Putting my 9700 in an Otterbox defender case means that my phone is not going into automtic stand by mode as with the BB supplied case. Is this going to be a real drain on the battery? Is there any way round this?
    Thanks people!!
    02-27-10 03:31 PM
    Putting my 9700 in an Otterbox defender case means that my phone is not going into automtic stand by mode as with the BB supplied case. Is this going to be a real drain on the battery? Is there any way round this?
    Thanks people!!
    The Defender clip has a magnet in it and it does sleep. Make sure it did not fall out. Right below the clip on the back of the unit.
    02-27-10 04:12 PM
    I dont use the clip so thats going to mean no magnet right? Can I put it to sleep manually?
    02-27-10 04:22 PM
    On most of te previous models it was "hold the Mute button" for a few seconds, and it is confirmed on screen. Not sure if that works on 9700 / v5.0 software.
    02-27-10 04:26 PM
    The standby button is right on the top right of the phone if you
    want to do it manually. It's a dedicated convenience key to just
    standby. On the left is the keyboard lock.
    02-27-10 04:30 PM
    cool thanks!! Does it make a big difference to the battery life having the phone in stand by?
    02-27-10 04:34 PM
    To tell you the truth I've used a Bold 9000 and now 9700 and all I do is the auto
    keyboard lock when slipping the phone in my holster. Haven't had any effect on
    battery life for me personally. Varies from user to user. You can only find out for
    yourself after using it this way for a few days.
    02-27-10 04:35 PM
    Thanks will try for a few days. No longer using holster, only otterbox defender and not the clip. So guess im gonna manually put it into standby.
    02-27-10 04:41 PM
    I have the Otterbox Defender case and it has the magnet in it. However, when I put the phone in the holster it does not go into standby mode. The battery is wearing out quickly. Also with the case on the "Standby/Mute" button at the top does not work, or I could put the phone on standby manually. Any ideas/suggestions on how to get the phone to go into standby once in the holster? Thanks in advance for your help. I want to keep the case, the otterbox defender case & holster work great except for the standby problem. THANK YOU!!
    07-06-10 07:09 PM
    I never put my phone into standby and use it all day. I listen to audiobooks and surf the web, BBM and text. I still have more then half of my battery left at bedtime

I think you will be surprised at how good the battery really is
    07-06-10 07:34 PM
    I have the Otterbox Defender case and it has the magnet in it. However, when I put the phone in the holster it does not go into standby mode. The battery is wearing out quickly. Also with the case on the "Standby/Mute" button at the top does not work, or I could put the phone on standby manually. Any ideas/suggestions on how to get the phone to go into standby once in the holster? Thanks in advance for your help. I want to keep the case, the otterbox defender case & holster work great except for the standby problem. THANK YOU!!
    Why isn't it going into standby? Are you placing the unit in the case the right way? The SPACEBAR should face the magnet - which means screen faces IN. You should be able to see the magnet disk on the spring clip side of the holster.
    07-06-10 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD