How is it that BlackBerry hasn't hopped on board with integrating BB10 more quickly with products already running off of QNX software? I mean, how ridiculous is it that there are iOS apps for OnStar etc that is powered by QNX (along with a s#$t ton of other other manufacturers info-tainment systems) yet none for BB10?
    Start pushing the fact that OnStar is 'powered by BlackBerry ', start integrating BB10 devices and pumping out apps for what you already have out in the marketplace that 99% of the population other than those who have taken the time to look into what QNX powers are aware of. People have no frigging clue how much crucial infrastructure and in-vehicle software has been powered by QNX/BlackBerry for years running rock-solid software. Make this your tag line. Sure other companies won't like it, but BlackBerry should stop reinventing the wheel so much right now. I LOVE BB10 and wish this would be one of the moves they would make now.
    Anyways, I'm no tech guy other than loving BlackBerry products for years but the fact that there are iOS apps for OnStar for example boggles my mind, especially when it's something that is everywhere these days and nobody (generally speaking) has a clue that it's powered by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 11:13 AM
    It is odd, especially since an OnStar app was demoed a while back by QNX at one of the car shows. I think it was demoed on the PlayBook.
    06-29-13 11:20 AM
    BB have never been good at marketing ..
    06-29-13 11:29 AM
    It's not exactly up to BBRY to advertise this. Even if they wanted to, they would have to obtain permission from Onstar and there's no reason whatsoever for Onstar to advertise that it uses QNX. Perhaps if BBRY paid them, but where does that get them? They would be advertising QNX.

As for the iOS app thing..... BBRY doesn't own Onstar. Onstar is free to make whatever app they want for their service.
    06-29-13 11:36 AM
    As for the iOS app thing..... BBRY doesn't own Onstar. Onstar is free to make whatever app they want for their service.
    No they don't, but BlackBerry 10 is powered by the same software backbone and would be presumably easy to develop an app for. BlackBerry should be working themselves towards providing the tools to integrate with their own solutions that are powering numerous systems people have no idea about.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 11:40 AM
    No they don't, but BlackBerry 10 is powered by the same software backbone and would be presumably easy to develop an app for. BlackBerry should be working themselves towards providing the tools to integrate with their own solutions that are powering numerous systems people have no idea about.

Posted via CB10
    No... not exactly. It all depends on the SDK and APIs that are available to the developer. The fact that it uses the same underpinning OS is almost irrelevant. It's like saying developing software for a Mac is same as developing for Linux because both have roots in Unix.
    06-29-13 11:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    The automotive platform is open. The moment BlackBerry implies it is not that could cause problems.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    06-29-13 12:54 PM
    Like I say, I'm no programmer but it just seems like they should be pumping out apps that work with QNX based systems since they own the company and have based BB10 off it. Letting Apple and others allow apps into their own marketplace and nothing on the horizon for BlackBerry World is ludicrous. I understand they're pushing their car platform, but they should be putting apps out there to work in conjunction with the existing platforms as well to bide their time before bringing the car platform to market.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 03:39 PM