[EDIT:] H-E-[double hockey sticks] is what the stars replaced. I wasn't aware that was a bad word - I mean Heaven isn't a bad word and **** is just the opposite... [end of edit]

Recently, I had my unlocked AT&T Blackberry Curve (which I was using on T-Mobile's network for its GPS capabilities) stolen from me while I was at the gym. Because of this, I decided I could just change cell companies and get a better phone for less money and just pay the contract breaking fee with T-Mobile.

So, I went to AT&T and tried out the iPhone 3g. Great phone, great feel, but it didn't have the push email and gps functionality like the Blackberry does, so I returned the phone and went over to sprint (that was AT&T's only 3g phone - until they get the Blackberry Bold).

At sprint, I landed the $99 unlimited EVERYTHING plan and even got a 10% discount for being a credit union member - as a result, I had the blackberry curve 8330 with Telenav Navigator included in the plan for only $89 per month plus $7 for phone insurance. Killer deal!

Well, then I find out that Verizon is coming out with the blackberry Storm. Holy $#!T that phone is sweet and I WANT it! So I transfer over to Verizon (by the way, these companies all have the 30 day trial period, so I am not losing any money here). So I got the Verizon Blackberry 8330 and got them to give me 45 days to exchange the phone so that I had plenty of time before the storm comes to exchange it.

Well, here is where I learned about Verizon ****. I discovered that they lock the GPS functionality on their phones. DEAL BREAKER FOR ME! So I guess I will be heading back to sprint to have them take back my number, then I will return everything back to verizon.

As of now, I believe that Sprint has the best plan and their customer service was rather good. If AT&T could come up with some descent plan costs that were comparible to Sprint, I may consider going back to them when the bold comes out.

So here are my results with cell companies:

T-Mobile (who I was with for 8 years) Pros:
    Great prices, great coverage, great customer service,

Cons:
    Slow data network, however they are working on 3g.

AT&T Pros:
    Good call quality, descent network speed,

Cons:
    no descent smart phones (with the exception of the upcoming Bold) to do what a blackberry user needs

Verizon Pros:
    Better plan cost than AT&T, Good call coverage/quality, Super fast network speed with EVDO revision A

Cons:
    They lock the freakin GPS - to me that means GOOD BYE!

Sprint Pros:

$99 for unlimited everything (**** yes!), Sprint Navigation (Telenav) included in plan, Fast data network (not quite as fast as Verizon yet), Good coverage for the most part, their customer service has gotten a lot better from what I hear (they seemed good to me).

Cons:
    The occasional dropped call, they won't have the bold or storm any time soon
    10-17-08 10:11 AM
    Iwas a Sprint customer for over ten years and am now with VZW. To me Sprint's customer service (which is an oxy-moron) cannot compare to VZW. I also now have coverage in areas that I never had it with Sprint. If I could only get back the countless lost hours trying to get an accurate bill from Sprint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-08 02:28 PM
    $9.99 a month is really worth it for the VZ NAV! i wouldn't leave VZW over this issue and i use the NAV frequently and have been for 4 years.

whatever suits you though!
    10-17-08 04:04 PM
    I use my VZNAV everyday, from local search to maps to cheap gas finder! Definitely worth it in my opinion, but to each his own..
    10-18-08 10:12 AM
    Wait, what? The iPhone is ATTs only 3G phone? What? I had a att and a 3G phone like 2 years ago. Almost all their phones if not all are 3G. Also, I dunno if I'm the only one who thinks CS makes or breaks a company. Its stupid to base which company to pick on CS who you deal with maybe once a year...

10-19-08 09:14 PM
    I have had sprint, AT&T, and Verizon. I would NEVER go back to sprint. Customer service was horrible. I had to call about almost every bill. They would charge more than our contract, charge for things we never had, etc.

AT&T didn't give us the coverage we needed. Tons of dropped calls.
    Verizon fits our needs. Customer service has been wonderful. Coverage is great. People complain about price. I find that odd. Verizon is actually $20-30 less for us.

10-19-08 09:34 PM
    $9.99 a month is really worth it for the VZ NAV! i wouldn't leave VZW over this issue and i use the NAV frequently and have been for 4 years.

whatever suits you though!
    Just think if it was free...mmmmmm What lots of people don't know there's a lot of free GPS programs out there and for verizon to lock there phone is BAD.

Plus, maybe it's just me, i don't switch carries just cause of what phone's they carry. Heck if did that, for one i wouldn't get good cell service and 2 my GPS would be locked and most likely pay more
    10-21-08 06:42 AM
    The GPS is unlocked on the Verizon Storm.
    10-21-08 12:54 PM
    Where did you hear that?

10-21-08 01:22 PM
    Where did you hear that?

Start reading up on the spec;s and reviews on here.. check the Storm thread.....

Read On!
    10-21-08 01:53 PM
    Lol, VZW is notorious for crippling their devices and unfortunatly I doubt it will be any different with the Storm.

10-22-08 12:50 AM
    If you are paying for telenav why would it matter if gps is locked on vzw. the new vz nav is hard to beat and you are still paying for telenav which means it shouldnt matter if gps is locked. You had tmobile which has no gps at all so I dont see why you would want sprint lol. Sprint is by far the worst for customer service and bills that increase every month.
    10-22-08 01:02 AM
    Lol, VZW is notorious for crippling their devices and unfortunatly I doubt it will be any different with the Storm.

Go to the Storm subforum and do a little bit of research. Just a little bit.
    10-22-08 11:36 AM
    Go to the Storm subforum and do a little bit of research. Just a little bit.
    I completely understand the original manufactures specs for their devices & for the most part, those same features & specs make it to carriers such as AT&T, T-Mo, Sprint.....but when it comes to VZW, I'll believe it when I see it in action.
    10-22-08 11:59 AM
    I knew it would finally pay off to be with VZW!!!
    10-22-08 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD