS. Another android isn't.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-07-13 11:12 PM
    You haven't used BlackBerry 10 if you think "physical keyboards" is one of the only selling points...
    Whatever selling points are out there, they aren't working well enough. Speaking off selling, there are a ton of comments of posters suggesting that BBRY somehow advertise the ability to run Android apps.

If I recall 6 months ago, all the chatter was around apps coming "soon"... Now it's hey, Android yeah!

So outside of security, what's the hook for business besides security now (not even considering consumers at this point).
    12-07-13 11:13 PM
    BlackBerry switching to full android would be a incredible waste of money... BlackBerry 10 is a unique OS. Another android isn't.
    The company also wrote down a $1bn & put itself up for sale before not being for sale... "Incredible waste of money"... Indeed.
    cwalt2166, JeepBB and litig8or98 like this.
    12-07-13 11:15 PM
    Except for the fact that parallels is a separate company from Apple, and not the same as BlackBerry supporting and developing a separate runtime for its own operating system.

I can run bluestacks on my windows surface pro, is Microsoft switching to android now? NO, separate developer entirely.

So no, its not the same at all .
    12-07-13 11:15 PM
    Whatever selling points are out there, they aren't working well enough. Speaking off selling, there are a ton of comments of posters suggesting that BBRY somehow advertise the ability to run Android apps.

If I recall 6 months ago, all the chatter was around apps coming "soon"... Now it's hey, Android yeah!

So outside of security, what's the hook for business besides security now (not even considering consumers at this point).
    Made for BlackBerry apps are still coming as well...but it's nice to have access to the non-native Android apps as well.

Security is still huge from a business perspective and for many consumers as well.

I'm in favour of what BlackBerry is doing with the app situation...keep improving the android runtime.
    Eri Widjaja likes this.
    12-07-13 11:16 PM
    I would never buy a BlackBerry if BlackBerry goes android. Hub is the most important thing to me and whatever apps I get is bonus for me.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur, rarsen, srfinva and 3 others like this.
    12-07-13 11:17 PM
    In theory, could the BB team have used Android to get to the same result as the QNX based software? In terms of gestures, hub, etc, would that have been possible with an Android skin?

I don't know the answer myself, but that could have saved lots of time and money from buying QNX and essentially starting from scratch.
    12-07-13 11:19 PM
    This is called flexibility, in my opinion. That does not mean BlackBerry will switch to an Android OS...and I don't see that happening either
    You're right about the flexibility but my concern is around the reliance on Android for what many people now consider core to any smartphone, apps.

What happened to the pride of not using a ported app in lieu of a natively developed one...

We all know how the press treats this company, BB10 is another fork of Android... Not today, nor tomm, but this eagerness to climb into bed w/ Google will leave us and the company worse for wear.
    phoneaddict78 likes this.
    12-07-13 11:20 PM
    I would never buy a BlackBerry if BlackBerry goes android. Hub is the most important thing to me and whatever apps I get is bonus for me.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry can still incorporate a hub if it switches to Android.
    In fact, they can make it look EXACTLY like bb10 right now, optimize the software and you probably wont even notice (except for all the new google services icons, and usage tracking).
    12-07-13 11:20 PM
    Gotta wonder if Chen has an Android based BlackBerry on the drawing board.
    southlander and anon(4185604) like this.
    12-07-13 11:23 PM

It's called poor marketing.... nothing to do with the bb10 product sucking...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    Paisley Pirate likes this.
    12-07-13 11:24 PM
    Except for the fact that parallels is a separate company from Apple, and not the same as BlackBerry supporting and developing a separate runtime for its own operating system.

I can run bluestacks on my windows surface pro, is Microsoft switching to android now? NO, separate developer entirely.

So no, its not the same at all .
    Fair enough about Parallels but then how do you explain Bootcamp?
    Paisley Pirate likes this.
    12-07-13 11:25 PM
    It's called poor marketing.... nothing to do with the bb10 product sucking...
    I completely agree that BB10 is good but I'm not willing to lay $1bn loss at the feet of a marketing department. The fact that I had a learning curve from my 9900 to the Z10 (never mind the continued glitches) are things that caused the platform to languish in my opinion.

Samsung is planning to spend $14bn in fy14, who the heck can compete with that... Someone who has a superior product that sells itself; BB10 doesn't sell itself... & now needs Google's ecosystem to remain in the convo
    KoreyTM likes this.
    12-07-13 11:33 PM
    Gotta wonder if Chen has an Android based BlackBerry on the drawing board.
    It would be a shrewd move. Keep the security, keyboard, hub & get all the apps. Development costs can then be focused on improving security & BBM.

You can then reduce your staff further since you're not improving the entire OS.
    ccbs likes this.
    12-07-13 11:36 PM
    I completely agree that BB10 is good but I'm not willing to lay $1bn loss at the feet of a marketing department. The fact that I had a learning curve from my 9900 to the Z10 (never mind the continued glitches) are things that caused the platform to languish in my opinion.

Samsung is planning to spend $14bn in fy14, who the heck can compete with that... Someone who has a superior product that sells itself; BB10 doesn't sell itself... & now needs Google's ecosystem to remain in the convo
    Samsung, HTC,LG,Huawei,sailfish OS, etc all rely on the Google ecosystem. Samsung Products are not superior products that sell themselves... thats just wrong.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-07-13 11:38 PM
    I am concerned about BlackBerry's ability at or even awareness of the level of support needed to keep on top of updates etc. If this is meant for all BB users going forward, including the average user, it can't be seen to be a poor imitation in which many apps sort of work/sort of don't. Joe Average would then see it as just another pratfall. Does BBRY have to be all over the apps to prevent this? Do a major push to encourage use of BB World? That's a lot of resources needed. IMO it's quite a big risk for BBRY.

And I must say it's a terrible Catch-22 because if BBRY does a good job at the above I truly can't see native development surviving with the possible exception of a scattering of diehard devs doing it more for pride or love of the platform.
    randall2580, KoreyTM and andy957 like this.
    12-07-13 11:42 PM
    A BlackBerry Android? What an incredible waste of space. I think the direction they are going with emulation is just fine. Putting a full Android OS on a BlackBerry will really be the death knell. It will be complete desperation that forces them in that direction and I will lose all respect for the CEO who makes that decision if I haven't already. Just my two cents.
    12-07-13 11:46 PM
1,193 123 ...