I have been doing extensive testing of the GPS over the past month that I have had my Tour and can say that it is horrible. The GPS will lock up completely and be unavailable to any application so often that I need to reboot several times a day to get a lock. It even appears that the camera Geotagging of photos can cause the lockup.

It can take almost a minute to get a lock in the camera and if I close the camera, go to BB Maps do a find where I am then go back to the camera, I can lock up the GPS. It will never find my location in the camera and BB Maps will also fail to get my location despite leaving it for several minutes trying to find satellites. This is all within the space of a minute and I have not moved an inch. Reboot, do not move, go to the camera, wait for a minute (literally 60 seconds or more) maybe it will to get a lock, try BB maps, it usually will get a lock. I am running 4.7.1.53.

I understand the nature of GPS and it can take a while to get a GPS lock, but the nature of a cell phone with assisted GPS it should be much faster - on the order of 10-12 seconds for a lock. My Curve certainly was. So I have a frame of reference that shows this phone to be horrible. Now I was running Loopt, so maybe that helped to keep the GPS always primed on my Curve. But, even if I go and get a lock with BB Maps or some other tool first, coming back to the camera, 9 times out of 10 it never gets a lock and when it does it still takes more then a minute.

Then there is the well publicized failure of Google Maps to work at all and the fact that Poynt had to put out a patch specifically to get Sprint Tours to work. I have about a week more before my month is up and I am so close to dumping this disaster from RIM and going back to my Curve where I at least knew its limitations with memory and speed.

Then there is the issue that I can put the BB maps into GPS navigation mode where it is constantly updating my position, then put it in the background and some time later, usually less then 5 minutes, it will have exited on its own. It is no longer in my running programs list.

-frank
    09-27-09 10:56 AM
    If you're talking about Telanav, I have no problem with it and use it all the time. A lot better then BB maps that's for sure.
    09-27-09 12:25 PM
    After having a functioning GPS when Verizon blocked it for years, I don't understand why Sprint allowed this GPS problem to happen. If you are not locked into Sprint, the GPS on the Verizon Tour works with all applications. You might consider switching, if you want a Tour more than you want to stay with Sprint.
    09-27-09 01:23 PM
    Noized, do you use any other GPS app? Do you have geotagging on in the pictures? If not then, yes, Telenav does seem to work ok. It is the multiple GPS apps issues I am seeing. Do you use Google Maps? It does not work. Why do I want Google maps you might ask. Well Latitude for one especially since Loopt does not support this phone yet.

Unfortunately, I am kinda tied to Sprint. My company has a very nice 20% discount for employee owned phones.

-frank
    09-27-09 01:59 PM
    I only use Telenav(SN) b/c it was good enough for me. I don't use geotagging though. I had tried Google map but it was too slow or has a hard locating my position.
    09-27-09 02:23 PM
    i'm confused about GPS on the Verizon Tour.

I have everything enabled but it still doesn't work with Google Latitude.

Instead I get 1300 meter triangulation circles even when outside. What's the deal? Is Google Maps 3.02 still a problem for Verizon GPS on the Tour?
    09-27-09 02:28 PM
    Sprint isint "locking" the gps - they never have. The issue is with the gos chipset used in sprints tour. And I agree w/the OP that it is very frustrating. My sprint 8830we could get a gps fix in any app within seconds, even while inside on a cloudy or rainy day. The difference is unreal.

After having a functioning GPS when Verizon blocked it for years, I don't understand why Sprint allowed this GPS problem to happen. If you are not locked into Sprint, the GPS on the Verizon Tour works with all applications. You might consider switching, if you want a Tour more than you want to stay with Sprint.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-09 04:04 PM
    i'm confused about GPS on the Verizon Tour.

I have everything enabled but it still doesn't work with Google Latitude.

Instead I get 1300 meter triangulation circles even when outside. What's the deal? Is Google Maps 3.02 still a problem for Verizon GPS on the Tour?
    There's no problems using Google Latitude on a VZW Tour. i use it and my location shows within 10-3m.

However, when you press 0 to find your location, it will take a few seconds up to a minute to get a GPS lock. When you navigate away from the Google Latitude screen it seems that the GPS stops working and cell tower location takes over.

i'm not sure why this happens or if it's normal for Latitude to do this. i've confirmed it happens on two Tours.

So, open Latitude and give it a minute before hitting 0 to get your location.

09-27-09 04:12 PM
    Sprint isint "locking" the gps - they never have. The issue is with the gos chipset used in sprints tour. And I agree w/the OP that it is very frustrating. My sprint 8830we could get a gps fix in any app within seconds, even while inside on a cloudy or rainy day. The difference is unreal.
    I didn't mean to imply that Sprint is restricting the use of the GPS in the same manner that Verizon did. But it is an unconscionable mistake for them to allow their customers to be deprived of something they've always had from Sprint at the same time that Verizon gives it to their customers with the same device.
    09-27-09 04:19 PM
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding-but they aren't depriving of anything. The GPS chip works, and is unlocked-as always. BBmaps works, sprint nav and telenav work, poynt works-apps that use gps on the sprint tour all work, with the exception of google maps - but that's an issue google needs to address.

I didn't mean to imply that Sprint is restricting the use of the GPS in the same manner that Verizon did. But it is an unconscionable mistake for them to allow their customers to be deprived of something they've always had from Sprint at the same time that Verizon gives it to their customers with the same device.
    09-27-09 06:42 PM
    Thank you for the clarification. For Sprint users' sake, I'm glad I was wrong. But surely the GPS chip is no different in a Sprint Tour than in a Verizon Tour. I wonder why Google would have a problem with Sprint only?
    09-27-09 06:58 PM
    Yeah I am surprised Google hasn't released a fix or something. Wish they would, I want my google maps gps function back.
    09-27-09 07:09 PM
    Well, the chip used in the sprint tour is different than the one used in the vzw tour...mind bogglimg, I know...lol...but this is supposedly the root of the issue. No word on google yet, other than they've acknowledged its not working. Big help there!

Thank you for the clarification. For Sprint users' sake, I'm glad I was wrong. But surely the GPS chip is no different in a Sprint Tour than in a Verizon Tour. I wonder why Google would have a problem with Sprint only?
    09-27-09 10:33 PM
    There's no problems using Google Latitude on a VZW Tour. i use it and my location shows within 10-3m.

However, when you press 0 to find your location, it will take a few seconds up to a minute to get a GPS lock. When you navigate away from the Google Latitude screen it seems that the GPS stops working and cell tower location takes over.

i'm not sure why this happens or if it's normal for Latitude to do this. i've confirmed it happens on two Tours.

So, open Latitude and give it a minute before hitting 0 to get your location.

Thanks chrisy520. Will try and see if this works.

One more question, please. WHere do you press 0? When I open latitude (3.02) I have an option for MY LOCATION but no "0" option. In GPS I am able to enable everything but don't see an option to press 0. Could you please clarify the process?

Thanks.
    Last edited by dag99; 09-27-09 at 11:23 PM.
    09-27-09 11:12 PM
    My Sprint GPS works flawlessly with all my apps. I use it for driving and finding things enroute. Zero freezes or lock ups. Works great with Poynt since the update of that app. Weatherbug works perfectly and updates as I travel city to city. Working perfectly with Ubertwitter also so all my stalkers know where I am when I tweet. I don't get how people are having such a different experience unless the device is defective. I know it isn't perfect and there are issues but mine is working fine. I am also in KC where their HQ is but I travel outside the metro area for work into other states and it works the same.

09-27-09 11:28 PM
    I use several GPS apps with my sprint Tour and they all work great (except for Google Maps). As far as I know, only 1 app can control the GPS at a time. When I fire up the camera it locks on to the GPS instantly. Are you shutting down 1 GPS app before starting another or just pressing END to get to the home screen and start another?

I just did a trip from Denver to western Montana and back through Yellowstone. I used Telenav, BlackStar, Point, Where, Ubertwitter & the camera all over without a single problem.

To stop the BB Maps program from exiting, change the setting for it not to automatically exit. Its a great feature so that you don't kill your battery if you forget and leave it running in the background..
    Last edited by clexman; 09-28-09 at 01:02 AM.
    09-28-09 12:55 AM
    I've been having huge issues with the gps working for more than 20 seconds at a time, and sprint nav and telenav only work once and from that initial 20 seconds they are no longer able to get a gps lock. Submitted support requests to RIM, Telenav, and Sprint. Probably going to get some face time with someone tomorrow to make sure I get a response. Loathe to turn my device in, my trackball actually works.

Those of you having gps problems green dot or no? Same question to those not having issues.

$0.02

09-28-09 03:20 AM
    I was trying to see if Google Maps for Sprint Tour was fixed yet, but found this thread in addition. I ALSO agree that the Sprint Tour GPS is horrible. I am coming from a Sprint 8830 just prior to this device. I get very inconsistent results (Google Maps has never worked though).

I use Ubertwitter, Poynt, Telenav, BB Maps, and Weatherbug. All of which "work". I will most definitely vouch for the locking being MUCH less reliable and slower than on my Sprint 8830! I don't recall ever having to reboot my 8830 due to GPS issues. Since BB Maps was always the most reliable GPS app, I could always temporarily pull up BB Maps, "kick" the GPS, and once it locks then the other apps would work again. This "kick" method doesn't work reliably on the Tour either. If GPS decides not to work, it just doesn't work. It is not a line-of-sight issue either, since two of my primary locations are home and work, which never had issues before.

I tried looking for a GPS radio strength setting at the sacrifice of some battery power, but cannot find one. If it turns out it is a marginality thing with certain phones, then I would love to do an equipment exchange, since my trackball also has issues with left/right scrolling.

Can anyone vouch for this?
    09-28-09 03:14 PM
    I just got my wife a Garmin nuvi 1200 and have been driving around with that next to the Tour running Sprint's navigation. The voice and "extras" on the Garmin are better but I find the actual navigation to be pretty comparable. Not bad. BlackBerry Maps, on the other hand, is horrible.
    09-28-09 08:56 PM
    I have never had a problem with my GPS in any app except for Google Maps. I just wish Google would fix it because I really don't like any of the other GPS apps out there as much as Google Maps.
    09-30-09 09:17 AM
    Read through the posts and no one provided a real solution for the OPs problems. I have a Sprint Tour and I am having the same sort of problems with my GPS. It works immediately after a reboot of the phone and then when I shut down the particular GPS app and try to use it at a later time, it can no longer get a fix. Anyone else having these problems and can suggest a solution?

My current GPS apps on my phone are: Sprint telenav, BB maps, Trapster, and BBweather. And yes, I properly close all the apps after I am done using them.
    11-14-09 05:20 PM
    Read through the posts and no one provided a real solution for the OPs problems. I have a Sprint Tour and I am having the same sort of problems with my GPS. It works immediately after a reboot of the phone and then when I shut down the particular GPS app and try to use it at a later time, it can no longer get a fix. Anyone else having these problems and can suggest a solution?

My current GPS apps on my phone are: Sprint telenav, BB maps, Trapster, and BBweather. And yes, I properly close all the apps after I am done using them.
    Which OS are you running? I don't have any problems with GPS-related apps since running Sprint 4.7.1.57 (currently running 4.7.1.61). OP's is .53, maybe it's the culprit? I know that GPS got a proper lock with Google Maps after Sprint released .57 OS - although it may be partly due to Google being updated to 3.2 from 3.0.2. I find that Google maps, Poynt and BB maps all work fine now (get good GPS lock) when restarted after being shut down.
    Last edited by dohturdima; 11-14-09 at 05:37 PM.
    11-14-09 05:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD