Sprint is ghetto anyway.
    03-10-14 11:23 AM
    Never understood why sales reps don't need to know anything about the phone market.

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    Same here, you'd think that to work with technology then you would have to know about ALL of the products you're selling not just a few.
    03-10-14 12:45 PM
    Same here, you'd think that to work with technology then you would have to know about ALL of the products you're selling not just a few.
    They need to know about the products that sell.
    03-10-14 12:53 PM
    Hmm, posts like these are both hilarious and horrifying at the same time. One would almost think that they are trying to troll their customers except it's kinda too much. If somebody would tell something like this to me and refuse to sell me a device, I would really get pissed off.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 12:56 PM
    Interesting. I work for Sprint in IT and haven't heard we are doing away with Blackberry. In fact, it is the preferred phone for most the people in our department. Out of 74 of us I would guess that 55 of us have Blackberries. That is just here on the Sprint campus in Overland Park. Don't know about any of the other stations.
    Omnitech, pbeasley and Bdot-1 like this.
    03-10-14 02:07 PM
    Does anyone else ever wonder why there is never an actual rep/salesperson from a carrier that comes to any of these forums to either defend reps in general or say anything that would remotely be of interest to the members?

Oh, but they do. For example, check out the comment that was posted just after yours - he apparently has something to do with the retail industry, perhaps the mobile phone industry, based on previous comments, and appears to take these allegations personally:

Ok look, yet another thread about:

• salesperson ignorance
    • a customer running away instead of asking for the manager
    • people cutting down the integrity of the profession
    • a person believing a sales rep can speak to the entire corporation's strategy
    • retailers not supporting BlackBerry anymore
    • blah, blah, blah

We haven't seen one of these accounts since last week.

One of the oldest sales techniques when the business does not have or support the product a customer wants is telling the customer that they are not carrying or supporting the product because "it's not a good product" or "because they are going out of business". They want you to think they just did you a favor by steering you towards a product they want you to buy. And (according to the OP) it works very well..........

And I will tell you that as a person who spent over 10 years in retail sales, that is spot-on.

Actually as an ethical sales professional, one doesn't trash the competition with made-up lies and disinformation, but instead focuses on your product's strengths and perhaps fair contrasts with the competition. But there are lots of unethical salespeople in the world.
    03-10-14 02:24 PM
    Interesting. I work for Sprint in IT and haven't heard we are doing away with Blackberry. In fact, it is the preferred phone for most the people in our department. Out of 74 of us I would guess that 55 of us have Blackberries. That is just here on the Sprint campus in Overland Park. Don't know about any of the other stations.

Thanks for one of the rare pieces of actual useful information in this thread.

I hope someone doesn't come along and accuse you of making up THIS story now too.

That said, I don't think there's any guaranteed link between what the I.T. staff uses and what the company sells in stores.
    03-10-14 02:27 PM
    Next thing the sales reps will be saying is about BlackBerry is that in addition to being out of business and selling their servers, they also sold their buildings.
    Hey now... They freed up unused space. That's A LOT different than selling their servers
    03-10-14 05:57 PM
    I don't think there's any guaranteed link between what the I.T. staff uses and what the company sells in stores.
    Of course not. However, it speaks to the fact that Sprint is not ditching the Blackberry. Employee or not, they still have to support the platform. It also depends on the store you go into. The store here on the Sprint campus, has them readily available. A couple of the sales reps at that store are berry freaks too. Now some of the stores in the suburbs probably have kids working in them that think Apple and Android are the ****.

Blackberries aren't a rare site around here (the campus). I don't think I've ever seen a higher up, honcho type, with anything else. I don't have any idea of their plans though. Our computers show the Z30 in queue. Will it ever be released? Don't know but it shows at one time there was a commitment to the Z30 that hasn't been deleted at this point. With Softbank having a lot of influence now, no one knows their ideas or direction when it comes to platforms. Point remains, no one has said, or even moved toward ridding Sprint of Blackberry. I am as frustrated as anyone else when it comes to updates. 85% of that is on Blackberry themselves. We test, find an issue, ask for a revision. They get that out for further testing on their own time. They are the ones that actually push the updates. It runs though our servers, so far as the subscriber lists, that's about it on our end.
    03-11-14 03:47 PM
    Of course not. However, it speaks to the fact that Sprint is not ditching the Blackberry. Employee or not, they still have to support the platform. It also depends on the store you go into. The store here on the Sprint campus, has them readily available. A couple of the sales reps at that store are berry freaks too. Now some of the stores in the suburbs probably have kids working in them that think Apple and Android are the ****.

Blackberries aren't a rare site around here (the campus). I don't think I've ever seen a higher up, honcho type, with anything else. I don't have any idea of their plans though. Our computers show the Z30 in queue. Will it ever be released? Don't know but it shows at one time there was a commitment to the Z30 that hasn't been deleted at this point. With Softbank having a lot of influence now, no one knows their ideas or direction when it comes to platforms. Point remains, no one has said, or even moved toward ridding Sprint of Blackberry. I am as frustrated as anyone else when it comes to updates. 85% of that is on Blackberry themselves. We test, find an issue, ask for a revision. They get that out for further testing on their own time. They are the ones that actually push the updates. It runs though our servers, so far as the subscriber lists, that's about it on our end.
    Aha... so now we have someone in an actual carrier's IT department stating the problem is 85% on BlackBerry. Makes sense and I agree.

But... will the ostriches around here now quit bashing the carriers and hold BlackBerry accountable?

I doubt it.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    03-11-14 04:29 PM
    They need to know about the products that sell.
    Only if they are biased towards those products. As an unbiased salesman you would have to know about all the products the company sells, regardless of your personal preference.

The problem is commission based sales systems along with targets which force employees to sell the products that make them and the company the most money, in this case Android!!
    03-11-14 04:32 PM
    Only if they are biased towards those products. As an unbiased salesman you would have to know about all the products the company sells, regardless of your personal preference.

The problem is commission based sales systems along with targets which force employees to sell the products that make them and the company the most money, in this case Android!!
    So why doesn't BlackBerry provide incentives for those sales reps? Oh yeah...they don't care.
    03-11-14 05:39 PM
    They sold their servers? Haha. What is wrong with reps... Do they know anything??
    Does Sprint maybe maintain their own Blackberry Servers? Could that be what their talking about? Wouldn't this only be for BBOS?
    03-11-14 05:43 PM
    Aha... so now we have someone in an actual carrier's IT department stating the problem is 85% on BlackBerry. Makes sense and I agree.

But... will the ostriches around here now quit bashing the carriers and hold BlackBerry accountable?

I doubt it.

It's amazing how far people will stretch things into bizarre shapes to make them fit their preconceptions.

"See - the fact that this guy who maintains file servers or configures desktop PCs for the HR department or accounting staff says people in the company still have BlackBerries means the sales rep was lying about BlackBerry sales in their stores!!"

Do you even know what "I.T. staff" means? Hint: it does NOT generally mean: "Cellular-network qualification tester".

Eric Schmidt still uses a BlackBerry too. Doesn't mean that Google is going to dump Android and switch their customers over to BlackBerry 10.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-11-14 07:00 PM
    So why doesn't BlackBerry provide incentives for those sales reps? Oh yeah...they don't care.
    LOL. Are you 12?

Try this: they have no money.
    03-11-14 07:01 PM
    Does Sprint maybe maintain their own Blackberry Servers? Could that be what their talking about? Wouldn't this only be for BBOS?
    It's BS.

Updates are downloaded directly from BlackBerry's infrastructure. The carriers are simply responsible for flipping the "go switch".

Though if they're smart, like any other large internet provider, they will use proxy servers to minimize the external transit costs for repeatedly-downloaded content, just like when you go look at the latest dancing bear video that your Aunt Minnie sends you a YouTube link to. (Either that or just inform you that you have to download it via WiFi, like AT&T does.)
    03-11-14 07:05 PM
    LOL. Are you 12?

Try this: they have no money.
    No, I'm not 12.

BlackBerry took delivery on a $25 million private jet last summer and got a multi billion dollar injection last fall. They have money.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-11-14 07:25 PM
    It's amazing how far people will stretch things into bizarre shapes to make them fit their preconceptions.

"See - the fact that this guy who maintains file servers or configures desktop PCs for the HR department or accounting staff says people in the company still have BlackBerries means the sales rep was lying about BlackBerry sales in their stores!!"

Do you even know what "I.T. staff" means? Hint: it does NOT generally mean: "Cellular-network qualification tester".

Eric Schmidt still uses a BlackBerry too. Doesn't mean that Google is going to dump Android and switch their customers over to BlackBerry 10.
    I realize you're doing the best you can to prove your point.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    03-11-14 07:32 PM
    I realize you're doing the best you can to prove your point.
    Thanks, it was already proven.

BlackBerry took delivery on a $25 million private jet last summer and got a multi billion dollar injection last fall. They have money.

Nice try. I don't think so.

But keep trying, we can always use some filler to keep the post numbers up.
    03-11-14 07:39 PM
    No. They don't have any excess cash flow....
    As far as the Jet...
    "The company considered several options and selected a used Bombardier aircraft, which was eventually delivered in July," the company said in a statement. "In light of the company's current business condition, the company has decided to sell that aircraft along with the two legacy aircraft and will no longer own any planes."
    03-11-14 07:39 PM
    No. They don't have any excess cash flow....
    As far as the Jet...
    Pretty sure they still own at least one private jet as they use one for Chen's commute from California.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-11-14 07:56 PM
    Thanks, it was already proven.
    Not even close.

But you HAVE proven a point that someone else made better than I... your attitude says more about you than anyone else.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    03-11-14 08:32 PM
    Pretty sure they still own at least one private jet as they use one for Chen's commute from California.
    Ok. So, rather than admit you're information was incorrect... Let's just find something to say in rebuttal, right?...

OK. As far as what you have now raised... What multinational company doesn't have at least a single plane for business use?
    After all it *IS* multinational, correct?????? Let me know when you have a company name....
    Also, whether you like it or not, travel was part of his compensation package to attract him.
    Prem Watsa, CEO of Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., BlackBerry’s largest shareholder, defended Mr. Chen’s compensation when it was disclosed Thursday, saying the company needed to get the best possible management. “Once we saw John Chen, we had to work to make sure we could attract him,” Mr. Watsa said.
    During its last fiscal year, BlackBerry provided Thorsten Heins with $123,033 worth of personal travel time on the company aircraft, plus another $18,000 to cover the taxes for that benefit. That benefit is likely to be substantially higher for Mr. Chen, who would commute from his home in California, a company spokesman confirmed.

And, as part of his compensation, he will be provided with use of a private jet........... said a person familiar with the talks.
    He negotiated a lucrative deal for his employment where he was wanted and requested.
    Don't try to call him out on that because you didn't do the same.
    It's only wrong when others do not have it. If that was you, I bet you would swear you earned it.
    03-11-14 08:39 PM
    But you HAVE proven a point that someone else made better than I... your attitude says more about you than anyone else.

So instead of better supporting your assertions here, you resort to ad hominem, eh?

If you'd rather not look foolish, then you have 2 choices: don't post anything, or actually try to rebut my point that someone who configures desktop PCs for the accounting department who sees some Blackberries in use at the home office does not have any inherent connection to whether or not that brand will be sold in their stores.

Microsoft used to run a bunch of Unix servers too. Has nothing to do with changing all their products over to Unix.

Though I expect you'll just try the insults again, since you're obviously out of rhetorical ammo.
    03-11-14 11:07 PM
    Yes they did! I also believe Chen is currently continuing this everywhere, even for most of the buildings in Waterloo!
    BlackBerry to divest Canadian real estate holdings - The Globe and Mail
    You do know that they" sold" it to Brookfield, who are part of the recent investor Group headed by Fairfax?

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 11:28 PM
101 12345