Is it true that sprint wants to nullify there data plan contracts starting in July by not giving you the unlimited plan that you signed up for and giving you sn amount of data that you can use each month and then bill you If you go over? Can they do that If you signed a contract that states you have an unlimited data plan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-08 05:02 PM
    Where did you hear this?
    05-20-08 05:17 PM
    If sprint were to do this, they would lose most of their data customers to other carriers who offer unlimited access.
    You can't believe everything you hear....

05-20-08 05:48 PM
    There is a long thread on this subject on the sprintusers.com forum at:

Sprint is NOW LIMITING DATA USAGE - 5GB - just like the rest... - Page 9 - SprintUsers.com

Seems to have pretty good credibility. Apparently Sprint will limit data plans for air cards and PAM (phone as modem) to 5gb per month, just like AT&T and Verizon currently do. Several internal Sprint emails are quoted.

It apparently does not apply to data for BB plans, unless used pam, which is yet a different and additional data plan.

Evidently it goes into effect July 13, and those under contract will be able to cancel without ETF since it is a change in Terms & Conditions.
    05-20-08 05:54 PM
    This has nothing to do with BB Plans or the SEP plan it's for those who use their BB for PAM and those who use wireless cards for their notebook. The change is bringing them in line with other carriers who limit their data usage to 5 gigs per month.

Relax, unless you're one of those who PAM or have a wireless card you're unaffected by the change
    05-20-08 06:13 PM
    Most major carriers are starting to put soft caps on the data use. Seriously what are people d/l that takes more than 5GB a month on their pda, laptop and other smartphones. But yes its true, also for Verizon, T-Mo can afford to hold off and where is AT&T on this one?
    05-20-08 09:02 PM
    Seriously what are people d/l that takes more than 5GB a month on their pda, laptop and other smartphones. ?
    streams....video...streaming radio, etc. that is what they are trying to control or stop.
    05-20-08 09:48 PM
    I think its BS......it defeats the purpose of the whole unlimited factor....plus I think it would be a breach of contact if there not upholding there side of the contract
    05-20-08 10:08 PM
    Sprint needs to rethink that, that was the one thing they had over all the other companies, now customers will find yet another reason to leave sprint. They need every customer they can get

05-20-08 10:43 PM
    LOLtrue im suprised they have feet left after shooting themselves with th 10 gauge. unfortunatly the 5gig cap umo is true I know a guy who got an internal memo
    05-31-08 12:46 AM
    Again the cap is on Data Cards only, it was confirmed earlier this week over on Boy Genius, which puts them on the same page as all the other carriers.
    05-31-08 01:07 PM
    streams....video...streaming radio, etc. that is what they are trying to control or stop.
    More like something they can charge an added fee for....it's all about revenue, and getting more of it.
    05-31-08 01:36 PM
    More like something they can charge an added fee for....it's all about revenue, and getting more of it.
    not the best way to do it thogh sprints name chould be changed to spit cause that is the direction an speed they are moving in
    05-31-08 10:19 PM
    Sprint needs to rethink that, that was the one thing they had over all the other companies, now customers will find yet another reason to leave sprint. They need every customer they can get

Hey you're forgetting about Sprint TV lol.
    06-05-08 02:30 AM
    verizon has that so dos attt an any device or carier network that suports hsdpa evdo rev a and umts
    06-05-08 02:40 AM
    PAM or phone as a modem is not included in any sprint plan including the simply everything BB plan. When teathered and used as your data conection "PAM" without a plan you will charged the normal .03 cents per KB fee that any sprint phone charges without a data plan. The fee is 30 bucks a month for unlimited PAM but still cheaper than the unlimited aircard plans that run $60. You do get the same EVDO rev A speed, 600-800KB per second that any spint air card offers. You also have to be aware that PAM and air cards only work inside the Sprint data area, not as large as the phone area considering there are no roaming charges with current sprint plans.
    Enjoy
    Davec66, "sprint rep"
    06-05-08 08:50 AM
    This is bad news for PAM'ers. I don't use any of the available features, as long as the BB part of the plan stays unlimited I'm satisfied.
    06-05-08 09:11 AM
    It has to start somewhere, first they limit the cards for data, then RIM sees that all the carriers are doing it and gets away with it, so they decide to cap data. I have a feeling that in 2 years people will be saying "Oh 10 cents per KB isnt too bad, thanks RIM for making it not outrageous for us." As long as it doesnt effect my BB then I am cool, but I almost purhased a data card from Sprint a few weeks ago and would have been very upset if this were the problem. My slingbox alone would eat 5GB just on weekends when I am traveling... Bad move Sprint.
    06-08-08 03:55 PM
    I'm planning to get my wife and I both 8130's tonight with the Sprint family Talk/Message/Data share plan with 1500 talk mins, unlimited data and messaging. In another month when we move i plan to sign up for $15/mo PAM access. If using the 8130 for PAM will that take minuntes away from my 1500 plan mins or be covered under the unlimited data?

Reason i'm thinking this way is that i can drop the $50+/month fee for cable hookup and only spend $15/mo on the PAM. Plan to get Direct TV so won't need cable and there's no FIOS in my area.

If it does takes mins off my 1500 talk mins, would that only apply when at peak hours (i.e. wouldn't lose mins if after 7PM or on weekends)?

I hope these scenarios make sense. Thanks.
    06-19-08 01:33 PM
    I'm planning to get my wife and I both 8130's tonight with the Sprint family Talk/Message/Data share plan with 1500 talk mins, unlimited data and messaging. In another month when we move i plan to sign up for $15/mo PAM access. If using the 8130 for PAM will that take minuntes away from my 1500 plan mins or be covered under the unlimited data?

Reason i'm thinking this way is that i can drop the $50+/month fee for cable hookup and only spend $15/mo on the PAM. Plan to get Direct TV so won't need cable and there's no FIOS in my area.

If it does takes mins off my 1500 talk mins, would that only apply when at peak hours (i.e. wouldn't lose mins if after 7PM or on weekends)?

I hope these scenarios make sense. Thanks.
    I believe that using PAM only uses data, not minutes.
    06-19-08 01:53 PM
    I just got off of the phone with sprint and they said 5gb for PAM and 300MB for BIS over network. Anyone else hear the 300MB part from them?
    06-22-08 12:23 PM
    The 300MB is the limit on roaning data.

06-24-08 11:46 AM
    that makes more sense. The rep I talked to didn't mention anything about roaming.
    06-24-08 05:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD