Oh so it's RIM's fault some stabbed someone? Just like it's the weather man's fault I got wet cause he said it wasn't going to rain.
    I don't think anyone alleged that RIM promised party-goers they wouldn't be stabbed, so I'm not sure you can analogize this story to a weather prediction. At any rate, it's certainly not RIM's fault that some crazy person acted like a crazy person.
    04-04-12 03:08 PM
    It's not RIM's fault but a great reason to pile on them. Here's Wired's take, sounds like he just did a Google search for "Bad news RIM" :

RIM’s luck is so awful, it’s laughable. The company’s share price is tanking. Users are abandoning BlackBerry handsets. And now, even at RIM parties, people are going home hurt — seriously.

A man was stabbed in the neck at a RIM-hosted event in London on Tuesday evening, according to multiple reports from partygoers and local media. The party was held to celebrate RIM’s BlackBerry Messenger service, a messaging tool incredibly popular in the United Kingdom. The weapon in question? A broken bottle, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal.

The company’s response was swift, though terse. “A serious incident occurred at our BlackBerry event tonight,” RIM told Wired in an e-mailed statement. “Our first concern is the well-being of the injured guest.”

BBC Channel 4 technology correspondent Benjamin Cohen, who was at the show, told NME that after the stabbing, the crowd rushed to leave in a flurry of tears and vomit (again, seriously). “People were crying and quite a lot were being sick, whether from the blood or the alcohol,” Cohen said. “A lot of people here were teen users of BlackBerry who don’t seem to have had a free drink before. It is atrocious for BlackBerry.”

At this point, “atrocious” is an understatement. Let’s count a few ways the company has had egg on its face over the past year:

The BlackBerry PlayBook, RIM’s supposed comeback device, launches in April 2011 to lukewarm (at best) reviews. No one buys it.
    Two RIM employees are kicked off an airplane for being too wasted. The story makes headlines everywhere.
    Rioting in London spreads like wildfire, thanks to RIM’s BlackBerry Messenger service.
    Hackers find a vulnerability in the Webkit browser, highlighting flaws in RIM’s most important feature: Security.
    RIM releases its fourth-quarter earnings, which are more dismal than even Wall Street had anticipated.
    Dude is stabbed in neck at RIM party. The story makes headlines everywhere.

We’ll offer you this advice, RIM: Don’t go to Vegas anytime soon. Your luck sucks.
    RIM's Follies Continue as Man Is Stabbed at BlackBerry Party | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    04-04-12 03:26 PM
    The legal drinking age in the UK is 18.
    The legal age that a child can drink in the home is 5 years old (something to do with if the child needs anisthetic).
    A teenager under 18 cannot drink in a public place, a person cannot purchase alchohol who is under 18years old.

So as long as it was a private party they can be under 18,
    Having said that I'm not sure as to the morality of that.

We do seem to have a really bad drinking culture in this country (UK) kids seem unable to enjoy themselves these days without it, sad.
    04-04-12 04:22 PM
    I hope the victim recovers.
    People who cannot handle drinking, should never drink any intoxificating beverages. I know my limits. I have seen brawls on Bloor street across the local bar mid-intersection, even in the middle of queen street.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    04-06-12 01:21 AM
    Those two people will have their life's changed forever, one might see jail time and have only police record for the rest of his life and the other will probably have some nasty scars, physical and mental no doubt.

When I saw him I thought the police were restraining him at first, then realised they were holding his neck really tight and the dark stuff on the floor was his blood. Sad.
    04-06-12 03:46 AM
    PS, I'll post some videos from the event later tonight.
    04-06-12 03:49 AM
    Sad, regardless of whose party it was. I know the legal drinking age in the UK is 18, but most 18-year olds are children or at least act like children. Children shouldn't drink.

I hope the victim recovers soon.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    04-06-12 06:47 AM
    The terms and conditions of the competition was age 18+ and RIM UK enforced this.
    I was at the party and saw nobody misbehaving or ill through alcohol.
    The wonderful British media blew things right out of proportion (once again)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    daveycrocket likes this.
    04-07-12 01:05 PM
    Here's a video from it:

04-07-12 05:13 PM
    And another quick video of the BBM animation on the big screen behind the stage:

04-07-12 05:16 PM
    Here's a video from it:

Very nice performance.

Sent via tapatalk using the Samsung Galaxy Note
    04-07-12 05:25 PM
    It has been reported here in the UK this morning that the victim of this attack has since died. RIP

BBC News - Man dies after Pulse nightclub stabbing in Southwark
    04-08-12 05:55 AM
    It has been reported here in the UK this morning that the victim of this attack has since died. RIP

BBC News - Man dies after Pulse nightclub stabbing in Southwark
    Oh man, that's terrible news it's hard to belive it's true

RIP, such a waste of a life
    04-08-12 06:22 AM
    Yeah I heard this just after it happened.

People are getting stabbed in London, daily. Its just an awful coincidence that it happened at a Blackberry party.

04-08-12 08:32 AM
    So as it turns out they were no yobs, they were both professional people, Ashley Charles the killer was an award winning creative director and Phillip Sheriff was actually working for Rim in O2 telecommunications. Go figure.
    04-08-12 02:21 PM
    Sad news indeed. Two lives ruined
    04-08-12 07:22 PM
    So as it turns out they were no yobs, they were both professional people, Ashley Charles the killer was an award winning creative director and Phillip Sheriff was actually working for Rim in O2 telecommunications. Go figure.
    Sucks that a good time can be ruined so quickly. Sad for the victim, yet sad for the offender needing to resort to violence to try and solve their problems.
    04-08-12 07:28 PM
    Sad news indeed. Two lives ruined
    more then 2 lifes if you think about it what about both partys familys it will effect them as well sadley pointless attack in my view
    04-08-12 07:34 PM
    The UK Telegraph reports that the accused is in fact a director for RIM. SO both parties worked for RIM? Remember two RIM execs were booted off of an Air Canada flight not too long ago for intoxication and fighting.

Infighting examples like this could be symptomatic of these poor souls being directly downstream of RIM's immediate failures.
    Last edited by blackburberry; 04-10-12 at 11:02 AM.
    04-10-12 10:56 AM
    The UK Telegraph reports that the accused is in fact a director for RIM. SO both parties worked for RIM? Remember two RIM execs were booted off of an Air Canada flight not too long ago for intoxication and fighting.

Infighting examples like this could be symptomatic of these poor souls being directly downstream of RIM's immediate failures.
    No, Ashley Charles was a creative director for a design company, not for RIM.

Edit- the company is Bulb Studios.
    blackburberry and hpjrt like this.
    04-10-12 12:02 PM
    Thanks for the clarification.
    04-10-12 12:44 PM
    The media will always find some way to mislead people and sadly most will take it as true/facts. Until they do their own research into the facts, then they'll be always wondering. Once people know the facts, it is damn hard to be lied to again.
    04-10-12 04:03 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD