During the earnings call JC says they are getting out of hardware.
    Then they release the DTEK60.
    Now he is committing to release a keyboard phone.
    So... they are not out of hardware?

I can't make sense of it.
    I thought all along he was playing the fool now I am not so sure he was playing.
    Can someone explain this to me?
    Is an Extinction Level Event coming and I missed the memo?
    11-10-16 08:05 PM
    I believe the Mercury project was cancelled, but was revived after a potential licencee wanted BlackBerry to test the pkb market before they would commit. Just a thought. Otherwise, it makes no sense at all.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-10-16 08:12 PM
    I believe the Mercury project was cancelled, but was revived after a potential licencee wanted BlackBerry to test the pkb market before they would commit. Just a thought. Otherwise, it makes no sense at all.
    I don't see a whole lot of sense in that either.
    But as recent events have reminded me, anything can happen.
    11-10-16 08:40 PM
    Once More With Feeling .
    11-11-16 05:53 AM
    It's a new maneuver called the "flailpivot".
    11-11-16 06:58 AM
    But wait there more......

Posted via CB10
    11-11-16 08:39 AM
    Between ~8:04 and ~9:04 in the video is just amazing.
    If anybody can glean a coherent message out of that I am all ears.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-11-16 08:55 AM
    You're only now starting to wonder about him?

I can see the introduction for the Mercury now:

"So we aren't making phones anymore. We want to focus on the smart in the phone. Really, our future is software. Oh, and IoT because that's really where the industry is going..."

"oh, if you're still listening we have this new phone with a physical keyboard. We think people want physical keyboards still. If not, we'll stop making this thing, but we think people want it. So it's going to be available soon, probably around next fiscal quarter depending on who wants to make it. If people don't want this, of course, we won't make it because, you know, we are a software company that also does IoT."

"Oh, and look this phone runs the Google"
    11-11-16 08:56 AM
    You're only now starting to wonder about him?
    Honestly I thought he was doing this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty...p_your_balance

But now I think its more like this...

Starting to wonder about JC-hudsuckerproxy7.png
    11-11-16 09:10 AM
    Or someone at BlackBerry already put order like what happened with Passport SE?
    �\_(ツ)_/�

I'm bloody confuse too lol
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-11-16 09:18 AM
    It's a new maneuver called the "flailpivot".
    Uzi likes this.
    11-11-16 09:30 AM
    Or someone at BlackBerry already put order like what happened with Passport SE?
    �\_(ツ)_/�

I'm bloody confuse too lol
    For the DTEK60 maybe.
    For the Mercury not so much.
    11-11-16 09:31 AM
    You're just now starting to wonder?
    11-11-16 09:33 AM
    I think whoever does the marketing has either given up or been fired. One last phone and then we're definitely done with hardware isn't the most compelling message. It's like he thinks it's some kind of encore or something - "OK, just for you guys, one more keyboard phone!"
    DrBoomBotz and Q10Bold like this.
    11-11-16 09:36 AM
    Coming soon! Definitely! Maybe!
    Flatman likes this.
    11-11-16 09:46 AM
    I'm curious about this from a shareholder point of view.

The earnings call is somewhere that he has to be honest and clear, otherwise there can be legal ramifications if he's misleading the shareholders. He said then that they would have hardware off the books by the fiscal year end.

Since then they've introduced the DTEK60 and now he's committing to a new PKB phone. If they both flop and end up costing the company another few hundred million dollars, how does he square that to the shareholders?

We're getting out of hardware, but before we do, let me just burn through a bit more capital first...

I'm really curious about this.
    TGR1, DrBoomBotz, JeepBB and 3 others like this.
    11-11-16 11:05 AM
    The messaging is a bit weak to say the least! However, the strategy, I think, is fine.
    Think of the other company that only made the OS and contracted/licensed other people to make the phones. Yes, that would be Google ... and now that they are firmly #1 in market share, they are finally starting to make their own hardware.

Previously they had the likes of HTC, LG, etc. make their gear. It is way cheaper that way. Whether Blackberry can command that sort of demand is to be seen.

JC, I think the problem is he doesn't know how to be a consumer company CEO when every Joe Average is listening and analyzing your every word. Steve Jobs, now that was a guy who knew how to play that game...
    11-11-16 11:09 AM
    Since then they've introduced the DTEK60 and now he's committing to a new PKB phone. If they both flop and end up costing the company another few hundred million dollars, how does he square that to the shareholders?
    Sunk costs. Either the design work was already done or the contractual agreements to manufacture these devices were already executed. You will have more of a case if you see a lot being spent on marketing and distribution which, I'll bet, you don't. I predict a the softest of soft launches.
    jng0705 likes this.
    11-11-16 12:25 PM
    ǝɯ ǝsnɟuoɔ noʎ
    11-11-16 12:36 PM
    Sunk costs. Either the design work was already done or the contractual agreements to manufacture these devices were already executed. You will have more of a case if you see a lot being spent on marketing and distribution which, I'll bet, you don't. I predict a the softest of soft launches.
    If that were the case why announce the exit from hardware?
    11-11-16 12:38 PM
    If that were the case why announce the exit from hardware?
    If you're winding down your core business like this, you've probably got a 12 month pipeline of developed and ordered hardware. However, you can't close up hardware operations without some kind of explanation as entire departments have been shut down. Products in progress are going to show up many months afterwards, though.
    jng0705 likes this.
    11-11-16 01:01 PM
    I'm curious about this from a shareholder point of view.

The earnings call is somewhere that he has to be honest and clear, otherwise there can be legal ramifications if he's misleading the shareholders. He said then that they would have hardware off the books by the fiscal year end.

We're getting out of hardware, but before we do, let me just burn through a bit more capital first...

I'm really curious about this.
    Oh the tangled web we weave...

If he planned to do the DTEK60 and Mercury because of agreed purchase commitments (which is what I suspect), then he should have just said that in the call. He could have said we believe in the future of our brand and features in smartphones. Our partners agree. In the best interest of customers and shareholders, we've forged a plan that will allow us to continue to see BlackBerry phones in market around the world. There will be 2 great new phones produced with our partners on our books. Then in 2017 we expect to see our partners produce other great new devices with our technology and brand, and on their own books.
    11-11-16 01:23 PM
    I have absolutely no idea what Chen is thinking. I thought he was a rational businessman running a serious business and his actions and likely reactions could be anticipated to some degree - I doubt that now.

None of the recent statements from the various BB Execs can be reconciled as all are in conflict with each other and even statements made by Chen are in conflict with other statements made by Chen!

The only "plan" that makes any sense is Conite's "they're doing this to prove (to potential licensees) that the BB logo has a value", and I'm not sure even that makes that any business sense.

I see no "plan" whatsoever. Chen is simply reacting to events and making strategy up as he goes based on whatever questions an interviewer asks.

On the other hand, this is why I keep watching BB. It's not a business anymore, it's a Latin American soap-opera where no plotline is too fantastic to include.

I'm waiting for the episode where John Chen is revealed as Steve Jobs' secret love child... that'll be a zinger!
    11-11-16 01:31 PM
    I see no "plan" whatsoever. Chen is simply reacting to events and making strategy up as he goes based on whatever questions an interviewer asks.

On the other hand, this is why I keep watching BB. It's not a business anymore, it's a Latin American soap-opera where no plotline is too fantastic to include.
    It's interesting, but it's also very frustrating. This was an important company once. I just can't stomach how terrible they are at normal things that businesses have to be good at. Even a software company needs strategy and communications and executives who actually coordinate with each other.

I'm waiting for the episode where John Chen is revealed as Steve Jobs' secret love child... that'll be a zinger!
    Maybe Thorsten's identical twin returns with 10.3.3 in hand?
    11-11-16 01:38 PM
    Maybe Thorsten's identical twin returns with 10.3.3 in hand?
    Quite possibly.

For older readers: recent events in the BB Soap Opera make the infamous "Bobby in the shower" plot twist from Dallas (where the previous two seasons were revealed to be a dream so that the dead Bobby could return to the show) seem like Shakespearean drama!
    Jack Chin and shaleem like this.
    11-11-16 01:46 PM
60 123