I plan to buy an unlocked Classic from Amazon. Am I correct in assuming that the SIM card in the 9930 is married to Sprint and moving it to the new phone/new carrier will not work? And that I will buy a SIM card from AT&T when I set up the new service/account? (Or do I not understand how SIM cards work?)

I've never changed carriers before-- been with Sprint since day one. But the coverage isn't working for me anymore.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    01-16-15 06:25 AM
    Assuming your contract is up with Sprint, then yes you just get a nano SIM card from AT&T, port your number over and you should be good to go. I use BlackBerry Link to switch my information over. Make sure to back your contacts from your current SIM card onto your device first so that it moves with the switch.

Posted via Classic
    01-16-15 06:57 AM
    I plan to buy an unlocked Classic from Amazon. Am I correct in assuming that the SIM card in the 9930 is married to Sprint and moving it to the new phone/new carrier will not work? And that I will buy a SIM card from AT&T when I set up the new service/account? (Or do I not understand how SIM cards work?)

I've never changed carriers before-- been with Sprint since day one. But the coverage isn't working for me anymore.
    You're gonna need another sim card, Sprints will not work. I plan on moving all my lines to AT T. Staring in August with my line and then as my other phones come off contract i'll move them over. Sprints coverage where I'm at is phenomenal but they don't carry BlackBerry's like they use to so I'm done settling for crap. I use a q10 but not by choice...it was the only thing sprint had. The Q10 has grown on me but coming from a 9930 I would have rather had the Z10 or Z30 (Sprint was suppose to carry these phones) to use cause a keyboard phone without a trackpad to me is super stupid. Keyboard + Trackpad = Productivity and Accuracy. I don't know what I would call the Q10.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    01-16-15 07:24 AM
    Device switch app from BlackBerry store works good

Z 30
    01-16-15 08:39 AM
    I didn't think the SIM card from Sprint would work. That's mostly what I wanted to know, so thanks.

Re transferring info to new phone: I back up everything to my computer using the BlackBerry Desktop software. When I got this BB, I used the that software to transfer all contacts, etc. from my BlackBerry Style. I can use that method again with the Classic, right?

My contract with Sprint is NOT up until November, and I don't know how much luck I'm going to have breaking it.My case is that I've been a Sprint customer for over 20 years. Where I used to live, I got good Sprint coverage--no prob.

However, I have NEVER been able to get good coverage at work. When I get a voicemail (which mysteriously I DO get although the phone does not ring), I just go out in the parking lot to return calls, along with all the other Sprint customers (and smokers).

I moved to a new house two years ago, and now I get minimal Sprint coverage at home. I'm in roaming in my own living room! Sprint sent me a free Airave booster antenna and it helps, but calls still drop, and I have to remain in one place when I find a good connection. I also have to stay within range of the antenna, and the range is quite good, unless I walk out the door talking on the phone when I take my dogs for a walk. Then the call drops when I get across the street. I don't do this often, but it's annoying. Also the Airave stopped working one day and Sprint had to send me a new one.

So now I don't get coverage worth a crap at home OR at work.

Also I've been reading that AT&T is offering a deal to people who switch from Verizon. So maybe they will do something for me. I already have AT&T internet service.

I'm going to give it a try. Advice welcome.
    01-16-15 09:00 AM
    Definitely shop around for carriers. Can make a huge difference.

Also, I recommend using BB Link to migrate to a new phone, it will transfer more data than Device Switcher.
    01-16-15 10:11 AM
    Device switch app from BlackBerry store works good

Z 30
    +1

Q10  The Other Crackberry Pirate  Z30 | via CB10
    01-16-15 10:14 AM
    Why not use BlackBerry desktop to migrate data?
    01-16-15 10:39 AM
    You can't. BB Desktop does not work with BB10 products. BB Link is now used. BB Link worked perfectly to migrate me from my Curve to Classic, BBM chat, Notes, Tasks, and most everything else.
    01-16-15 11:10 AM
    You can't. BB Desktop does not work with BB10 products. BB Link is now used. BB Link worked perfectly to migrate me from my Curve to Classic, BBM chat, Notes, Tasks, and most everything else.
    Now THAT is a helpful answer. Thank you.

Does BB Link back up your stuff to your computer?
    01-16-15 03:00 PM
    Now THAT is a helpful answer. Thank you.

Does BB Link back up your stuff to your computer?
    Yes, but as you probably guessed, only with BB10 products.
    01-16-15 04:44 PM
    How does BB Link work to migrate data, etc. from my 9930 to the Classic? What connects to what in what order by what means? Computer-phone1-phone 2-wireless- bluetooth?

(And then presumably, once everything is on the Classic, I use BB Link to back up the Classic to my computer?)
    01-16-15 08:39 PM
    Easier. No need to back up. Everything transfer
    Again "Device switch app" from BlackBerry store

And there is a video about that in the sticky of the Classic thread
    Z 30
    01-16-15 09:23 PM
    I don't think you can open up an account with AT&T with a device that they don't currently carry. I could be wrong but you will most likely have to get a device with your plan and then put the SIM card into your classic.
    01-16-15 09:39 PM
    I don't think you can open up an account with AT&T with a device that they don't currently carry. I could be wrong but you will most likely have to get a device with your plan and then put the SIM card into your classic.
    Sure you can as I have one. I'm Canadian having a Canadian Z 30 on their network. And prior to the Z it was a Canadian windows phone

Z 30
    01-16-15 09:46 PM
    Tomorrow if I have time I'll get a n att sim for my classic from BlackBerry shop

Z 30
    01-16-15 09:49 PM
    Sure you can as I have one. I'm Canadian having a Canadian Z 30 on their network. And prior to the Z it was a Canadian windows phone

Z 30
    No I don't mean you can't use the phone, but will they let you open up a line with them without purchasing a device with it?
    01-16-15 09:51 PM
    Yes. I have a US phone number
    the sim card is free
    Z 30
    01-16-15 10:17 PM
    the sim card is free
    I should specify that I am on go phone with them $ 60 . 00 / months. 2.5 gb of data high-speed then throttle after. No contract and it can be changed at will.
    01-16-15 10:21 PM
    Damn cannot delete double post

Z 30
    01-16-15 10:26 PM
    the sim card is free
    I should specify that I am on go phone with them $ 60 . 00 / months. 2.5 gb of data high-speed then throttle after. No contract and it can be changed at will.
    Well having GoPhone is completely different. That's pay as you go and is a different animal. I'm talking about opening up a line with them under contract.
    01-16-15 10:48 PM
    Why would you want a contract when you can be out of it

Z 30
    01-17-15 06:40 AM
    How does BB Link work to migrate data, etc. from my 9930 to the Classic? What connects to what in what order by what means? Computer-phone1-phone 2-wireless- bluetooth?

(And then presumably, once everything is on the Classic, I use BB Link to back up the Classic to my computer?)
    All well stated in the Classic manual here. Page 35 is start.
    01-17-15 07:15 AM
    Why would you want a contract when you can be out of it

Z 30
    Several reasons. You can get data plans cheaper under contract, especially now with all of the carriers fighting for customers and their data programs. My family has 3 lines with 30GG per month for $150 after taxes which equates to 10GB each line with unlimited everything else for $50 total each line. They also have data rollover now which will give additional data each month. You can also get your phone insured through the carrier. Unless you get your phone insured through an outside source if something happens to your Z30 you are stuck with it because AT&T isn't going to replace your phone if it isn't a phone that they carry or have at some point carried.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with Go Phone but I would assume that since the OP had a contracted plan with Sprint that he would get a contract with AT&T. He'd have to get a contract if he wanted AT&T to help him out of his current contract. They aren't going to offer any assistance with his ETF with Sprint unless he signs a contract with them.
    01-17-15 08:29 AM
    All well stated in the Classic manual here. Page 35 is start.
    Terse, yet informative. I like that in a post. Thank you.
    01-17-15 11:15 AM
41 12